Author Topic: Greenhouse Cherimoya needs taming  (Read 830 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Greenhouse Cherimoya needs taming
« on: September 13, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »
This is one of the largest trees in the greenhouse and has certainly become a project.  Probably around 8 years old or more.  4 varieties grafted onto it...Pierce, Honey Hart, Mcpherson, Behl.  The tree is a poster child for fertilizing with too much nitrogen...crazy non-stop growth, very little fruiting, usually small fruit that drop early.  Was a real challenge getting to blooms in the upper canopy when I could find them in all of the foliage.  So I decided to knock it back to a more manageable height.  This will allow more sun to hit other plants as well.  I started off with close to 30 fruit developing and ended with a dismal 6...2 small ones have already dropped.  In my zeal to lop off branches, I unfortunately cut one that still had a big Honey Hart hanging on.  These last 4 have been the biggest fruit to date.  Still 3 on the tree.  Any further nitrogen given will be in ultra low amounts.  Hopefully will make a difference next year.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Greenhouse Cherimoya needs taming
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »
Prune it down to no taller than 5 feet if possible, then it will grow into summer to 8 to 9 feet, after fruits are set and golf ball size, give another haircut around Sep. Its normal for Cherimoya to grow this aggressive.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse Cherimoya needs taming
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
Jay don’t feed it just mulch....cut off all nitrogen if you want it to bloom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk