Author Topic: Jackfruit for California  (Read 7133 times)

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Jackfruit for California
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
I'm trying to choose a jackfruit that will do well for me here in Rancho Cucamonga.  I have a couple of seedlings that I'm growing, but I'd like to get a grafted tree that is more mature and will hopefully be well enough established by summer's end to overwinter in the ground here, with minimal protection.  Not sure if this is realistic, though.  Here are my winter averages:

I'm choosing between Mai-1, Mai-1, Black Gold, NS1, Golden Pillow, and Gold Nugget.  I've heard Black Gold might be cold hardier than some varieties, but I've also read that it is considered a late-season jak.  Would a short-season variety like Gold Nugget be more suitable for my shorter growing season?  Any suggestions are appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:51:01 PM by emegar »
James

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit for California
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »
Gold Nugget fruits very well in Orange County. Cucamonga might be too cold.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:14 PM »
Your area seems to have many moths with the average lows in the 40s as well as only a handful of months in the mid 80s or better.  With taht being said, and since you want to grow it in the ground, your best bet is keeping it maintained at a smaller size, the Richard Campbell method (which is not a bad idea for anyone).  This would allow for you to keep it covered and protected during extended cool/cold periods.

Now, as to variety...if keeping it pruned and smaller, I would pick a tree based on taste.  Having a jackfruit tree just to say you do that produces average quality fruit at best is not worth it, ay least to me,  With that being said, I would go with Mai 1 or Mai 2 (Mai 2 should give you a "smaller"/more compact tree but also POSSIBLY not as precocious as the Mai 1.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:08:34 AM »
Gold Nugget fruits very well in Orange County. Cucamonga might be too cold.

I agree. Jackfruit doesn't like it when soil temperatures go below 50F. You might be able to pull it off if you use a heating soil cable from October thur April and protect the plant from any frost.
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »
Your area seems to have many moths with the average lows in the 40s as well as only a handful of months in the mid 80s or better.  With taht being said, and since you want to grow it in the ground, your best bet is keeping it maintained at a smaller size, the Richard Campbell method (which is not a bad idea for anyone).  This would allow for you to keep it covered and protected during extended cool/cold periods.

Now, as to variety...if keeping it pruned and smaller, I would pick a tree based on taste.  Having a jackfruit tree just to say you do that produces average quality fruit at best is not worth it, ay least to me,  With that being said, I would go with Mai 1 or Mai 2 (Mai 2 should give you a "smaller"/more compact tree but also POSSIBLY not as precocious as the Mai 1.

Rob

Cucamanga has many nights below 40F during the winter months.I don't think the tree will ever fruit let alone make it. I had major problems with Harry's Tabouey J30 it completely defoliated. It's making a nice comeback but if the J30 doesn't make it next year I will get a golden nugget those seem to be hardy for our climate and they fruit well.