Author Topic: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms  (Read 49834 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
I've never looked into growing any sort of palm, but you guys got me curious. The fruit looks amazing (as in, I'm gonna have to try some)! I happen to like eating heart of palm (veggie). For those curious, the Discovery channel did a "how it's made" on heart of palm here: http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/how-its-made/videos/how-its-made-heart-of-palm.htm

Thanks for the video.  Of course, no that I have seen it, I want to grow palm hearts.  I thought they had to get a lot more size before being cut, but it seems if i choose the right species, it could be quite easy.  Thanks.

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
Larry Noblick, Palm Biologist, will share a Talk, ... about "which (edible?) palms have done well in South Florida."

Dr. Noblick will also "share how he became a palm biologist and some of his adventures in collecting and studying palms in South America and other parts of the world."

I look forward to tap into the Dr's. vast knowledge and experiences with palms, and ask him to please also talk about edible fruit palms for South Florida, the best edible varieties for South Florida, and where to obtain them.

Talk time and location: February 22, 2016; 7:00 - 9:00 PM (tomorrow) Free
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables, FL

http://events.miamiherald.com/venue.aspx?venue_id=5363&perf_id=2283613
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:24:43 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2016, 09:25:28 PM »

http://www.palms.org/principes/1996/vol40n2p93-102.pdf Some info on the carpoxylon. Thanks for starting this thread guys, now I wanna grow some palms and since they are palms I think I can sneak them onto my yard without my wife noticing, she said no more fruit trees lol! The carpoxylon is a beautiful fruit though not much info on taste, whereas the snake fruit is and interesting option from taste reports and I like the hearts of palm idea too.

-joep450

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »

http://www.palms.org/principes/1996/vol40n2p93-102.pdf Some info on the carpoxylon. Thanks for starting this thread guys, now I wanna grow some palms and since they are palms I think I can sneak them onto my yard without my wife noticing, she said no more fruit trees lol! The carpoxylon is a beautiful fruit though not much info on taste, whereas the snake fruit is and interesting option from taste reports and I like the hearts of palm idea too.

-joep450

Welcome Joep450, and thank you for that awesome photo of the carpoxylon fruit. Finding out about the quality and taste of the fruit is now in my bucket list. BTW, you really cracked me up on the story about bringing edible fruit palm trees to your yard, that's a real good one, lol. But, it's a win win situation, to have beautiful palm trees with edible fruit!

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2016, 10:02:47 PM »
By carpoxylon being a beautiful fruit, I meant to say beautiful Palm, resembling a foxtail Palm.

-joep450

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2016, 11:12:42 PM »
Well, I just got back from the talk by the palm Dr., Larry Noblick at Fairchild Tropical Gardens. It was my honor to meet, listen and share a few words with him. Although he's an expert who specializes in palms, he has many other degrees.

As I mentioned yesterday, the free talk was held at Fairchild. The talk had an enjoyable ambiance of which no one else can put together like Fairchild Tropical Gardens.

I was able to take some quick notes on my iPhone, whose battery was about all gone, but was very glad to be able to switch to low battery mode with no problems after that. So, thank you Apple.

I was lucky to get a hold of Dr. Noblick before he began the lecture, and I asked him to please also talk about edible fruit palms, considering his vast experience and travels in the tropical locations of the world. Although he told me that edible fruit palms were not his expertise, he is aware of edible fruit palms like the peach palm and a few others.

The guy is amazing, he learned how to go up just about any kind of palm tree with a contraption (called a jepa? or something like that) that consists of two metal chords, each with a piece of specially design wood for each foot, so that that when stepped on will support the weight of the climber as he goes of a palm tree. It's a very ingenious contraption. One piece would go around the palm tree and the ending part of it would kind of wrap around the lower portion of one leg, while the other piece would also wrap around the palm tree and the ending part would wrap around the waist. I found it truly amazing and I was like, I've 'gotta' get me one of those things. Dr. Noblick bought his contraption while in Brazil for $40.

The lecture was very interesting. He's been to just about every tropical location in the world where palms grow. He's discovered and named new palm species, and in the professional slide show were shown a myriad of all types of different types of palm species, exotic-beautiful palms, fat palms, thin palms, giant palms, super dwarf one foot tall palms... And, there were indeed some very interesting and exciting edible fruit palm species in the slide show.

Of the several edible fruit palms he mentioned during the speech, the one that garnered the most attention of everyone in the audience, including myself, was the double coconut seed palm, found in the Seychelle Islands. I garbled the scientific name when I wrote it down: Lidoices?-Maldivian. After the lecture, I spent some time talking with Dr. Noblick, and he told me that inside the gigantic double coconut seed is quite a good amount of edible food!

Finally, I couldn't help but to ask Dr. Noblick about his opinion on the new precise gene manipulation technology called CRISPR/CAS9, with regards to doing some fine tuning of palm genes like the coconut palm to improve the quality and productivity of coconut trees. Although he was not aware of this technology yet, I was not surprised after taking from the lecture that he's a very hands on, in the field, traveling scientist, and not locked up in a lab someplace. And, also because the CRISPR/CAS9 technology is still so brand new at just about 4 years old.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:38:38 PM by LEOOEL »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2016, 11:26:56 PM »
Lodoicea maldivica, commonly known as Coco de Mer.  Your best bet is to read about it,  that is most likely the closest you will get to a fruit or fruiting tree.

- Rob

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2016, 11:52:01 PM »
Thanks, that's the name of the double coconut seed palm, Lodoicea maldivica.

This variety is only found in the Seychelle Islands according to Dr. Noblick. And, you're right, according to Noblik, the citizens of the Seychelle Islands are guarding this variety like it was gold and preventing its propagation, in any way whatsoever, of either the coconut seed or the palm tree, outside of their islands.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 12:16:07 AM »
Butia capitats i tried from different trees and ones are not a big thing but I tryed one that it was exquisite. A mix between pina and orange. Delicious
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 12:16:25 AM »
There are fruiting Coco De Mer at Foster Botanical Gardens in Hawaii (dont know if they are fruiting now but did in the past).
- Rob

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2016, 12:54:03 AM »
One of the very few Coco de Mer collectors in the PH - the others are in private gardens and not open to the public ever.

https://renz15.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/dr-coronel-exotic-fruit-farm-tour/

Price range still way out of my league- hope is a good thing though! I at least know where to find one close by if ever the time comes I'm able to afford it.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2016, 05:52:34 AM »
Thanks, that's the name of the double coconut seed palm, Lodoicea maldivica.

This variety is only found in the Seychelle Islands according to Dr. Noblick. And, you're right, according to Noblik, the citizens of the Seychelle Islands are guarding this variety like it was gold and preventing its propagation, in any way whatsoever, of either the coconut seed or the palm tree, outside of their islands.
I wouldn't say that is true. The double coconut has been taken out of Seychelles hundreds of times. The government of Seychelles is trying to protect the plant from becoming extinct in its native habitat. There were too many nuts being taken out of the country. Recently they imposed very high fees for a certificate to be issued that allows the nuts to be sold.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2016, 05:55:07 AM »
There are fruiting Coco De Mer at Foster Botanical Gardens in Hawaii (dont know if they are fruiting now but did in the past).
One of the trees at Fosters went down quite some time ago and the remaining tree does not get pollinated, so no fruits. But the double coconut exists in private collections here. But most of the trees are too young to fruit. This is a slow growing tree that takes an extremely long time to fruit.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2016, 05:58:23 AM »
Lodoicea maldivica, commonly known as Coco de Mer.  Your best bet is to read about it,  that is most likely the closest you will get to a fruit or fruiting tree.
Even if you go to Seychelles Islands and get close to a fruiting tree you wouldn't want to eat the nut because they are extremely valuable, as well as protected.
Oscar

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2016, 07:25:35 AM »
There is a waiting list for it on this end as it takes 2 years from planting to getting a proper grown seedling - one with about 4 fronds thereabouts.  Aside from the steep price for larger sizes (guaranteed I won't be able to kill those out of neglect!) but was told that some other locals have fruiting trees as well they just prefer to grow seedlings for giving away to family members as some kind of fancy Christmas pressie.

Google search shows.coconuts still taste better? I wonder if I can pop in for a farm visit and ask to eat one outright - I'll prob get banned for life. :) we should hope we have a member who has managed to taste one so we have first-hand feedback as to whether it is at par or better than Coconut.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »
There is a waiting list for it on this end as it takes 2 years from planting to getting a proper grown seedling - one with about 4 fronds thereabouts.  Aside from the steep price for larger sizes (guaranteed I won't be able to kill those out of neglect!) but was told that some other locals have fruiting trees as well they just prefer to grow seedlings for giving away to family members as some kind of fancy Christmas pressie.

Google search shows.coconuts still taste better? I wonder if I can pop in for a farm visit and ask to eat one outright - I'll prob get banned for life. :) we should hope we have a member who has managed to taste one so we have first-hand feedback as to whether it is at par or better than Coconut.
I think only the ultra rich can indulge in them as each seeds is worth several hundred dollars!  :o
Oscar

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
Wikipedia says they are dioecious Oscar! If macapuno can be tissue cultured all over the ASEAN member states, how come nobody thought of TC'ing Coco de Mer - at least for conservation purposes! I mean dates are dioecious as well and people tissue culture both male and female trees for commercial planting...

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2016, 03:43:30 AM »
This was my reply to a pmail question about a Peach Palm that was not fruiting:

What I have learned about Peach Palm fruits is, that the quality of seedlings vary greatly from one to the other.

The plant biologist that presented the lecture I attended, said that the best way to propagate Peach Palm is not by seeds but by propagating the shoots of quality Peach Palm varieties. These shoots grow on its sides.

Nevertheless, great varieties are produced from seeds when many seeds are planted and the best offspring is chosen.

Technology is changing very rapidly. Just as we Humans have been able to transfer the gene that makes a fish glow in the dark and transfer it to kittens that make them glow in the dark, I believe that within 10 years we'll be able to also make radical but important gene transfers between plant species, so that the quality of fruit produced by palms is improved.

For example, there is currently an undergoing effort to extend Human longevity along with a youthful vigorous health, whereas millions of people are having whole body MRI's, and their genome sequenced. Then, all this metadata from the millions of people is fed into supercomputers, analyzed, and the relevant findings will dictate the necessary course of action to obtain a perpetually healthy extreme longevity.

Currently an obstacle to speed things up is that it costs $1,000 to sequence just one genome. But, prices are quickly coming down, just about 10 years ago, sequencing one genome cost many millions of dollars.

What I'm trying to say is that 'when' the price of sequencing the genome of regular fruit trees and palms comes down to just a few dollars (or less) per genome, then amazing gene transfers will likely be made from regular fruit bearing trees to fruit bearing palm trees, using currently available technology such as CRISPR/CAS9. The culmination of this research effort, would then be palm trees that finally and easily yield 'date' fruit in my subtropical temperature zone of Miami, Florida, USA. But, more importantly, we will possibly see palm trees that yield exotic fruit such as mango fruit, or palm trees that bear lychee fruit, or palm trees that bear sapodilla fruit, ...avocado fruit, ...tamarind, ...Spanish-lime... If history is a good indicator, as mentioned above, this could be taking place in approximately 10 years.

The advantage for palm trees to bear these type of fruits is that many/most fruit tree hobbyists only have a small yard to grow fruit trees that take up a lot of space. On the other hand, palm trees are very compact and thus, many more palm trees with each yielding different species of fruit-tree fruits, could easily fit in most small yards.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:51:08 PM by LEOOEL »

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2016, 04:41:35 AM »
On the previous page you wrote about Jelly Palm....someone said there are big differences among plant as size and taste of their fruits...so, are there some selected Jelly Palms? Are know cultivar with specific characteristics?

Somewhere i read that there should be a Dwarf Jelly Palm that should be also more cold-hardy than other....

There is also confusion about phylogeny....Butia capitata and Butia odorata are different species? or Butia odorota is just a cultivar of Butia capitata? which are the differences between this two palms?

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2016, 06:09:11 AM »
Anyone have any advice whether Metroxylon sagu - Sagu palm - and regular Acai palm will thrive in brackish water or better put them beside a rainwater catchment pond? I've been getting conflicting advice from locals - and when I asked the nursery I got them from they went sheepish and said no idea, everything is just watered with tap water left out for a week. So the only thing I took away from that convo is water with water that the chlorine and flouride has already been evaporated away.

Spacing also? Is 20m x 20m far apart enough for Sagu given its suckering tendency? I'm assuming Acai will be same as Arenga pinnata more manageable and will be fine with 8m x 8m? Thanks much!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:10:54 AM by DimplesLee »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2016, 02:03:54 AM »
In my opinion, the edible fruit palm industry is still in its infancy, even though there is an industry for the edible 'date' fruit palm.

I don't know of anyone having a quality variety of the peach palm that has been named as a specific cultivar. IMO, if you do find such a peach-palm specimen, try to name it and propagate it as much as you can. Selling quality cultivars is an excellent way to propagate quality peach palms. Oh, and please let me know if you do find one. ;)

On the previous page you wrote about Jelly Palm....someone said there are big differences among plant as size and taste of their fruits...so, are there some selected Jelly Palms? Are know cultivar with specific characteristics?

Somewhere i read that there should be a Dwarf Jelly Palm that should be also more cold-hardy than other....

There is also confusion about phylogeny....Butia capitata and Butia odorata are different species? or Butia odorota is just a cultivar of Butia capitata? which are the differences between this two palms?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »

It is my understanding....
Pindo/Jelly palm seeds are highly variable in fruit quality.  You can't exactly graft or air-layer these things, so unless they pup, tissue culture would be the only option.  I think I said before, these are not currently cultivated for their fruit, only for their ornamental value.  I suppose there is a market niche there.
Here is one of mine, not the best picture for it, but I neglected it, the thing is trying to climb out of the pot! about 3 inches.  They are definitely hardy. Since repotted.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2016, 12:07:23 PM »

I believe Dennis Sharmahd here in San Diego is trying to breed a better B. Eriospatha. Its been a couple years since he mentioned it to me.
Shane

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
Finally, I was able to get my hands on a 'Spineless-Peach-Palm (Bactris gasipaes)' pup. I've done my part: It's already potted in great soil, watered, and in full Sun. I sure hope it survives the process and starts to thrive & grow; now the waiting game begins.

The 'Peach Palm' is also known as: Pixbae; Pewa.

"...It is widely cultivated in the New World tropics for its edible fruit and palm hearts...people have utilized it for many thousands of years...Analysis performed by experts has confirmed that as food, it is the tropical fruit that is the most balanced and the most nourishing, because it contains more protein than the avocado, has twice the protein value of the banana, and its nutritional value is comparable to the hen's egg but without the cholesterol..."

I plan to let the pups grow around the main palm trunk, and harvest their heart-of-palm when they're about 12-14 feet tall.

It's incredible, just about everything in the Peach-Palm is either edible or usable!

I've heard that Peach-Palms with Spines produce much more abundant fruit, but I'll take my chances to find out what the real fruit production is with this one I have.

This is another case of a great fruit producing palm tree, with the only major problem being that with productive varieties, they have many nasty spines on the trunk.

So, if someone is an expert with the new & easy to use gene editing technology 'Crispr-Cas9,' and can remove the nasty spines, then that'll be great and I'll be among the first to buy the new cultivar at a reasonable price. Otherwise, we may just have to wait on the so called 'Singularity' to arrive in about 30 years, to buy a productive Peach-Palm without the spines.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
My favorite is Butia eriosophata.or something similar. It grows naturally in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo