Author Topic: Weird lychee flowering -- Emperor kills it and the others are lackluster/zero  (Read 1288 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
I have a sweetheart, a Mauritius, a Hak Ip, a Brewster and an Emperor.  From what people tell me, my Emperor should be the hardest to get to flower and fruit. For whatever reason here in Orlando, it's my most reliable producer by far. The darn thing blooms and fruits every year. I've got a ton of flowers so far this year.  For the other varieties, nada. What am I doing wrong?  Isn't the Brewster supposed to be one of the most reliable producers?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Thank your stars, I have some of the same trees you have.  I would trade Brewster blooms for Emperor any day.
Are you doing anything special for the Emperor?

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
I'm in a similar sitch. My emperor is not only the best grower, but the best to grow, period. It's very active while all my others are snoozing, consistently. I see tons of new stuff happening right now but can't quite make out if its going to be flowers or new growth. Good luck everyone.
-Chris

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
The only thing I'm doing is neglecting the Emperor. Once in a long while, I'll put Osmocote on it. Nothing else. Wish I could get the other trees to be as good. It might be the climate here in Orlando perhaps?  The Hak Ip just started showing some blooms last week.  For the Mauritius and Brewster, still nada again this year. :(

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Blooming already? I walked past mine Sunday and I didn't see anything on any of my 4 except a little vegetative growth on my year old Emperor. My big 12 foot tall and wide tree has zero activity.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
We have Brewster, Hak Ip, Sweet Song, Mauritius and Kwai Mai Pink flowering at my work here in Sarasota. I think the Sweetheart, Emperor and Kwai Mai Yellow Red were flowering at Palma Sola where I also work. Most of them I pruned in June/July to try to time the new growth with colder weather. I think the extended cold fronts help set them off but Palma Sola is quite the microclimate.
-Josh

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
I went and looked again, yeah my tiny emperor appears to have blooms. My others which are sweethearts have none, not even vegetative right now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk