Author Topic: Fruit and Spice Park, Homestead  (Read 4370 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Fruit and Spice Park, Homestead
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I guess it's been about 20 years since I visited the Fruit and Spice Park in the Redland, Homestead, FL.  I think I may have been there once after Hurricane Andrew devastated it.  How is it now?  Is it a MUST-SEE attraction for the tropical fruit enthusiast?  Are all the cultivars properly labeled?  Are the trees well cared for?  You're allowed to sample whatever has fallen from the trees, correct?  But you can't bring anything home? 
John

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Re: Fruit and Spice Park, Homestead
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
Chris Rollins and his people have done a great job of bringing it back to life! Was there for the rare fruit conference this past summer and had a great time.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
I hope to go visit this April when i get back to the states. I was  there once, long long ago after hurricane Andrew also.

I think it will be great to take pictures of the trees with all the mangoes on them in the spring.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

jlondon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
If you like unusual wine and you are in that area, I would also recommend stopping into Schnebly Redland's Winery. I believe they use the unwanted fruit from their neighbors and make the wine out of that--pretty cool.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
If you like unusual wine and you are in that area, I would also recommend stopping into Schnebly Redland's Winery. I believe they use the unwanted fruit from their neighbors and make the wine out of that--pretty cool.

Schnebly's is a nice place. They now have a brewery too and make fruit beer. They said they have plans on adding a distillery too. Avocado vodka maybe?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »
I guess it's been about 20 years since I visited the Fruit and Spice Park in the Redland, Homestead, FL.  I think I may have been there once after Hurricane Andrew devastated it.  How is it now?  Is it a MUST-SEE attraction for the tropical fruit enthusiast?  Are all the cultivars properly labeled?  Are the trees well cared for?  You're allowed to sample whatever has fallen from the trees, correct?  But you can't bring anything home?

If you like mangoes, and can bear the heat, go during peak mango season (this year late-June/July would probably be ideal due to the later flowering) on a weekday if possible (less people in the park sampling fruit). Its worth going any time of the year though. Also, while you are only supposed to eat fruit that falls to the ground, they will often let people sample fruit off the trees if you take one of the guided tours. They also have fruit available to sample at the entrance/gift-shop. A couple years ago I think they were even selling mangoes in bags but I'm not sure if they still do that or not.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »
And do all the trees have signs with their variety names?
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
And do all the trees have signs with their variety names?

As I recall most do but there are a few that don't. Almost all the mangoes are labelled but I recall there being some with tags that had disappeared. If Chris or one of the workers is around they might be able to tell you where something is if you are looking for a specific cultivar of something and can't find it. They have most of the species grouped together (mangoes with mangoes, avocados with avocados, jakfruit with jakfruit, etc) though there are some limited sporadic plantings of things. (e.g., the Zill and Kent mango trees are far away from the rest of the mangoes).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk