Author Topic: My Fruit Brix Results (Updated 3/18/12)  (Read 4929 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
My Fruit Brix Results (Updated 3/18/12)
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »
I will post regular updates of my new fruit brix tests in this post.

Tonight(2/26/12) I tested some M. vexator fruit. The brix was around 12.5.

Wednesday (3/14/12) I tested cherimoya, jaboticaba, dried sapodilla, apples, and some sort of orange. Harry will fill in the apple and orange variety later.

Sapodilla

Jaboticaba

Jaboticaba

Orange

Apple

Cherimoya

Cherimoya

Cherimoya

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:42:15 PM by murahilin »

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: My Fruit Brix Results
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
Hi,

Good idea. Maybe you could add a little reference to the Brix values of standard fruits so people have something to compare to, like brix for a lemon etc.

Tomas

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:22:55 AM »
I think its best to compare brix with fruit of same type, because even though a lemon is sour, you will find that the brix wont be low as expected.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »
I think its best to compare brix with fruit of same type, because even though a lemon is sour, you will find that the brix wont be low as expected.

Exactly. I think it works better to use it to compare the same variety or different varieties of the same fruit. Doesn't work too well as a comparison between different fruit.

I think if I had a device to check the acidity of the fruit also would be interesting to have to compare with the brix.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
Did you test the cambuca?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
Did you test the cambuca?

Didn't get a chance to. I didn't bring it home. I was so excited at the prospect of orange jello that I ate it right away. I forgot to even take a pic of the inside of the fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »

Exactly. I think it works better to use it to compare the same variety or different varieties of the same fruit. Doesn't work too well as a comparison between different fruit.

I think if I had a device to check the acidity of the fruit also would be interesting to have to compare with the brix.

I think testing for acidity would be more complicated than a brix tester as there are different kinds of acids involved: citric acid, malic acid, glycolic, tartaric, etc. I don't know that there's one device that can test for all the different acids?
Oscar
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:08 AM »
Testing for PH perhaps, would be interesting to see a chart with different fruits, with there Brix and PH.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »
Good idea.

Each variety's BRIX will vary. 

Growers use BRIX for feedback:  Was mineral nutrition optimal? (Calcium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Silicon, etc.)  Has the fruit been on the tree long enough? (Enough sunny days).

Savvy buyers use their own BRIX meters for selecting quality.
Har

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:41:36 PM »
Good idea.

Each variety's BRIX will vary. 

Growers use BRIX for feedback:  Was mineral nutrition optimal? (Calcium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Silicon, etc.)  Has the fruit been on the tree long enough? (Enough sunny days).

Savvy buyers use their own BRIX meters for selecting quality.

I saw a chart online that showed what the optimal brix for different fruit and vegetables were. That is probably something I should keep with me for reference so I can know if I got good quality produce. The only problem is, it gives the optimal brix by species and not by cultivar and it definitely varies by cultivar too. This summer will be interesting to test the differences between different mango varieties.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »

I saw a chart online that showed what the optimal brix for different fruit and vegetables were. That is probably something I should keep with me for reference so I can know if I got good quality produce. The only problem is, it gives the optimal brix by species and not by cultivar and it definitely varies by cultivar too. This summer will be interesting to test the differences between different mango varieties.

I'm glad you're doing that. Keep us posted. I'm sure you also realize that brix reading is going to depend a whole lot on the stage of maturity that a fruit is picked. That jaboticaba picked way early will have a terrible brix reading and taste terrible also. In fact that is one of the main reasons for growers to have brix instrument, so they can pick at optimal stage: to endure weeks of transportation, and still not taste too horribly bland so that some unsuspecting consumer may actually eat it and rebuy it.
Oscar

Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
Re: My Fruit Brix Results (Updated 3/18/12)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:43:13 AM »
High brix on those Cherimoya , I have never tried one, must taste like candy at 22+
William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk