Author Topic: Rambutan disease?  (Read 1059 times)

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
Rambutan disease?
« on: November 04, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »
Hello - I am having a problem with my yellow rambutan - the leaves are turning a grayish tan and I’m worried that I will lose the tree. I suspect some sort of soil disease but am looking for inpyt. The mangosteen to the right also recently lost a leaf, but I think the browning on its leaves is from earlier sunburn.  Any ideas? Can my rambutan be saved with a fungicide or something else?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Rambutan disease?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 06:20:04 PM »
Looks like a nutrient problem. Rambutans are very sensitive to chemical fertilizers, especially when small plants. Is that osmocote granules? Suggest switching to organic ferts. Flush out with water to remove excess salts and nutrients.
Oscar

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
Re: Rambutan disease?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:26:55 PM »
Looks like a nutrient problem. Rambutans are very sensitive to chemical fertilizers, especially when small plants. Is that osmocote granules? Suggest switching to organic ferts. Flush out with water to remove excess salts and nutrients.

Yes, it IS osmocote!  Thank you for your suggestion, Oscar!  I have been a little heavy handed with the fertilizer recently, so will give it a flush and try the organic.  And my other rambutan seedlings as well. :-)  Mahalo