Author Topic: really excited for this year's mango festival  (Read 13963 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
really excited for this year's mango festival
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
after watching for years from afar, with saliva adrooling, i will be able to make it to this year's Fairchild mango festival. so psyched!.
anyone else planning on going?

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Re: really excited for this year's mango festival
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
lycheeluva, I am going too.  Hope to see you there!

Adiel
Adiel

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
I'm still on the fence. I went last year for the first time and the reviews on garden web were spot on. I enjoyed the free sampling table got a chance to try St. Maui, Malika, Alphonse, and some others that were great. I was let down though because I was under the impression that you could buy almost any mango and really you "can" but it's in the form of an auction and I'm not down for severely overpaying for a mango. Then they had this tent were they had mangos for sale and those mangos were just alright: ivory, keitt, ataulfo, and the nastiest mango I have had "toda puri" sp*. I'm like I can't believe I drove down here from Vero Beach to be able to buy a champagne mango, it's not a bad mango just I can get it on the corner at whole foods... You pay to get in and then you pay for practically everything else and the biggest issue is that you are in an incredibly hot swelltering tropical humid rain forest lol.....you will sweat, sweat alot were those athletic wicking clothes if you go!

I take it back after writing this I really just live to far away, and I'm not going this year.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »
after watching for years from afar, with saliva adrooling, i will be able to make it to this year's Fairchild mango festival. so psyched!.
anyone else planning on going?

This year the theme is "The Mangoes of Wild Alaska" so I'm definitely going

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
I'll see you there. I go every year. Yea its hot in July but if you like tropical fruit, hot muggy days are the optimal time to see lots of fruit.  FTG sells about a dozen cultivars from the FTG farm for $2 each, depending on how well the trees produced. Those are clearly labeled as being grown by FTG.   If you buy the imported "junk mangos" for $1 each, then you are likely to be very disappointed. The FTG mango tasting is OK but the samples are small due to the huge crowds and it's kinda tough to make a real flavor judgement.  The festival is more of an event and there will be mango-flavored everything including pastries, beer, ice cream, shakes and other foods. The lecture schedule is outstanding and you can also purchase plenty of rare grafted mango cultivars for around $35. Is it worth going to? Absolutely, especially if you have never beenl   Now, if you want to taste & buy many rare mango cultivars in one place, there is a gentleman in this Forum known as Harry the "King of Mangos" who can certainly help.               
FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »
Thanks, Noel.  I don't know about king......maybe an arch duke or something.  Anyway, Noel is pretty much right on the money in describing the festival.  It is a must for everyone on this forum that has any interest in mangoes to go....at least once.  If you have not seen Fairchild Gardens, then this is the perfect excuse to go.  Is it cheap? No.  Is it hot?  Exceedingly. Are there too many people? Absolutely.  Will you get to taste a sampling of many types of mangoes that you would have never tasted?  No doubt.  Will some of those samples taste unremarkable and really not representative of the fruit it came from.  Unfortunately.  Will you want to go back again and again?  Well....for the really dedicated, like Noel....maybe.  I have been probably 5 times in the past couple of decades.  I go mostly for the trees that are available to buy, the mango preparations made by local restaurants and chefs and the lectures.  Its also nice to see lots of folks you don't get to see all of the time in the mango world.  The tasting is usually a disappointment for me.  Its so hard to do a tasting for a large group of people.  The best thing is to sit down at a picnic table in my yard with a box full of mangoes and then cut them open one at a time, allowing whoever you are sharing the experience to each get  to tast the fruit freshly cut.  Even in my small tastings, allowing mangoes to sit in the open air for an hour can change the total flavor and even texture of the fruit.  So what does that say about prepparing small squares of mango fruit cut days before, refrigerated or even sometimes frozen to have enough available for the throngs of people at the festival. Nothing good....unfortunately.  But every once in a while, I have come across a taste of a particular mango (even though it had been cut up for a day or two) or a case of mangoes for sale or something that was sort of unexpected that  was able to buy/encounter that made the whole visit worth all of the excessive sweating and crowding issues.  So, for those who are going, please condsider a stop over to my place to see what I am talking about.  Assuming I am in town, of course.  The festival is always around my birthday and we have been know to travel during that time. Hope to see you this summer!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »
It is an event, and I find myself going almost every year.  My daughter loves it for the food and atmosphere, I like it when I am able to purchase a new or interesting variety of mango tree.  Good food, local wine, etc..  I see it as a mango celebration without enough mango..  I'll likely go again this year all being said.

If you want to eat some really great mango's and see some incredible trees, an invitation to Harry's place is the ticket.

Another event that can vary from incredible to just OK is the Mango Mania at the fruit and spice park.  Really depends on the year and what they have available ..

http://www.fruitandspicepark.org/index.php?option=com_rsevents&view=events&layout=show&cid=201:mango-mania&Itemid=65

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »
It is an event, and I find myself going almost every year.  My daughter loves it for the food and atmosphere, I like it when I am able to purchase a new or interesting variety of mango tree.  Good food, local wine, etc..  I see it as a mango celebration without enough mango..  I'll likely go again this year all being said.

If you want to eat some really great mango's and see some incredible trees, an invitation to Harry's place is the ticket.

Another event that can vary from incredible to just OK is the Mango Mania at the fruit and spice park.  Really depends on the year and what they have available ..

http://www.fruitandspicepark.org/index.php?option=com_rsevents&view=events&layout=show&cid=201:mango-mania&Itemid=65

I think I saw you at the mango festival last year. You were sitting at a table about 10 ft away from me but I wasn't sure I all I could remember was "sleep" but not your actual name (I remembered later that day) and so I decided it would be odd if I referred to you as sleep and it wasn't you. I was actually talking to Tony when I noticed you. Thinking back on it now, I am pretty sure it was you.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »
Definately could have been me ...

You should have said "Hi", I am used to being referred to as sleepdoc, happens to me all the time at Car meets and races.

Although, If it wasn't me it may have been kinda weird.... Yeah,  walk up to a stranger and say "Sleep?".. :)

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:51:38 PM »
Photos of some of the FTG-grown mangos that were being sold at last years festival   

FloridaGreenMan

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
I go every year. Its worth it for me just to talk mangoes with other crazies. They also are the only sellers of some of their curator's choice varieties (such as Angie or Emerald).

I enjoy speaking with the experts at the mango display (Campbell, Ledesma, Crane, etc) and taking pictures of the fruit for wiki articles and whatnot.

The tasting table varies based on the quality of the cultivars they choose for it and the stage they are picked at.

My advice.....go early if you just want to check it out and avoid the hottest part of the day. Last year I stayed for the lectures but probably won't this year unless there is a topic that really piques my interest.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 07:44:26 PM »
thanks for all the replies. i def plan to get there bright and ealry to avoid worse of the heat and crowds.
for the reasons you all gave, im way more excited for mango tasting at harry's place, but i certainly would buy30-40 mangoes of different varities to take back to NY, and just to be a part of the whole experience would be a huge thrill. also looking fwd to trying the different foods.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »
Went a few years back and really enjoyed it. Thought it was a great event. Wish we had something like it here. Would love to go again...will have to see if it's possible. Bit of a drive from here. HAHA
BTW, does anyone know when the F&S annual conference will be this year? If i go would like to be able to hit both events.
Oscar
Oscar

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
We go every year, you never know what varieties of trees they may have that are difficult to find anywhere else, be awesome if we can plan a get together there for the people on this forum,this way we can all meet. hopefully see many of you there.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
DH and I are planning to go this year. Missed it last year so want to be sure to make it this time!
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »
maybe we can all meet up at 11am or something like that

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
Went a few years back and really enjoyed it. Thought it was a great event. Wish we had something like it here. Would love to go again...will have to see if it's possible. Bit of a drive from here. HAHA
BTW, does anyone know when the F&S annual conference will be this year? If i go would like to be able to hit both events.
Oscar

Oscar
The F&S fruit conference is every 2 years. See you there in 2013....
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »
It's a great place to go to feel that you are among your own kind, the mango-crazed. Dr. Campbell and the other experts on hand are great folks, personable and patient and enthusiastic, even the 300th time someone asks that dreaded question, "Yes, but what is Your favorite mango."

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
maybe we can all meet up at 11am or something like that

Sounds like a good idea.  11am Saturday or Sunday?

Adiel
Adiel

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
saturday- assuming everything will be fresher for first day of festival

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »
Here is a pic of the F&S mango mania in 2009.  More mango than all the folks there could eat. 

IIRC there were about 30- 40 folks in attendance.  Quite a bounty :)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »
I am planning to go. A meeting spot/time would be great.... I'm game.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
I'll be there.  I been a volunteer at the tree sales for the last 5 or more years on Saturday mornings until about 12 noon.  It is definitely a must-see if you have never been before.  As many have mentioned, the fruit tasting is limited to 10 or so varieties, and when you are serving thousands of samples the quality is not going to be ideal.  Still, you can find some good tasting varieties as well as others that you may never wish to sample again.  :D  In another post someone mentioned that they only liked fresh fruit instead of cooked.  I would suggest a visit to the festival before finalizing your opinion as there are usually many vendors who have incorporated mango into their products, usually including Chef Allen who is one of the better chefs when it comes to using tropical fruit.  At least you can then say you've tried it and still prefer fresh fruit.  Last year the Fruit Hunters team was filming Ken Love as he and Bill Pullman wandered about, so you could be "discovered"!

If you really want to sample a wide variety of mangoes, then go to Harry's!!!!  But if Harry is out of town, then the festival at the Fruit & Spice Park is a good second place.  At half the entrance fee compared to Fairchild, you can sample whatever fruit is available.  Two years ago they had over 150 varieties to sample and they were cut up right in front of your eyes.   Before you pack your bags to come to the Rare Fruit Conference at the Park, it is held every 3 years, so it will be in 2014.  Hope you didn't buy your ticket already!  :P

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »
I will be there this year.  Last year was my first trip.  Yes it was hot and humid, yes there are lots and lots of people, yes the tasting was a let down, yes the actual fruit trees pale in comparison to Harry's....but I still had a good time and bought lots of mangoes I never had.  The lectures are good too, if you can hear the lecturer.  There were some great presentations outdoors except with crowds and people setup to discuss plant diseases right behind the same small tent, the speaker was often drowned out.  Not good.  Indoor lectures were much easier to hear.  Is it perfect?  No.  Pricey? Yes.  Worth, for me with the potential to visit Harry's in the same trip (this is a overseas trip for me) yes. 

So Harry if you will be out of town I need to know!  :). (kidding)

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »
The mango festival traditionally begins with the foot race to the mango tree sale.  (Back away from my Angies, and no one gets hurt)

So, should we meet a little before ten a.m.?    Under the palm tree?  ;)

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »
Ya, fortunately the first thing I did last year when I got there (which was as soon as it opened) was to to secure an 'Angie' tree. They sold out of them by the end of the day.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
Ya, fortunately the first thing I did last year when I got there (which was as soon as it opened) was to to secure an 'Angie' tree. They sold out of them by the end of the day.

Yeah, seems like Angie is the hot tree there.  When they are selling something I want, I make sure I get there when the park opens and I make a mad dash to the tree sale :)

Now I am thinking of Angie ... almost taste one right now from right now, and my tree is loaded with little buckshot mango's. 

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

Yeah, seems like Angie is the hot tree there.  When they are selling something I want, I make sure I get there when the park opens and I make a mad dash to the tree sale :)

Now I am thinking of Angie ... almost taste one right now from right now, and my tree is loaded with little buckshot mango's.

lol, I believe I was literally the first person through the gate to buy a tree at last year's festival. I was not to be denied.

Its nice that they have a holding area so you can just buy the tree and not have to worry about it the rest of the day.

I tried 'Angie' last year and it was fantastic.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:40 PM »

My money is on Zill's new Sweet n Tart (that I got from Jeff Hagen) , mine has buckshot on it too. Probably I'll let none come to maturity this year but it's great to see such signs when some of  my other mangoes have milky spore the Sweet n Tart has none. Just saying it looks good. As far as I know Angie is a winner too.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

lol, I believe I was literally the first person through the gate to buy a tree at last year's festival. I was not to be denied.

Its nice that they have a holding area so you can just buy the tree and not have to worry about it the rest of the day.

I tried 'Angie' last year and it was fantastic.

I was so tempted to accidentally remove your Angie from the holding area.  But figured you were good with a pruning saw and a shovel.....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:57:01 AM by murahilin »

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:12 AM »
I went to the festival several years ago. It is everything that everyone has said so far. The best part (besides buying an Angie and a Jean Ellen) was meeting people from the worldwide fruit community and how friendly everyone was. I met Oscar, Warren, Bryan, and some others whose names I don't recall. I also enjoyed Richard Campbell's lectures. It would be fun to go again....
Erica

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »
I went to the festival several years ago. It is everything that everyone has said so far. The best part (besides buying an Angie and a Jean Ellen) was meeting people from the worldwide fruit community and how friendly everyone was. I met Oscar, Warren, Bryan, and some others whose names I don't recall. I also enjoyed Richard Campbell's lectures. It would be fun to go again....
Erica

Yes ditto. I remember also meeting the famous Asit. I also clearly remember the mango aroma upon entering the hall with all the mango fruits. Was really heady. I thought i was going to go into a mango mania olfactory spin.  ;D Unbelievable!!!
Oscar
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »
Ticket booked today.  I'm all in.  Harry stay home for you birthday!!!!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Ticket booked today.  I'm all in.  Harry stay home for you birthday!!!!

LOL....looks good so far.  Travel plans seem to be early June and early August. Mid-July looks like I'll be home to fend off the hordes of mango fiends....I mean friends.  ;)

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »
When I am in town this won't be a problem for you Harry.  I will fend them off for you!  Last year after we drove down to f&s park and back to see you, poor guy was worn out by all day picking already.  A labour of love.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 07:52:30 AM »
When I am in town this won't be a problem for you Harry.  I will fend them off for you!  Last year after we drove down to f&s park and back to see you, poor guy was worn out by all day picking already.  A labour of love.

Always best to come by earlier rather than later during that time of year.  Its not so bad if I haven't had any crowds during the earlier part of the day, a later afternoon or even early evening  visit is fine.  But when I have had three or four groups through already during the heat of the July swelter, if you come by at 5 pm....you are going to see someone who is has "just about had it."

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »

the hordes of mango fiends....I mean friends.  ;)

Harry

Is that what they call a distinction without a difference?  :)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
Bryan Brunner has posted a photo from the 2003 Mango Festival where several of us met. We are in the 21st photo down.

http://www.montosogardens.com/strange_and_bizarre_fruits.htm

Maurice Kong was the other interesting fellow we met that day.

Erica

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
Thanks, Erica.  Now I know what jaboticaba is supposed to look like.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 03:41:55 AM »
Hello Friends,

I am totally looking forward to getting to the Mango Festival.  Hopefully next year will be the year.

- Jacob

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
Bryan Brunner has posted a photo from the 2003 Mango Festival where several of us met. We are in the 21st photo down.

http://www.montosogardens.com/strange_and_bizarre_fruits.htm

Maurice Kong was the other interesting fellow we met that day.

Erica

Erica Thanks for posting that link. I enjoyed seeing all the photos!
Marin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk