Author Topic: Aussie Mango in USA 19/20  (Read 5839 times)

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Aussie Mango in USA 19/20
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:59:41 AM »
OZ mango varieties will be available in Los Angeles at Retailer Gelson's until Feb/20........ Varieties will be Kensington Pride...R2E2...Calypso and Keitt.... All are from the same Commercial farm in Northern Territory....... Enjoy & please provide comments..... Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie Mango in USA 19/20
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »
Except for bowens they aren't really earth shattering varieties.Territory mangoes are the earliest mangoes and I think east coast November/December mangoes taste better.Calypsos do look nice but really its whats inside that really counts.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 05:09:46 PM »
I'd rather you guys spend the effort sending us your Annonas/Passionfruit.

But I'll take what I can get.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »
Some of the Australian passionfruit, atemoyas and lychees could be hits in California and Florida but maybe not the mangoes. I guess a few KP offspring like honey gold and ones that are really Asian like Taiwan Gold Giant could do ok.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
Some of the Australian passionfruit, atemoyas and lychees could be hits in California and Florida but maybe not the mangoes. I guess a few KP offspring like honey gold and ones that are really Asian like Taiwan Gold Giant could do ok.

I am very fond of honey gold, it is my favourite mango (of what is available).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:25:24 PM by Ulfr »

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 10:01:51 PM »
Someone at work was eating a calypso the other day. Firm dry pale flesh. If you don't need to change your shirt after its not a real mango.
Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 10:08:23 PM »
I’m growing R2E2 and honey gold not bad mango but not close to top tier

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 06:04:59 AM »
I’m growing R2E2 and honey gold not bad mango but not close to top tier

Yeah I don’t rate r2e2 either but do honey gold. Very surprised to hear you grow it JF. How did it get over there? Trees are not available here (it is still protected, pbr?) but growers swap scion.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:17:47 AM by Ulfr »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 07:20:35 AM »
It has been there for a while. It is surprising that Keitt was included in that lot as its a pretty ordinary variety and gets just about the lowest prices in the markets.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »

I am very fond of honey gold, it is my favourite mango (of what is available).

Hi Ulfr

I bought HG scions a few years ago. It’s on a multigrafted tree so I’ve only had 2-3 fruits.....who knows it may not be the real thing but the fruits I tried from that graft reminds me of Florigan which is just an average tasting mango here

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
Hi Ulfr

I bought HG scions a few years ago. It’s on a multigrafted tree so I’ve only had 2-3 fruits.....who knows it may not be the real thing but the fruits I tried from that graft reminds me of Florigan which is just an average tasting mango here

Cool, might just be my tastes. I’ll have to try Florigan :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:04:51 PM by Ulfr »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »
It ha been noted before that Australian mangoes generally are not well received in America and American mangoes are not popular in Australia with most of those introduced considered low quality. SE Asian mangoes are well accepted in Australia and vice versa. The differences in tastes is hard to explain especially in regard to Kensington pride and this has be raised many times on the forum before.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »
Hey Mike,

Do you know of anyone in Australia that has fruited any of the newer Zill varieties of Mangos like Lemon Zest or Sweet Tart? Both these varieties are usually Polyembryonic and both are top tier. I’m hoping that you guys/gals have them because they are mind blowing in terms of flavor. I hope that Australians can taste these wonderful Zill creations.

Simon

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 03:04:34 AM »
Mike may have more but yes they are being grown here Simon (some by those in this thread).  I don’t know of any that have fruited yet. Looking forward to trying one!

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 03:17:31 AM »
I have seedlings of sweet tart and OS holding fruit this year, so we'll see if they end up looking true to type. The ST fruit-lets are dropping fast though. LZ, PPK seedlings failed to flower this year.

The OS seedling does have a citrus sap smell, that's a good sign. The ST seedling has been a disease magnet so that doesn't seem to mesh with what is said about the parent plant, wait and see. OS seedling is staying pretty clean.

I don't really get any citrus smell from the PPK and LZ seedlings, or see the wavy leaf margins on the LZ seedling. Mike Rules trees are farther along. My PPK and LZ are maybe 12 feet tall now so maybe next year. I should take some pictures of the trees and new growth to see if they match in the eyes of someone who has seen the actual parent trees.

I grew up on Canada, if you want a terrible mango, try an imported mango in Canada. Taste like paint thinner and green carrot tops even when they look soft and ripe. I'll admit I do like a KP and its seedlings, particularly the Alison Red KP. The fruits weigh it down faster than it can grow up so it just grows sideways.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:51:41 AM by echinopora »

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 08:15:39 AM »
Most  of our Commercial mangoes are crosses with Kensington Pride....R2E2 KP & Kent....Caipyso KP & Sensation....newer varieties NMBP 4069 KP & Van Dyke....NMBP 1201 KP & Irwin.....NMBP 1243 KP & Irwin...... others include Lady Jane & Lady Grace both R2E2 & Irwin .......  The mango that you will be eating from Gelson's would have been picked green  & not ripened on the tree...... In the case of R2E2 they are 10 times better if tree ripened ......I would love to hear from any one that get get some to try or perhaps Simon  or someone could tell us what the Brix reading is on these mangoes....... Mike

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
If I get a hold of any of these Aussie Mangos, I’ll post a description of the flavor profile and Brix. I’m sure I’ve posted about Kensington Pride and Kensington Pride Seedling before.

When you planted the Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart seedlings, did you get more than 1 sprout? If you get two seedlings or more, coming from the same seed but from different segments of the seed, there is a good chance one will be a clone.

If you only get one seedling, it could be zygotic or clone.

Sweet Tart is very disease resistant in Florida and SoCal but remember that there are many different strains of Powdery Mildew and other fungi out there. Perhaps the strain you have is extremely virulent towards the Sweet Tart. Are you sure seeds didn’t get mixed up.

LZ is a disease magnet in SoCal.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »
Hey Mike
Cross yr KP with Gary or Pettigrew. It seem like Gary Zill uses this formula with every top tier mango he releases.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »
Dropped by Gelson's today and remembered the Aussie Mango thread.  They had KP priced at $7.99 each.  Turned around and walked out.  I love mangos, but that's an indulgence I will leave to others. 

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »
Priced to match annona.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 04:09:56 AM »
At us7.99 That is a costly experience... In our major food chains the KP are aus$1.50 each...

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 04:27:24 AM »
At us7.99 That is a costly experience... In our major food chains the KP are aus$1.50 each...

Haha was going to say, per tray?!

They were still $2.50 at my local last week (from memory) but certainly get cheaper later in the season.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 04:27:27 AM »
They get a lot cheaper as the season goes on.$1each on the side of the road.Maha Chanok tastes almost as good as KP but are the start of the season are both are very expensive  with maha crazy expensive per kg.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 04:33:00 AM »

It would be reasonable if there was a high demand over here for KP, but I never see anyone rave about it.

Here it's competing directly with our season's production of several mango varieties, and it's going to be competing with our local annona which are highly sought after. Even random seedling non-hand-pollinated runt annona here sell for 4.99/lb. Named varieties are going for similar prices to the KP.

I really wish they would export the aussie annona and passionfruit, it would actually justify the price. The litchis may be good, but I'm not so sure the shelf life allows them to provide similar satisfaction after a trip across the Pacific.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:25 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2015-03-30/custard-apple-season-on-queensland-sunshine-coast/6357968
The atemoyas get sent to SE Asia mostly and the local prices are really high also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk