Author Topic: Mai 1 Seedling Jakfruit....first fruit  (Read 6759 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Mai 1 Seedling Jakfruit....first fruit
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »
I noticed what I thought was an off season bloom on a seedling jakfruit that I have been growing for about 15 years. I originally bought it at Excalibur.  When it was newly planted it accidently got sprayed by Round Up by my lawn guy. He washed it off quickly but the tree was stunted.  I debated pulling it out of the ground, but decided to leave it.  Fifteen years later, it set fruit for the first time. I don't remember ever having jakfruit this early in the year.  I'm sure our warm, wet winter had a lot to do with that.  Anyway, I had been checking it everyday and it finally showed some ripening signs (smell, color change and skin give) on Tuesday.  I cut it off the tree and it had absolutely no latex (sap) dripping frpom either the fruit or the stem end still on the tree.  This is a first for me to have not seen at least some sap dripping from the tree or the stem of the fruit.  I did the "upside down in the bucket" trick as was suggested by Oscar.  However, there was no additional sap (latex) produced after being upside down for 4 hours, I ended the bucket treatment. I had Murahilin and Sleepdoc over to try the fruit.  It was a 13 pound fruit and was absolutely nothing like its parent, Mai1.  Mai 1 as I recall has lighter yellow flesh and the perinanths are quite thick and firm.  This fruit had darker yellow flesh and rather small seeds.  Pollination was good and there was good fruit to seed ratio.  The rag was not edible.  The flavor was quite strong and fruity and very much  "juicy fruit....maybe almost bubble gum flavored.  The flesh was very firm and completely dry.  There was absolutely no moisture or juice. The core was virtually latex free.  Although there was some latex encountered in the cleaning process, the amount was far less than most jakfruits I have cleaned and even less than its  Mai 1 parent (which is a low latex cultivar in its own right).  Overall, I enjoyed eating it........and I usually get tired of eating jakfruit given what you have to do to clean it.  I am very pleased with what it turned out to be. Here are some pictures of the tree and fruit.  Murahilin has a movie of us opening it.  Hopefully he'll post it.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mai 1 Seedling Jakfruit....first fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:50:54 PM »
Congrats...You should name it the Harry1
(:>)

FloridaGreenMan

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
great fruit ,, hope you enjoyed it ,,

Amr

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »
looking fwd to seeing the movie.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
I really enjoyed the fruit.  It was very Tasty as Harry described. 

I took a few seeds, now I have to decide where to plant the Harry1 cultivar :)

Thanks again Harry !!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
Nice!  :)
Alexi

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:09:01 AM »
Congrats Harry it looks and sounds like a superstar of a fruit, hopefully Mura will post the vid, I'd love to see the inside.  Has your tree ever outgrown it's 'stunting' from the roundup.  Could it perhaps just naturally have a dwarfish growth habit like Rob has suggested about MIA2? (not that I'm suggesting it is MIA2)

-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 02:10:22 AM »
If glyphosate (roundup) is washed off a plant within 10-15 minutes of getting accidentally sprayed it will not be stunted.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 07:28:02 AM »
Harry - from the looks of the fruit, it is on the small side for a Mai 1.  From your description of the taste of the fruit, it looks like you are supporting what I have been saying about the Mais.  What is your opinion , now that you have tasted this, of the Mai compared with other varieties you have had ?  You also said the rag was not edible, what made it not edible ?  I know while most rag is not as good as the "fruit", it is usually "edible" with varying levels of pleasing quality.  I know Har tends to really like, and sometimes favor, the rag.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
Harry - from the looks of the fruit, it is on the small side for a Mai 1.  From your description of the taste of the fruit, it looks like you are supporting what I have been saying about the Mais.  What is your opinion , now that you have tasted this, of the Mai compared with other varieties you have had ?  You also said the rag was not edible, what made it not edible ?  I know while most rag is not as good as the "fruit", it is usually "edible" with varying levels of pleasing quality.  I know Har tends to really like, and sometimes favor, the rag.

Yes, this Mai 1 seedling fruit was about half the size of the fruit from my grafted Mai 1. That could have been caused by the relative size of the tree though.  The grafted Mai 1 fruit is also shaped differently as far as I remember. I remember it to be a wider fruit in relation to the seedling. The rag was not edible....or perhaps I should have said "not eatable."  It was very thin and tough without any flavor.  I didn't say this in my previous posts but the perianth walls from the seedling were much thinner than those of its grafted parent.  I would have to do a side by side taste test as my memory is foggy as to how Mai 1 tasted.  But from my memory, I don't think the grafted fruit was quite as "juicy fruit" flavored as the seedling. I remember Mai 1 as being sweet and very enjoyable with nice crisp flesh.  beyond that, I would have to taste it again to really compare acurately. I do recall the color of the flesh being very different as I mentioned above.  Mai 1 grafted fruit flesh is a lighter, more pale yellow in color, right?

If glyphosate (roundup) is washed off a plant within 10-15 minutes of getting accidentally sprayed it will not be stunted.

