Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620686 times)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1000 on: July 15, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »
name is georges (french spelling). i live in west central florida and i'm zone pushing a number of tropicals including mangoes, soursop and bananas. i only have a couple mango varieties atm, but ordered up some bud wood so hopefully i can expand here before fall. i just put a nam doc mai and pickering in the ground.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 17, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
Welcome georges to the forum.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 03, 2014, 06:18:05 AM »
Hi all, my name is Don from Brisbane and have caught the tropical fruit bug like the rest of you. Haha! Started of gathering a few different species including
brazil guava
jaboticaba( standard one available in australia) not sure of type
brown turkey fig
birds eye sandpaper fig
strawberry guava
Midyim berry
Bowen mango
imperial mandarin
then got myself some grumichama black and yellow and fell in love with the eugenia species of which I have a couple of species now including
pitomba
cherry of rio grand
dwarf grumichama
forrest plum and a myrcyanthes. Always on the lookout for different eugenia species especially any red fruited types like cereja calycina and mattosi.
Enjoy being part of such a worldwide group gardening enthusiasts.
Regards Don

ANGELO

• Milano _ Italy
    • View Profile
    • http://picasaweb.google.it/AANGELO.MILAN
Ciao Hola Hi
« Reply #1003 on: August 03, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
Hello guy !!
I'm Angelo from Milano, north Italy
I am a lover of flowers and plants, especially tropical and hibiscus
Exchange seeds, hybrid plants, and participated in numerous international forums
Write me in English, Italian or Spanish

take a look !
http://picasaweb.google.it/AANGELO.MILAN

Angelo

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 03, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Howdy Angelo,Don,merce3,Leviathon and the Moringa Maid.It is good to have you all on board and you will find  the warm glow of a cheery bunch of froot loops here. The extra horticultural muscle that new folk bring means this place just keeps getting better.

Don you are not the first Daleys refugee to be cast up on these friendly international shores.You can find all that and so much more here.

There is a search box above to the right to look for past threads on your topics of interest and a PM facility that allows you to reach out to others and leave a message.

Cheers
Mike T

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: August 04, 2014, 03:16:37 PM »
Yes mike, thought it might be you! Definately an ey opener compared to the daleys forum that is for sure. Have my first batch of seeds on their way so eagerly awaiting their arrival. Never knew there were so many types of tropical fruits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 04, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
You're up early Don.Check icon for permitted species and packing material and ladel accordingly.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 05, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »
Yeah truck drivers hours mike, work at the port of brisbane so early starts every morning. What do you mean by check icon?Pardon my ignorance! Wherein cairns are you, I lived at edgehill for a half year. Gods country up there. Miss my mangrove jack fishing.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 05, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »
Don google aquis icon query and insert genus to find out what species can be imported.C7100 is a good import code.I am at Bayview which is much like Edge Hill.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 05, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »
Just did that Mike, I sent you a pm.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 24, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »
Hi all.  I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while picking up great information.  I have a lots of producing longan trees and am in the process of adding about 25-30 mango cultivars.  I have 7 in the ground and another 17 in 3 gallon pots and a few more on my wish list I'll probably buy this week.  It's nice to be a close neighbor of Pine Island Nursery.  I also have some carambola, avocado, lychee and monstera deliciosa.

TheGoldFirm

• Koro Island, Fiji
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 30, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »
Hello,
We have a small orchard in San Diego, Ca, and are planning to plant and grow fruit trees on Koro Island, Fiji. Any assistance re where to purchase, what to be careful of, issues with transporting via ferry from Natovi (outside Suva) to Koro, pests to be aware of & BMPs to maximize yield (for personal use & donating to locals) would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Steven & Michelle

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 31, 2014, 05:29:31 AM »
Hello everyone, I dont no exactly how to post here, so i try this way.
My name is Maickel, i am dutch but live in Spain for many years.
I am interested in mango trees, and i have already a lot.
Also i have other trees like:

lychee 2 var
chirimoya. fino de jete
oranges
lemmons
mandarines
mangos
avocado
pear
lonquat( nispero) 1 with white fruit inside
granada
prume 3 var
kiwino
pasiflora 2 var
nashipear
kaki sharon
figs
almond
olive
grapefruit
grapes
sapote white
I like to have the new varieties o mango, like lemon zest ,sweet tart, pina colada,lemmon merenque, coco cream ectr.also i like the ndm and m c.
So if theres anyone who want to exchange scions/budwood with me,or sell them, recieve seeds, send me a mail or write here.
I have scions available now from sensation, ataulfo, osteen, maya, extrema mango and some more.
Also i like to put 2 fotos from 2 mangos(the fruit) i grafted past year, but nobody knows what varietie it is.
Where can i send the fotos to?
I have read a lot of treads here about mangos and its very interesting how you grow mangos there.
thanks
Mike

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #1013 on: August 31, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »
Welcome to all of our new members.  Looking forward to sharing lots of information about the fruity world we all have interest in. 

Also i like to put 2 fotos from 2 mangos(the fruit) i grafted past year, but nobody knows what varietie it is.
Where can i send the fotos to?
Mike

As to trying to ID a mango tree or fruit.....you might post pictures and description here:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1002.0;topicseen
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 31, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Hello everyone, I dont no exactly how to post here, so i try this way.
My name is Maickel, i am dutch but live in Spain for many years.

Bienvenido Maickel! Where in Spain are you located?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 31, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »
Hoi Maickel, i 'm dutch as well.

If you click on "add image to post" then you can select the pic on your harddisk and post it.

I have 2 ndm tree's and many variety's grafted on them. In 3 weeks time i fly back to holland for a while.

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 31, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
Hello,Thank you for your welcome.
Hola,I am located in Malaga province ,Axarquia region were there are a a lot of osteen mangos
Hallo Bangkok, leuk een Nederlander hier te ontmoeten,(nice too see a dutchman here).I like to have thai mangos.
Well i shall try to put the pictures on the forum right now.on the link Harry gave me.
Thanks
Mike

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 31, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »
Yes, Osteen is the main cultivar in the spanish peninsula.
I suggest you get in touch with the owner of this nursery: http://frutalestropicales.com/index.php He is a great tropical fruit enthusiast ;)

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 31, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »
Thanks Felipe, i know him.
Mike

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 31, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
Yes, Osteen is the main cultivar in the spanish peninsula.
I suggest you get in touch with the owner of this nursery: http://frutalestropicales.com/index.php He is a great tropical fruit enthusiast ;)

This nursery even has Isis mango  ???

Maickel i sent you a private mail but i think you don't know yet where the mailbox is. Look at "my messages"

Peasley

• Vermont/USA
    • View Profile
Hello All
« Reply #1020 on: September 01, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »
My name is Brandon, and I am taking up the challenge of collecting exotic fruit in the state of Vermont, US. Do to the excruciating winter months that come our way, I am limited to species that may only be container grown, so they may be transported indoors during windy or cold days. We were blessed with a very good summer, and my dwarf Hart Carambola has been doing great this season. I very much look forward to adding and building my collection of whatever I can, and plan to do some research and talk amongst other forum members to see what I can find to expand my collection.

A little about myself: I am a class A driver for Hood. Very early hours but a rewarding career nonetheless. I enjoy poetry, but have no other hobbies aside from the newfound fruit collecting adventure. I have been a starfruit nut since I have had my first taste years ago. They are very hard to come by in New England, and the fruits we find here can be hit or miss on quality. Quite possibly my favorite fruit as of right now, but I look forward to the days when my palette has been broadened. I am interested in anything and everything exotic fruit, and with this curiosity comes the intelligence of other cultures. It has been a great learning curve so far, and I hope to learn more for years to come. Nice to meet you all!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1021 on: September 01, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
My name is Brandon, and I am taking up the challenge of collecting exotic fruit in the state of Vermont, US. Do to the excruciating winter months that come our way, I am limited to species that may only be container grown, so they may be transported indoors during windy or cold days. We were blessed with a very good summer, and my dwarf Hart Carambola has been doing great this season. I very much look forward to adding and building my collection of whatever I can, and plan to do some research and talk amongst other forum members to see what I can find to expand my collection.

A little about myself: I am a class A driver for Hood. Very early hours but a rewarding career nonetheless. I enjoy poetry, but have no other hobbies aside from the newfound fruit collecting adventure. I have been a starfruit nut since I have had my first taste years ago. They are very hard to come by in New England, and the fruits we find here can be hit or miss on quality. Quite possibly my favorite fruit as of right now, but I look forward to the days when my palette has been broadened. I am interested in anything and everything exotic fruit, and with this curiosity comes the intelligence of other cultures. It has been a great learning curve so far, and I hope to learn more for years to come. Nice to meet you all!

Welcome! That's quite a zone-pushing challenge you've got on your hands!  ;D

What kind of winter home do/will the plants have? Always curious how folks are doing it.

And...I will give you a pass on the fact that Carambola is your favorite fruit LOL.....you have a lot to learn!

Peasley

• Vermont/USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1022 on: September 01, 2014, 10:17:20 AM »

Welcome! That's quite a zone-pushing challenge you've got on your hands!  ;D

What kind of winter home do/will the plants have? Always curious how folks are doing it.

And...I will give you a pass on the fact that Carambola is your favorite fruit LOL.....you have a lot to learn!

Holy COW you aren't kidding!! The zone challenge is verging right on the thin line of impossibility. I have experience with delicate Nepenthes and other fragile plants, but nothing of the tree or exotic fruit sort. I have T-5 light systems and indoor greenhouse setups for the young plants. I get those giant plastic boot mat tray with the lip on the edge to put the potted plants in to catch the water. My current living situation is a little on the limited space so everything is pretty much engineered and modified to suit my needs for now. My ceilings are about 12' tall so it works well being able to winter the taller trees. It is SO hard to find fruits around here, we have the typical Mango and papaya offered. It is a rare event that anybody has Starfruit. They are expensive, anywhere from $2.50 a fruit, or on rare occasion 2 for 3 bucks. Sometimes I'll find Pepino melons or pomegranates, but not often. This is what led me to try collecting my own. I am in the process of designing an outdoor heated greenhouse for the winter months. Within the next year or so, I will have access to over 100 acres of land (my parent's), and have had some help designing large greenhouses to suit my collection needs. The winter is definitely a killer, having to mimic natural environments is difficult, but I guess passion exceeds the impossible.

Tim K

• UK, North East, 8?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 03, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
Hi, my name is Tim. I am from the UK, living in the North East, a few miles from Newcastle Upon Tyne. I work as a plastics engineer for a parts supplier to Nissan.

Over the last year I have caught the gardening bug, and have apache chilli and alpine strawberry plants grown from seed, and now I want to try the experience of growing something unusual (well for this part of the world anyway), and with striking looks, with the hope that one day I will get some delicious fruit to enjoy - I realise this may be a dream.

I have set my sights on growing a mango tree, and after scouring the internet for many hours to try to decide whether it was worth a shot, I am doing it, and realised this site had many experts in mango growing, so I am hoping I might be able to get some advice and share my experience with the mango on here. It is wonderful to see the magnificent trees and varieties that people have  in the warmer parts of the world.

The size of my mango growing attempts won't be anywhere near as grand as some of the collection on here, I realise, and if my seedings grow well and I get a 'keeper', the tree will be kept warm indoors for most of the year, in a large pot.

Tim

Nick

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 06, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »
Hello Everyone.  I moved to Homestead, South Florida, about 10 years ago.  I had recently lost my job as an engineer and was driving around when I noticed this interesting park near my home called the Fruit & Spice Park.  They were looking for volunteers so I joined and within a short time I became an employee.  I gave tours of their 40-acre tropical paradise for a number of years.  I enjoyed learning about the immense variety of tropical produce and sharing my experience with visitors. 

Biggest mistake:  Planting something before making sure I like it...and then having to dig it out.

Plants I have tried and removed or ones that died....
White Sapote (had a resinous chemical-like flavor)
Sapodilla (tree produced virtually nothing.  must have been a seedling)
Custard Apple (flavor was poor...not like delicious one in Park)
Pigeon Pea, a vegetable plant (takes time to shuck all those peas...nobody wanted to do it)
Yucca, aka Cassava (may do again.  roots take lots of room to grow and my soil is only 1 inch deep over rock)
Tommy Atkins Mango (it was an accident, but who cares...it's a tommy)
Guanabana (poor producer...ants kept attacking trunk)
Blackberry  (tried 7 varieties...either grew poorly or fruit not sweet)
Coconut (lightning killed it)
Passion Fruit (Vine only last a few years.  Need to plant again)
Jamaica Cherry aka Strawberry Tree in Florida (wasn't worth space it took up)
Malabar Spinach vine (taste bad and slimy texture)
Guava (regret removing, but on fence line and neighbor complained of falling worm-filled fruits.  I should have bagged them)
Macadamia Nut (produced little and shells very hard)
Chayote squash (it just died.  probably planted wrong time of year)
Cucuzza squash - annual I believe.  google it.
Pandan (grew for my sticky rice recipe, but had to remove from front of house...smelled like sex...very earthy, musky)

Plants I currently have....
Muscadine Grapes (have 3 varieties but they are growing poorly)
Surinam Cherry (grown as hedge in front of house.)
Monstera Deliciosa (be careful...it will take over your yard)
Keitt Mango (very late season mango)
Haden Mango (who doesn't have one)
Mamey Sapote
Canistel aka Egg Fruit
Mulberry
Callaloo aka amaranth
Purslane (slimy and lemony like Malabar Spinach, but it's a weed so it takes care of itself)
Spearmint, Chives, Rosemary - perennials
Papaya
Avocado
Various lemons
Tangelo
Tangerine
Mysore Raspberry
Sugar Apple
Everglades Tomatos (they pop up every year like a weed)
Pineapple

Sorry if some of these are not tropical.  By the way, chickens and low-lying fruit don't mix.