Author Topic: Dole Pineapple Almost Ripe.  (Read 4128 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Dole Pineapple Almost Ripe.
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
Here is a Dole pineapple that's almost ripe its a store bought pineapple this will be the last time
i grow a store bought pineapple just wanted to share with everyone :)

Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dole Pineapple Almost Ripe.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:50:27 AM »
Hey maybe it will turn out very sweet for you. I’ve heard others report that the store bought tops fruited with good quality fruit. Please let us know how it tastes.

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:19:44 AM »
That's a nice size pineapple. Let it get all yellow and it will be sweet. All my store bought pineapples turned out to be very tasty. I plant the tops again and also let the mother plant to grow babies and they give me fruits next year the same quality.  Now I have more than I need.  :D

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »
Here is a Dole pineapple that's almost ripe its a store bought pineapple this will be the last time

Let it go gold top to bottom. It's about ready.  I've planted many a store bought "twistee" and they were excellent and tend to bear within 18 mos. of planting.  I have clones and by comparision they are a big disappointment.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
Hey maybe it will turn out very sweet for you. I’ve heard others report that the store bought tops fruited with good quality fruit. Please let us know how it tastes.

Simon

hey i will keep you updated about it and let you know how it turns out

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
That's a nice size pineapple. Let it get all yellow and it will be sweet. All my store bought pineapples turned out to be very tasty. I plant the tops again and also let the mother plant to grow babies and they give me fruits next year the same quality.  Now I have more than I need.  :D

Really to me the photo of it doesn't do it justice cause if you were to look at it in real life its much bigger not sure why taken photos make them look smaller than they really are... I'm not going to grow it again cause i need room for my other rare hard to find pineapple plants i grow so i'm making space for them

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »

Let it go gold top to bottom. It's about ready.  I've planted many a store bought "twistee" and they were excellent and tend to bear within 18 mos. of planting.  I have clones and by comparision they are a big disappointment.

Hey that's the plan to let it go gold shouldn't be to much longer Can't wait to see how it turns out

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »
Hey that's the plan to let it go gold shouldn't be to much longer Can't wait to see how it turns out

Yep, report please.  Brix too if you have a meter. 

In case you don't have a corer this is fine one. https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Apple-Corer/dp/B00004OCIQ/ref=lp_678502011_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1508684278&sr=1-10

I like it better than the one that pulls the whole fruit, slices a continuous circle top to bottom.  No two pineapples are the same so if small in diameter you'll pick up some of the peel.  If a large diameter you'll leaves some meat behind.

Good luck!

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »

Yep, report please.  Brix too if you have a meter. 

In case you don't have a corer this is fine one. https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Apple-Corer/dp/B00004OCIQ/ref=lp_678502011_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1508684278&sr=1-10

I like it better than the one that pulls the whole fruit, slices a continuous circle top to bottom.  No two pineapples are the same so if small in diameter you'll pick up some of the peel.  If a large diameter you'll leaves some meat behind.

Good luck!

the corer you listed seems like it would be better used with a queen pineapple cause there small already doesn't seem it would work to
good with a bigger pineapple the corer was meant for small things like apples be nice if they had a longer one

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »
the corer you listed seems like it would be better used with a queen pineapple cause there small already doesn't seem it would work to
good with a bigger pineapple the corer was meant for small things like apples be nice if they had a longer one

Not a problem - cut off both ends and core from each end.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »
Update on the Dole Pineapple i removed it from the mother plant today wanted to share some photos of it will
update again once i cut it and test the Brix %

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
Awesome fruit, great size and color! Please let us know how it tastes.

Simon

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »
Nice job!  That's a good sized fruit.  Usually you see home-grown pineapples half that size.  What's your secret?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 08:18:53 PM »
Nice job!  That's a good sized fruit.  Usually you see home-grown pineapples half that size.  What's your secret?

I use Acid fertilizer once a month

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Fine fruit!

What's the NPK and brand?  That probably mimics the acidic volcanic soil series.  Hawaiian pros recommend a high N low P food with plenty of iron broadcast over the plants with large spray booms.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
Fine fruit!

What's the NPK and brand?  That probably mimics the acidic volcanic soil series.  Hawaiian pros recommend a high N low P food with plenty of iron broadcast over the plants with large spray booms.

it's called Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food its 30-10-10. I learned to start using it from Jude in hawaii the one who grows the kauai white sugarloaf pineapple..... so far since i been using it my plants have been doing great and getting huge like Jude said they would so they would be able to support bigger pineapples.....

but at first when i start rooting them i start them off with only Osmocote for the first 6 months for root growth only.... than after 6 months i start the acidic plant food... little bit gose's a long ways so you don't need much per plant

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 04:27:15 AM »
Hi Jimmy,what is the osmocote you use for the roots?                  Patrick

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:07 AM »
it's called Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food its 30-10-10. I learned to start using it from Jude in hawaii the one who grows the kauai white sugarloaf pineapple..... so far since i been using it my plants have been doing great and getting huge like Jude said they would so they would be able to support bigger pineapples.....

but at first when i start rooting them i start them off with only Osmocote for the first 6 months for root growth only.... than after 6 months i start the acidic plant food... little bit gose's a long ways so you don't need much per plant

Ahhhhh, the old Miracid.  Interesting as the N source is mostly urea and is completely ammonical based.  K source is potassium chloride so it doesn't mind chloride apparently.  Many of my pineapples are way too yellow.  I'll try it.  Do you water in the cup and how much per gallon?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »

Ahhhhh, the old Miracid.  Interesting as the N source is mostly urea and is completely ammonical based.  K source is potassium chloride so it doesn't mind chloride apparently.  Many of my pineapples are way too yellow.  I'll try it.  Do you water in the cup and how much per gallon?

i mix 1 tsp. per gallon and i feed them in the cups.... and i give each pineapple plant 1 cup

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
Brix reading for bottom on pineapple 17% and top of pineapple 15% pineapple was really sweet tasteing

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »
That sounds great, as long as it was tasty. I just wish the store bought pineapples had a softer core.

Simon