As to whether the Round Up dwarfed the tree or not, I guess I cannot conclusively say.  I only know that after the accidental spraying, this jakfruit grew painfully slow as if the Round Up did affect it. I have had no other jakfruit, whether seedling or graft, grow like this one did. And as I recall, even some leaves on the seedling tree did turn yellow and drop after the accidental exposure.  I guess this could have also been coincidental though.  Unfortunately, the exact time of exposure between the spraying and the washing is something only my former lawn man knows.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 08:04:31 AM »

Yes, this Mai 1 seedling fruit was about half the size of the fruit from my grafted Mai 1. That could have been caused by the relative size of the tree though.  The grafted Mai 1 fruit is also shaped differently as far as I remember. I remember it to be a wider fruit in relation to the seedling. The rag was not edible....or perhaps I should have said "not eatable."  It was very thin and tough without any flavor.  I didn't say this in my previous posts but the perianth walls from the seedling were much thinner than those of its grafted parent.  I would have to do a side by side taste test as my memory is foggy as to how Mai 1 tasted.  But from my memory, I don't think the grafted fruit was quite as "juicy fruit" flavored as the seedling. I remember Mai 1 as being sweet and very enjoyable with nice crisp flesh.  beyond that, I would have to taste it again to really compare accurately. I do recall the color of the flesh being very different as I mentioned above.  Mai 1 grafted fruit flesh is a lighter, more pale yellow in color, right?

Yes, the color of Mai 1 is a more pale yellow.  Mai 2 is a little darker and Mai 3 is significantly more on the orange side.  The Mai 1s I have had have all had a strong juicy fruit flavor (while we all tend to say in general that jackfruit has a juicy fruit flavor, the complexity and intensity varies from variety to variety as to not make some people think they all "taste the same").  They have also been very sweet, crunchy and juicy (in terms of relavency when it comes to a jackfruit).
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
Zero latex, great flavor,  .... Now I'm Hungry  ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
Looks nice.
I never cut jacks like that: all the way through. First you will ruin a lot of the seeds. But more importantly if there is latex in the fruit you will get the latex all over your knife, as most of the latex is in the core or close to the core. I always cut longitudunal 1/8 or so sections from the exterior and pull the outer skin off, revealing fruits and seeds and not damaging any of it or spreading all the latex inside the fruit.
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »
Looks nice.
I never cut jacks like that: all the way through. First you will ruin a lot of the seeds. But more importantly if there is latex in the fruit you will get the latex all over your knife, as most of the latex is in the core or close to the core. I always cut longitudunal 1/8 or so sections from the exterior and pull the outer skin off, revealing fruits and seeds and not damaging any of it or spreading all the latex inside the fruit.

Do you have a video of your method?  I would love to see it.  Trying to imagine the  way you describe ...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
Who is the other person cutting besides Harry ?  Poor knife skills  ???, don't you know not to cut toward you hands/body  :o  8)
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
Looks nice.

Do you have a video of your method?  I would love to see it.  Trying to imagine the  way you describe ...

I don't have a video of that, but wouldn't be surprised if one already exists. But it's really not at all complicated. Basically you are just peeling the exterior skin instead of cutting through the fruit. You peel it by making some cuts 1-2 inches deep length wise and then pulling skin off.
Oscar

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
Oscar's method is the best i think ,, it keeps the latex as is in the inner core ,, peeling off the skin then revealing the fruit segments intact is the best but i think  requires that the fruit is mature enough that the fruit segments won't be attached to the skin ,,

here is a video for a farm in australia they sell seeds as well

http://www.capetrib.com.au/jakfruit.htm

Amr
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:29:37 PM by amrkhalido »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »
Interesting video, Amr.  However, none of the fruits that I have ever opened would fall apart like that.  The fruit that they are eating looks to me to have some champedak in its breeding.  I have never seen a jakfruit that was that soft either, without being well beyond its prime.....frankly, it would have to be rotten to be that soft.  So....with a  champedak relative, this method is good.  Oscar is decribing a totally different method .  I am going to try Oscar's method with my next opening.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
Interesting video, Amr.  However, none of the fruits that I have ever opened would fall apart like that.  The fruit that they are eating looks to me to have some champedak in its breeding.  I have never seen a jakfruit that was that soft either, without being well beyond its prime.....frankly, it would have to be rotten to be that soft.  So....with a  champedak relative, this method is good.  Oscar is decribing a totally different method .  I am going to try Oscar's method with my next opening.

Harry

Keep us posted Harry ,, maybe this fruit have some chempadak as they are offering chempadak seeds as well ,, or maybe the variety is completely different ,, and yes i though that when the fruit is that soft it may be over ripe to rotten but then i saw them eating it lol ,,

Amr

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 05:52:36 AM »

Harry

Yup, that ain't no jackfruit. It has no rag. It's too rounded to be a chempadek, so it it's probably a cheena, chempajack, or whatever you want to call it. BTW, my cheena had plenty of rag. I just picked another one today so hope to get some shots of interior, and enjoy another cheena, banana, alomond milk, cinnamon, smoothie.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk