Author Topic: Casimiroa edulis grafting  (Read 3381 times)

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
Casimiroa edulis grafting
« on: February 10, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »
Hi guys, i've seedlings of casimiroa edulis and 1 mature plant... I'd like to graft them... When is the correct period? How?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Casimiroa edulis grafting
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:57:36 AM »
Take scions with un-pushed buds on them and graft. I do whip and tongue. Most other people like cleft graft.

Winter/Spring is good I think. It'll be harder to find unpushed buds after your tree starts growing in spring/summer.

I assume you know how to graft? parafilm.. grafting tape.. just the normal stuff.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:20:12 AM »
Fang,is right all that I would add is you want rootstock to be in growth phase (meaning pushing new growth). A note of interest co-founder of Calif. Rare Fruit Growers Paul Thomson who was in Bonsall,Ca. grafted successfully casimiroa edulis in every month of the year! Good Luck grafting  ;)

Anto989

• View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
Can I proceed in your opinion?

this is the rootstock:

the mother-plant:

the person who will graft  never made this operation on a casimiroa but is a professional on citrus and kiwi mainly

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
White sapote has a long tap root. You'll need to put it in a larger/deeper pot for it to continue growing. I had some seedlings in gallon pots for 2 years and it stayed around 2-3 ft and thin. The same batch of seedlings in the grown grew 10ft and I had to cut it back to graft.

If your weather is not too cold, you can repot and wait for the rootstock to push, and graft at any time like ScottR said.

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »
What about Chip budding?
Is it successful like the grafting methods?

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 02:26:31 AM »
I've done chip buds with White Sapote.  The challenge is getting the buds to push after the buds heal.  You have to do all the usual tricks, and I've had a hard time sometimes getting the buds to push because White Sapote is so vigorous that the rootstock will push growth on so many other buds, and even from suckers from the rootstock.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 02:33:47 AM »
White sapote has a long tap root. You'll need to put it in a larger/deeper pot for it to continue growing. I had some seedlings in gallon pots for 2 years and it stayed around 2-3 ft and thin. The same batch of seedlings in the grown grew 10ft and I had to cut it back to graft.

If your weather is not too cold, you can repot and wait for the rootstock to push, and graft at any time like ScottR said.

Just to add to this, I've had white sapotes that were in pots for a long time that struggled when planted in the ground because their roots were too cramped.  One tree actually had such a hard time it lost all its leaves.  So I just exposed the roots in the ground, chopped the outer roots, gave it some coffee grounds and a deep watering, and it sprung back to life.

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 03:16:21 AM »
I've done chip buds with White Sapote.  The challenge is getting the buds to push after the buds heal.  You have to do all the usual tricks, and I've had a hard time sometimes getting the buds to push because White Sapote is so vigorous that the rootstock will push growth on so many other buds, and even from suckers from the rootstock.

I usually slice off all the buds below the bud union of the seedling with a sharp knife and top the seedling just above the healed bud. This always worked for chip budding citrus.
Don't know how to solve the root sucker 'problem' in Casimiroa edulis!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »

I agree with Fang's advice, repot and wait for growth push ;)

Anto989

• View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
Thanks,  so.. I'll wait  :D

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
I never tried chip bud. I did T-budding before and it worked really well the first time so I thought that's a good way to go. Then I did that 2 more times and all buds failed. I think the first time success was because the buds were from my other tree and were very fresh. The failed ones were not that fresh and probably didn't have enough energy or water to survive. Maybe I should have put the cuttings in water for a good soaking before doing budding. I don't do that with regular grafting though.