Author Topic: Black/purple Guava  (Read 4355 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Black/purple Guava
« on: August 04, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »
I finally found Black Guava in here  :D and I bought two grafted plants for $6 each.

Anyway, I was wondering how good are these Black/Purple Guava compared to the normal white Guava ?.

Mine looks exactly like this...very beautiful foliage   :-*

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:11:51 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Black/purple Guava
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
Congrats. It's pretty good guava and beautiful tree. Produses fruits better than the other ones in my collection. I do like the flavor of this guava. The tree is holding fruits right now. Will have the first ripe one in a day or two.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »
I just got this tree too.
Mine was called "Malaysian purple". It come with some wilted flowers in the box. Does it flower more than one time like strawberry guava or I need to wait next year?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
Your tree and the tag looks like a la vern malaysian red tree.  Does it say what nursery it was from on that tag?
Brad Spaugh

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:40:10 AM »
Yeah, my Red Malaysian Guava looks exactly like that.

It seems to require a lot more water than my White Indian Guava, is slower growing, and is harder hit by high temps unless heavily watered.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:44:35 AM by So_Cal_Mike »
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 01:40:06 AM »

It seems to require a lot more water than my White Indian Guava, is slower growing, and is harder hit by high temps unless heavily watered.

Hows the fruits?  Im always tempted to purchase one at the nursery.
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »
That my friend is a Malaysian purple and the one I had grew strongly, looked lovely and produced fruit very well. Unfortunately the fruit quality left much to be desired and the tree volunteered for mulch patrol.I don't have enough space for looks to triumph over substance.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 07:40:55 AM »
That my friend is a Malaysian purple and the one I had grew strongly, looked lovely and produced fruit very well. Unfortunately the fruit quality left much to be desired and the tree volunteered for mulch patrol.I don't have enough space for looks to triumph over substance.
Mike, second that, I've had it for several years and fruit is insipid and tough.
Federico
Homestead, FL

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »
Pictures of the whole and cut fruit, please?

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »
Pictures of the whole and cut fruit, please?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »

I'm not impressed either, but as many of them probably are seedlings variety can be expected.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »
Strange, other than here everywhere else I read very positive comments about the taste.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
It’s ok but nothing to write home about... squirrels usually nab them before I can get them though.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 06:13:23 AM »
Detailed and accurate descriptions of fruit taste and texture with positives and negatives are not that common. Compare your own experience on specific fruit to what you have read. Eugenias are one group where you just cant be sure until you eat them yourself I have notices.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »
Congrats. It's pretty good guava and beautiful tree. Produses fruits better than the other ones in my collection. I do like the flavor of this guava. The tree is holding fruits right now. Will have the first ripe one in a day or two.

Thank you very much for the info and the pictures.

I Hope my trees do well in here.

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 12:15:23 PM »
I just got this tree too.
Mine was called "Malaysian purple". It come with some wilted flowers in the box. Does it flower more than one time like strawberry guava or I need to wait next year?

I believe my trees are from Thailand. We have lots of cheap grafted Thai mangoes in here too. Each mango tree cost around $10.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
Your tree and the tag looks like a la vern malaysian red tree.  Does it say what nursery it was from on that tag?

Mine are from Thailand and these are not my trees.

I will post a picture of the leaf of my tree, tomorrow.

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »

Thanks Mike.

BTW, Do you know if your tree is grafted or a seedling ?.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »

Mike,

I guess I will keep my expectation low For this fruit.

Anyway l'm just curious, Do you love other types of Guava ?.
Moh'd

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 04:12:32 AM »
Yes I like nearly all tropical guavas and have varieties Mexican bream and brazil orange but have grown Hawaiian pink, thai giant seedless and others. I like them of all flesh colours and prefer softer seeds, richly flavoured flesh and an alluring aroma. To me the US types are best but SA Asian and Brazilian types I have tries and found agreeable. I have found Indian types to be very ordinary.

dxgn

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »
The quality of these maroon guavas are very unpredictable. I have posted below link that it was very tasty and berry like in flavor, sweet and absolutely delicious. With jellylike flesh for core. Very special.  This was about 2 years ago. But just a couple of months ago, the crop was very bad. Taste went back to the same muskiness, type of what forumers are describing. I am still waiting for any crop to see if its still bad. hope its not a one off.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=22200.msg268320;topicseen#msg268320

Cheers,
Jet

Thank you very much for the info and the pictures.

I Hope my trees do well in here.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
Mine is from Thailand too. I just ate the first fruit of this year. It's delicious! Took some pictures, loading to the computer right now. I think I need to open my own thread about this guava with a bunch of pictures.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »
Yes I like nearly all tropical guavas and have varieties Mexican bream and brazil orange but have grown Hawaiian pink, thai giant seedless and others. I like them of all flesh colours and prefer softer seeds, richly flavoured flesh and an alluring aroma. To me the US types are best but SA Asian and Brazilian types I have tries and found agreeable. I have found Indian types to be very ordinary.

Thanks Mike.

We have the Mexican cream Guava, but in here we call it Egyptian Guava. Hawaiian pink, I believe it is also called Thai Red Guava ( correct me if I'm wrong).

Indian Commercial Variety of guava that we get in here are really not so good but they do have good varities. Sri lankan Guava are only good to crack your teeth and it is hard as a rock.

There is a Pakistani Guava variety called Danaa (Pearl in English),  it supposed to be really Good and sweet but unfortunately never had a chance to try it.

Moh'd