Author Topic: New cultivar recommendation  (Read 1441 times)

Easy

• Plantation, Fl
    • View Profile
New cultivar recommendation
« on: June 30, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
Hello friends.  I'm looking to replace a poor-producing seed grown mango in my back yard with one of the new premium cultivars which, according to my bro, blow most of the old out of the water.  I'd like a medium sized tree that produces top-notch fruit.  I've already got a Keitt for my late-season, a NDM for mid-season, a Lemon-Zest, and a Rosigold, and I'd like to add to my collection with something that really impresses the friends, family, and neighbors.  High yield is definitely preferred, as we tend to make use of every last mango.  Suggestions?
Thanks,
Easy

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Re: New cultivar recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Sweet Tart immediately comes to mind.. (I’m not very familiar with productivity of other cultivars)
Sergio

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
this is a good place to start with recommendations http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=30789.0

Easy

• Plantation, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »
There are plenty of generic recommendations, but I was hoping someone might chime in with recommendations for a medium sized tree.  Thanks all,
Easy

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
Easy, send Alex (SQUAM) and Cookie Monster a pm on the question you have. They are 2 good resources. As far as the new varieties are concerned they are so new that some of the trees that have been growing has not reached full maturity as yet....so hard to tell size wise. I'm sure those 2 may have some idea about a few other varieties that have been out longer such as Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest.
Mike

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »
There are plenty of generic recommendations, but I was hoping someone might chime in with recommendations for a medium sized tree.  Thanks all,
Easy

I know what you mean by a medium-size tree but I do have to state that most mango trees will eventually become huge if you don't trim it regularly.

I'd look for a normal-Low vigor variety in your case.
Varieties that come to mind are:
Fruit Punch
Pineapple Pleasure
E-4 (seems low)
Phoenix (seems low)
Sweet Tart is on the higher vigor side but not that bad
Coconut Cream
Guava

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
Guava and coconut cream are vigorous if I correctly recall what Alex told me. E4 is pretty vigorous for me so far.

2 smaller trees:

Pickering

Glenn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk