Author Topic: Cempedak cold tolerance  (Read 2268 times)

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Cempedak cold tolerance
« on: June 26, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
Hi all

Been reading for a few years but only just joined. Figured I would ask a question I have wondered about for some time. Does anybody know if you can grow cempedak in the subtropics? I am in Brisbane Australia and my property is frost free though does get down to 3-5 degrees Celsius during early mid winter mornings (rarely).

It's a tree I have always wanted to grow but wasn't sure if I could.

Thank you

Dan
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:15:37 PM by Ulfr »

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: Cempedak cold tolerance
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
Posting back in case someone searches the topic. So after speaking to someone who is very familiar with chemps it seems the lower limit is about 1 degree Celsius. The lowest here is about 3 (and not every year) so I'm hopeful and I'm going to give it a go. I was also told that it does vary between varieties so if I can will try a few. I'll post back with my experiences.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:06:25 AM »
Posting back in case someone searches the topic. So after speaking to someone who is very familiar with chemps it seems the lower limit is about 1 degree Celsius. The lowest here is about 3 (and not every year) so I'm hopeful and I'm going to give it a go. I was also told that it does vary between varieties so if I can will try a few. I'll post back with my experiences.

Thanks for the feedback Ulfr!!
Do you know if that is for young trees? Could a large thick trunked tree maybe manage a degree or two colder?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 02:39:04 AM »
About 0c for bigger trees and 1 to 2c for younger trees and small seedlings are more sensitive again. Brisbane in Australia is about the southern limit here.It is a bit more complicated that straight numbers however with length of time at low temps and wind to be considered. I understand that different varieties have different tolerances as well.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:53:24 AM »
Thank for the extra info Mike. Mike was the person who had helped me out but wasn't going to dob him in unless he posted here :)

Dan

naikii

• Australia, Canberra, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Live Love Canberra
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 10:01:00 PM »

How did the Chempedak go in Brissy?

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 02:56:58 AM »
It could depend on specific areas and microclimates and site aspect, possibly on the coast it is milder than in the hills.
They may even go ok a bit south in subtropical NSW.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 05:21:01 AM »
I will add that chempedak seedlings also can just randomly die. I had one the growing well from months and then just died. Sounds like that is reasonably common, can't imagine cold weather would help either. I wonder whether chempedak grafted onto jackfruit would improve cold tolerance.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 09:42:11 AM »
I had a Cempedak seedling slowly die on me even though it made it through one winter. I have another Cempejack seedling that has made it 2 winters and even came through in better condition than my grafted jackfruit but it is a much slower grower and only wakes up once the night time temps are in the 70s and lots of rain. I would agree that the Cempedak has a much less vigorous root system and grafting into jackfruit would be the trick.