Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 947218 times)

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #3100 on: August 14, 2020, 11:05:41 PM »
Trees and fruits look great.

nosoup4u

• Redwood City, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: August 15, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »

how was the Ax?  I know it has pretty flowers but haven't seen much about the taste other than a couple people saying it's vaguely like watermelon.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: August 15, 2020, 09:19:17 PM »
How large do these need to be to flower?  Here's the larger one I have (the pink-outside/white-inside grocery store kind).  It's almost 6ft tall now.  I know it needs a better support structure, I am gonna build one of those reinforced tomato cages that somebody posted here.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: August 15, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »

how was the Ax?  I know it has pretty flowers but haven't seen much about the taste other than a couple people saying it's vaguely like watermelon.

I have had several people say it tastes great etc etc but for me it was  :-\

I think it must be a joke gray martin is playing on us releasing this one. 

I need to try more, we sampled a few of them and I think a more appropriate name is AZZ not AX. 

But as always your mileage may vary...
Brad Spaugh

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: August 18, 2020, 03:16:25 PM »
How large do these need to be to flower?  Here's the larger one I have (the pink-outside/white-inside grocery store kind).  It's almost 6ft tall now.  I know it needs a better support structure, I am gonna build one of those reinforced tomato cages that somebody posted here.

That plant looks pretty mature so you should start seeing fruit soon. Get that support built as soon as you are able though, because branches that are hanging down tend to have more flowering than those growing up. You want the plant to have a defined height, then either 'top off' the climbing stems to force side branching, or (carefully) set up your support so that the long branches can start drooping back towards earth. Im not positive, but I think it has something to do with gravity and heavy chemical buildup of hormones/nutrients in the branches that start to convert the growth process over to the reproduction process. In most species, they flower from the branch tips back upwards towards the center.
Also, once you have some downward growth, you can start shifting your fertilizer routine to a more 'bloom' inspired mix. But for now, you should focus on bulking up the size of your plant before you try and force it to flower. You basically have what could be described as a teenager in maturity of that plant. Its well on its way to maturity, but for now, its time to focus on what its going to be when its an adult. 

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: August 19, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »
So, just read 125 pages, omg.  Getting ready for planting a DF garden and looking for a source of some good S8 cuttings.  I recently ordered a bunch of stuff from Cal Poly Pomona and it’s frigging tiny (3”), so I got some time.  I’m going to take everyone’s advice and get a good pollinator going.  So if anyone has a good lead on xxl cuttings of S8 I’d be super interested.  Thanks for all the knowledge so far.  I looked at spicy exotics and they are out of almost everything.  I have no problems paying a member for some nice thick starter pieces.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:01:01 AM by MorroBay »

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: August 19, 2020, 02:57:21 AM »
So I got multiple varieties from Cal Poly and one other source but I find their info slightly controversial or possibly incorrect.

I got:
American Beauty
Delight
Dark star
Edgar’s Baby
Physical Graffiti 
Purple Haze
Shayna

How would you guys classify these as self pollination, sterile, etc?
I got very limited space and want to know what I’m trying to grow 3 years ahead of time.   I will probably be only planting a few of the higher recommendations.  I don’t mind giving away a few to friends that don’t make the cut.  I’m already reconsidering Edgar’s Baby as it’s so thorny.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:02:03 AM by MorroBay »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: August 19, 2020, 03:23:35 AM »
So I got multiple varieties from Cal Poly and one other source but I find their info slightly controversial or possibly incorrect.

I got:
American Beauty
Delight
Dark star
Edgar’s Baby
Physical Graffiti 
Purple Haze
Shayna

How would you guys classify these as self pollination, sterile, etc?
I got very limited space and want to know what I’m trying to grow 3 years ahead of time.   I will probably be only planting a few of the higher recommendations.  I don’t mind giving away a few to friends that don’t make the cut.  I’m already reconsidering Edgar’s Baby as it’s so thorny.
None of those varieties are self pollinating for me in Australia.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: August 19, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »

That plant looks pretty mature so you should start seeing fruit soon. Get that support built as soon as you are able though, because branches that are hanging down tend to have more flowering than those growing up. You want the plant to have a defined height, then either 'top off' the climbing stems to force side branching, or (carefully) set up your support so that the long branches can start drooping back towards earth. Im not positive, but I think it has something to do with gravity and heavy chemical buildup of hormones/nutrients in the branches that start to convert the growth process over to the reproduction process. In most species, they flower from the branch tips back upwards towards the center.
Also, once you have some downward growth, you can start shifting your fertilizer routine to a more 'bloom' inspired mix. But for now, you should focus on bulking up the size of your plant before you try and force it to flower. You basically have what could be described as a teenager in maturity of that plant. Its well on its way to maturity, but for now, its time to focus on what its going to be when its an adult.

Thanks RobPatterson.  I made a reinforced tomcat cage but it feels like it needs to be another "tier" tall.  Including the container the top is only 4ft off the ground.  Doesn't seem tall enough to me.   I might go look for a 4-tier cage or custom build something instead.  I intend to keep this in a container for a while, possibly forever.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: August 19, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »

Thanks RobPatterson.  I made a reinforced tomcat cage but it feels like it needs to be another "tier" tall.  Including the container the top is only 4ft off the ground.  Doesn't seem tall enough to me.   I might go look for a 4-tier cage or custom build something instead.  I intend to keep this in a container for a while, possibly forever.

[/quote]
Keeping them in containers is good, possibly ideal depending on the conditions where you are. Just make sure the container is large enough. 15 gallon seems to be the sweet spot for most plants, large enough so they dont get rootbound quickly. Just keep in mind, unless you make some sort of cart or carriage top wheel them around on, these plants will get big enough that you wont be moving them around at some point. If you know where they are going to grow full time, go ahead and think about setting some sort of post or permanent support at that location. These plants can get REALLY heavy if they are properly maintained, and I have some the size of fruit trees, and without solid support they wouldnt last a windy summer out here where i live. Make your plan now so you can get your plant(s) to work with your ideas, and not the other way around.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: August 19, 2020, 11:31:40 PM »
I have a couple container trees that are probably around 100lbs with wet dirt.  It isn’t pleasant but I can haul them.  I’m only in my 30s so I can keep it up a while

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: August 21, 2020, 03:25:19 PM »
Heres some giant yellow megalanthus seedlings that are flowering for the first time.  They are from ecuador and peruvian fruit. Simon collected the seeds and germinated them and we grew them out here. 

Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: August 21, 2020, 03:32:01 PM »
Lookin good Brad. I like the picking basket.

Here are some of my flowers from last night on a Guatemala purple.

I count about 15 other flowers from all the heat so this year is going nicely.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: August 21, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »
It seems dragon fruit growers go through phases over a number of years just as a few friends and I have done. First you grow a bland red or white and think I can do this. Then you research and think wow I will get condor, american beauty, delight, physical graffiti etc and you do it. Maybe a few fancy new hybrids, a yellow and a desert king and wait. You dabble in say a Vietnamese giant white and get an occamponis. You realise the ones that aren't self fertile but are glamorous don't taste that much better if at all and realise the bland whites aren't worth it. You slash and burn and get a big Ecuadorian yellow, replace low productivity with high like a Colombian red, or sweet self fertile white selections and a few crosses a friend did that are self fertile and sweet. Then you wait again and think about the time you wasted.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: August 21, 2020, 07:33:57 PM »
It seems dragon fruit growers go through phases over a number of years just as a few friends and I have done. First you grow a bland red or white and think I can do this. Then you research and think wow I will get condor, american beauty, delight, physical graffiti etc and you do it. Maybe a few fancy new hybrids, a yellow and a desert king and wait. You dabble in say a Vietnamese giant white and get an occamponis. You realise the ones that aren't self fertile but are glamorous don't taste that much better if at all and realise the bland whites aren't worth it. You slash and burn and get a big Ecuadorian yellow, replace low productivity with high like a Colombian red, or sweet self fertile white selections and a few crosses a friend did that are self fertile and sweet. Then you wait again and think about the time you wasted.

REPORTED:

Reason 1 - I am in this content, and I do not like it.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: August 22, 2020, 08:01:20 PM »
Mike it's true, it's the same for most stuff.  People want all the latest hard to get stuff.  Half the time they aren't even good.  I think the S8 and any Guatemalan purple type is as good as anything out there.  And they grow easy and easy to find.  But we still grow a few others for kicks. 

I'm excited for these megalanthus blooms but the fruit will probably not ripen properly given summer is almost over.  Maybe next year it will bloom earlier.

Brad Spaugh

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: August 27, 2020, 01:37:17 AM »
Anyone know what variety Home Depot is selling currently?  It’s supposedly red fruit and self pollinating.  It’s tag says it’s by Sunburst oranges but when you go to the site it’s kinda vague.

DragonCrush

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: August 27, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »
Hi !

Just popping in to say that a little over 3 1/2 years ago I asked how long for my germinated seedling to bear fruit. Most people replied 4 - 7 years.

These babies are now all carrying fruit after only 3 1/2 years!

it's possible to grow seeds to fruit in under 4 years. Good luck to all others out there.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: August 27, 2020, 07:14:19 PM »
MorroBay, you mean this one at HD?

Anyone know what variety Home Depot is selling currently?  It’s supposedly red fruit and self pollinating.  It’s tag says it’s by Sunburst oranges but when you go to the site it’s kinda vague.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: August 27, 2020, 07:35:06 PM »
^Yep, that one.  Trying to figure out what it really is?  The variety they list isn’t self fertile but they claim it is.  Little confused.

mkurgun

• USA FL Palm City Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: August 27, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »
Heres some giant yellow megalanthus seedlings that are flowering for the first time.  They are from ecuador and peruvian fruit. Simon collected the seeds and germinated them and we grew them out here. 

Brad, is that the plant the cuttings you sent me came from?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: August 27, 2020, 11:35:41 PM »

Brad, is that the plant the cuttings you sent me came from?

Maybe Im not sure.  Lots of people got cuttings off the mother plants that these ones came from. 

The flowers are open now, I need to go out and pollinate them.  No other plants were flowering so hopefully they are self fertile. 

Brad Spaugh

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: August 31, 2020, 01:48:26 PM »
Hi guys. Do you think it is possible to graft several varieties on one dragonfruit? If this is possible, how many grafts can be done per plant?
❀ Sergey ❀

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: September 03, 2020, 01:29:49 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the eBay seller linthai75?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Condor-Variety-Bright-Purple-Flesh-Dragon-Fruit-2-new-Cuttings-8-12/124096250872?hash=item1ce4b683f8:g:TgYAAOSwU2BeVJXA

Wanted to make sure they are legit before I waste three years planting some Condor I got.  So far got some nice stuff from other forum members but wasn’t sure about the eBay stuff.  Thanks everybody!

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: September 10, 2020, 02:30:54 AM »
Hi guys. I redesigned the dragonfruit growers and it looks like this today. I used 1 inch plastic pipes, they are fixed to the pot with self-tapping screws. The ring on the top is made of half-inch plastic tubing and fits into the holes of the four posts. I used geotextiles for winding. The height of the structure is 5ft.

❀ Sergey ❀