Author Topic: I took down my Golden nugget Jak  (Read 1284 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
I took down my Golden nugget Jak
« on: December 11, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »
This year was a wonderful one for my GN, it produced hundreds of delicious fruits. But, despite my regular pruning it grew to ginormous proportions, over 25 ft tall (in ground since 2011) with huge roots over 10 inches across spreading under my walkway and towards my neighbor's house. It shaded my entire patio, south side of the house, and west side of my neighbor's house. The final straw was when one of the three largest limbs nearly 10 inches in diameter cracked and was about to fall on the neighbor's place.

Before I got it, I read... "  It forms a dense, spreading canopy, which is easily maintained at a height and spread of 2 to 2.5 m (6.5 to 8.1 ft)"

NOT SO!!! :-)

I miss the shade, and fruit, but not the risk of damage to rooftop and foundation.

Regards,

Gary

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: I took down my Golden nugget Jak
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 10:52:34 PM »
Hah.  I just planted one of these gold nuggets in my greenhouse and it has already tripled in size.  I figured “if it is maintainable at 8ft then it should be fine with around 13ft of vertical space”.  How long until you got fruit from it?

If I have to remove it because it is too big I still consider that a success, and an excuse to build an even bigger greenhouse

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:53:49 AM »
Actually, this year (2019) was the best crop, 2018 was OK maybe 20 fruits, so 7 years was about right. This past season the tree REALLY needed to be that big to hold all the fruit. I'll miss the fruit but not the spectre of damage that could happen if left alive :-)

Regards,

Gary

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »
7 years to first fruit for an grafted tree?  Thats a longer wait than I was expecting!

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
That’s sad to see that tree go Gary, it was an impressive tree. A wonderful specimen. I have some seedlings from it and gave some to friends so it’s dna will survive. When they have fruit you are welcome to them. I’ve been meaning to come get some of the Fairchild seedlings but it’s been so busy this season.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 02:59:30 PM »
Wow that sounds like a vigorous tree.
How far was it from the path and house?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »
All the gold series are large vigorous trees and they get way bigger than 25 feet.You can still keep most jacks to 10 ft in full sun by hard pruning when young and they eventually submit to your will. They will spread laterally a long way and still get thick however.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk