Author Topic: What is wrong with my garcinia laterifolia?  (Read 1781 times)

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
What is wrong with my garcinia laterifolia?
« on: February 28, 2017, 01:27:50 AM »
Last year, 2 or 3 gummosis like flows appeared on the trunk of my garcinia laterifolia. This year many new appeared, also on branches. Is it some infection, or fertilizer  side effect or something different?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:31:09 AM by Radoslav »

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with my garcinia laterifolia?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 03:33:47 AM »
Hi Radoslav.
There can be many reasons, I now mention a few. You should prevent small mechanical damage to the trunk. I think that this is not a good idea to set the pot on top of the ground. They can accidentally rub against the trunk, or promote the growth of fungi. It can cause micro damage and gummosis.

In addition, more information about the possible causes can be found on page 118:

http://www.doc-developpement-durable.org/file/Arbres-Fruitiers/FICHES_ARBRES/mangoustan/Mangosteen_monograph.pdf
Patience is a gardener's virtue

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »
I checked all the disease mentioned in that book on web , there is not too much description and pics, I googled it, but nothing resembles what is on my plant. I think it is not mechanical cause,  only in case that ants can cause it, because I have ants in some pots, but really have no clue what is going with this plant. I can remove this plant as  last solution.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
It could be the trees response to insect damage I imagine. I sometimes get problems like that with garcinias and it has to do with injury or insect attack.
Peter

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
It could be the trees response to insect damage I imagine. I sometimes get problems like that with garcinias and it has to do with injury or insect attack.
Peter

I hope this is the reason. I don't want to destroy this plant. It also behave a bit different than diseases I know, more new flows appear each day practically on whole lenght of trunk and also on some branches. When it comes to insects, so far I've seen only ants on plants in nearby pot and thrips.

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
Peter and Radoslav, ants love to eat "honeydew" from scale insects, but if You dont find any pests i think this disease is the effect of these pots that you set at the top and to short day (shading trunk, trunk humidity, hindering the access of air to the roots - it all increases the risk of fungal diseases). Sometimes the conditions in the cultivation of the home tend to be unfavorable for this type of plant. Radoslav did You use artificial lighting to reduce bad exect of to short day? Magostan is very sensitive to such things.
Patience is a gardener's virtue