Author Topic: the craziest fruit things you have ever done  (Read 7234 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
the craziest fruit things you have ever done
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
many of us are unhealthily obsessed with growing and eating tropical fruit- thought it would be fun to read other's crazy fruit stories!

My top 3

1-        converting a garage into a greenhouse by installing window, gas-line/heater, insulating rafts with fiber glass, covering walls and rafts with mylar, installing several MH and LED lights.

2-    hand pollinating my lychee blooms with a micro tweezer, with said hand in cast up to mid arm due to fractured thumb.

3     waking up on many occasions in the middle of the night and watching fruit videos on you-tube (my wife does not know whether to be relieved or disturbed that im looking at fruit and not hot girls)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:28:53 PM by lycheeluva »

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: the craziest fruit things you have ever done
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
I converted a spare bathroom into a germinating greenhouse.  I received some abiu seeds during the Winter time.  I got 2 crockpots and filled them with water side by side.  Then, I put a cooking  metal sheet as a tray and placed a bunch of one gallon pots on top of the tray.  I cooked those pots 24/7 and all seeds germinated.  On the other hand, the entire bathroom had mold all over the walls.  It was a fun experiment, ask my wife about it?   hahahahahahahahahahah  She got so mad!   Those abius are now over 6 feet tall and will flower anytime soon, I hope!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »
x
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:17:54 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28:54 AM »
I went fruit exploring in PR with a bunch of men I met on the internet...

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:26 AM »
That's a great story Adam (ASaffron) on foreclosers and such, I would have done the same.
They say "you can't take it with you"... You proved them wrong  8) 8)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:12:23 AM »
HYSTERICAL SO FAR. keep em coming

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
During seed collecting trips i would save the last day or two for eating/washing/cleaning all the seeds i wanted to take home. Often also had plants to bare root of soil. As you might imagine doing this in a hotel room or guest house can leave quite a mess for the maid. So i would leave a few bills next to the terrible mess i created.
Once in Thailand i almost got thrown out of a hotel for bringing a chempadek into my room. Gave the whole hotel a nice fruity aroma! My excuse was that the sign at the hotel said "No Durians", but nothing about chempadkes (which can also be quite smelly). I saved myself by going to the pool side with the fruit and consuming the whole thing right there for dinner. A hard feat with a 20 or so pound fruit!
Oscar
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
Nice Sheehan, nice. 

Funny Oscar!  Their sign now probably includes any large, ungainly fruit!  Yeah...cleaning seeds all night suck.  The hotel we stayed at in PR was very helpful when it came time to cleaning and preparing our plants for shipment.  They actually got quite a charge out of all of us scrambling around covered in water and mud.  Their only concern was to make sure we mentioned the hotel when any of us wrote about the trip!  Boy did we create a mess too!

North_Tree_Man

• Downingtown, PA - 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
I have converted half of the kitchen, and part of the living room into jungle with trees ranging in size from 4' to 8'. I also have uncovered light bulbs shining in strategic locations. Good thing it's only half of the year.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
HAHAHAHAH

Jeff  :-)

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
My favorite story is travelling with Jay and his family in Thailand.  Highlights included eating friend insects ('you go first') and rat-on-a-stick (we both took a pass).  The best part however was eating all the durian.  Everywhere we went Ma and Pa would stop at roadside vendors and select the choicest of durians for us (okay, mainly me, but Jay held his own and made in-roads into becoming a convert). I was in heaven!  Even though we almost always ate the durians before getting back into the van, would couldn't help but notice that the smell was so pungent that it never seemed to leave.  Turns out that the reason was because one of the two of us (and it wasn't Jay! ;D ) left a bag with a few pieces under the seat.  Ooops!  Long live the King of Fruits!

@Murahilin - I would more accurately describe your PR trip as with "a bunch of much older men that I met on the internet....".    ;):-X

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »
Me too!

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »
During seed collecting trips i would save the last day or two for eating/washing/cleaning all the seeds i w

I thought you were going to say you swallowed the seeds whole, and then, ummm, recovered them when you were back in the states.  :o

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
During seed collecting trips i would save the last day or two for eating/washing/cleaning all the seeds i w

I thought you were going to say you swallowed the seeds whole, and then, ummm, recovered them when you were back in the states.  :o

Yes me to! LOL :P ::) ;D

The dreaded, "Maria Full of Grace, seed collector trip" :'( ;D ;D ;D ;D

One of my catch phrases...

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »

While I haven't done that yet, some of my friends have-- a true measure of dedication to the hobby!

I spent a year building a semi-permanent room taking up half my basement, complete with a sloping floor for water drainage:

http://photobucket.com/cprc

Kevin

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »
I wouldn't even know where to begin my list!  While I might describe them as crazy...most of my family and friends would describe with much colorful phrases.  But to name a few...
1.  Trying to grow this stuff in Ohio.
2.  Built a greenhouse to grow this stuff in Ohio.
3.  Built the damn thing myself.
4.  Only take vacations to places which grow rare fruit and only during the peak season.
That's some of the ones I call crazy.  There's not enough space or time to list the dumb things.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
CoPlantNut- u took my garage conversion and doubled it and then some-incredible dedication.
jay- please i desparately want to hear the dumb stuff!!!
warren- nice story and great quip!
adam- sorry bout the foreclosure- i really feel your pain but your stories r damn funny!
I should add that im typing this with a fractured thumb and my hand in a cast (only a fruit nut!)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »

Why would i need to do that when i have all the necessary permits? BTW, you ever tried swallowing a whole chempadek seed--never mind over 100 chempadek seeds? Also don't think they would survive digestive tract, not hard shelled.
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk