Author Topic: What's your least favorite fruit and why????  (Read 37469 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: What's your least favorite fruit and why????
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
Babaco hands down the worst so far. Basically flavourless, not even worthy of filler in a fruit salad.

Very recently I had some excellent Babaco grown by a friend nearby.  I wonder if it tastes better when grown in a cool foggy location like his?  It was juicy and aromatic and mildly sweet.  We ate the whole thing in one sitting and were stuffed.

Had babaco in NZ, where it was cool and foggy, and still was really tasteless, at least compared to a good papaya.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2015, 12:32:23 AM »
Babaco hands down the worst so far. Basically flavourless, not even worthy of filler in a fruit salad.

Very recently I had some excellent Babaco grown by a friend nearby.  I wonder if it tastes better when grown in a cool foggy location like his?  It was juicy and aromatic and mildly sweet.  We ate the whole thing in one sitting and were stuffed.

Had babaco in NZ, where it was cool and foggy, and still was really tasteless, at least compared to a good papaya.

Yeah, I was thinking I should have added that when I stopped comparing it to Papaya then I started appreciating it for its own unique flavor.  (I find it much more refreshing than Papaya, but it's definitely not as complex.)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2015, 01:50:34 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking I should have added that when I stopped comparing it to Papaya then I started appreciating it for its own unique flavor.  (I find it much more refreshing than Papaya, but it's definitely not as complex.)

There are a bunch of vasconcella species that are really bland. They are usually cooked in sugar or syruped to give them some flavor.
Oscar

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2019, 12:10:40 PM »
Less favourites. Rangpur lime. Looks awsome, but mine was bland with a soapy aftertaste. Nothing to see there. Maybe I'm not using it correctly or do not have a good variety.

Yew (red arils without seeds!), the only non lethal part of yew.
Because it does not worth it. Yew is a really dangerous creature. You need to circumnavigate the lethal seed to obtain a just bland, sweet and viscous paste. Like a jelly forgotten in a plate for days..

Elderberries raw gave me an unpleasand and mild case of stomach ache, but are perfectly ok as marmalade. Processed flowers are better. Elderberry flower's champagne is fine. Bottles can explode but as drink is fine.

And just can't physically stand cavendish bananas, If I eat even a small portion I throw it again, but maybe this is because pesticides or an allergy problem.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:19:35 PM by pvaldes »

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
Elderberries raw gave me an unpleasand and mild case of stomach ache, but are perfectly ok as marmalade. Processed flowers are better. Elderberry flower's champagne is fine. Bottles can explode but as drink is fine.

The reason you react poorly to raw elderberries is probably because they are mildly poisonous, on account of the cyanide precursors the raw berries contain.

Cooking them takes care of the issue, which is why the marmalade is ok.

I would recommend that no one eat elderberries raw.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
And just can't physically stand cavendish bananas, If I eat even a small portion I throw it again, but maybe this is because pesticides or an allergy problem.
[/quote]

I have the same problem with any grocery store banana, not just Cavendish. They make me feel like I swallowed a bunch of concrete but locally grown bananas are fine.  I think it’s either because bananas from the store are picked too early and I can’t digest the starches or because of something they are sprayed with. 

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
Tomatoes, they're put into everything and they taste aweful. I guess commercial varieties aren't too bad because they're so bland and tastless but I can't stand homegrown, the flavorful tomatoey taste explosion is too much for me.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2019, 09:36:36 PM »
Prickly pear cactus fruit its verry bland and tastes like a squash cooked in the owen ( but verry bland).Litchi its chewy,verry sweet but the flavor its like of a really bad ,sweet scented perfume and its verry strong.Mangosteen( only the red one i ate a few times)- another overrated fruit thats chewy and the taste its like that of somme perfumed grapes.Mangosteen its not a bad fruit but it was told to me thats the best fruit in the world and i dont believe that statement(somme grapes are better of similar flavor ).I think that this fruit atracts people because it comes in a nice natural package with the husk surrounding the edible part and its indeed a beautifull fruit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:40:18 PM by SeaWalnut »

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »
Noni - just the smell is too much

Any fruit picked totally unripe to maximize shelf life and profits

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2019, 03:06:25 AM »
I don't understand how Grapefruit is considered a good fruit. I mean the 1st second of biting into it it's a bliss, then comes that awful bitterness SMACK in your face. Your smile disappears, your hope vanishes, your dreams fade away and light turns to shadows. Hello darkness my old friend.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

scottsurf

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2019, 06:27:21 PM »
lol do you eat it like a orange

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2019, 06:10:07 AM »
lol do you eat it like a orange

How else?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2019, 07:50:25 AM »
Cantaloupe. Mild, bland, watery and slimy. Junk.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2019, 08:54:13 AM »

There are amazing Cantaloupes. They need some heat and dry weather to shine.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »

There are amazing Cantaloupes. They need some heat and dry weather to shine.
We have fantastic cantaloupes in the Sacramento valley (ca) Hot, dry summers. I've had melons in S. Carolina during some of my stays and did not find them nearly as tasty as back home.
-Kris

scottsurf

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jkz5dwdAqI

yah I cant eat grapefruit straight either
 I cut like in the video but I add sugar or agave nectar instead

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »
I don't understand how Grapefruit is considered a good fruit. I mean the 1st second of biting into it it's a bliss, then comes that awful bitterness SMACK in your face. Your smile disappears, your hope vanishes, your dreams fade away and light turns to shadows. Hello darkness my old friend.

Hilarious.  My neighbor has 10 acres of grapefruit trees.  The other neighbors make fun of that guy.
Brad Spaugh

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
hate: canistel=egg fruit, brown sugar sapote , surname cherry,plum

love: durian, mangosteen, mango,annona,guava,lychee,longan,june plum,too many to name

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »
Tomatoes, they're put into everything and they taste aweful. I guess commercial varieties aren't too bad because they're so bland and tastless but I can't stand homegrown, the flavorful tomatoey taste explosion is too much for me.

Wow. First person I ever heard prefer store tomato to homegrown. Give me a ripe Cherokee purple or a brandywine and I’ll just slice it in half put some coarse sea salt on it and...well that’s just a little peace of heaven my friend.

My contribution to the thread is store bought stone fruit. Tart rocks imo

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »
Blech. I do not like the Japanese persimmon. It is very astringent, and resinous, and disgusting, tasting like rotten vomit.
Surely that must be an exaggeration.
The Fuyu variety is a lot less astringent than the Hachiya, which is really more appropriate for drying out and preserving.
You must have had an astringent persimmon that was way overripe (blotting).

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
This thread should die!!!
Too many inexperienced with ,how ,when what to do with fruits

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2019, 12:12:24 PM »
NONI - because I don't know how to use or sell it
- Marley

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
My wife's friend was visiting and wanted to try a Surinam cherry. We have a ton of them and they are the awful kind that make you kind of angry when you bite into one. Before I could warn her and tell her to take only a little nibble, she popped the entire thing in her mouth and went to chewing. I waited for her disgust, but it never came. She actually liked it, and wanted more. I was speechless. Thought she was messing with me at first.

She's getting noni next time! That's the nastiest fruit I've almost tried, as cannot get past the smell to actually taste test it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
Noni was brought to Hawaii in ancient canoe voyages by polynesians. But they brought it for its medicinal properties, and i think also used as a dye. The fruit was not eaten, except as survival food in dire circumstances. And as far as i can tell they did not use the fruit either for medicinal purposes, but all the rest of the plant was used. Just the opposite of now, when the fruit is touted for it's miraculous medical powers, and note of the rest of the plant is used.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2019, 02:39:13 AM »
yea looking back at when i started this thread, i've changed quite a bit, i like surinam cherries now for sure, i used to hate them....and still don't enjoy the resin flavor, but some just taste better than others (have less offensive resin)....they are so easy to grow, i have them grafted, and planted all over my farm

My wife's friend was visiting and wanted to try a Surinam cherry. We have a ton of them and they are the awful kind that make you kind of angry when you bite into one. Before I could warn her and tell her to take only a little nibble, she popped the entire thing in her mouth and went to chewing. I waited for her disgust, but it never came. She actually liked it, and wanted more. I was speechless. Thought she was messing with me at first.

She's getting noni next time! That's the nastiest fruit I've almost tried, as cannot get past the smell to actually taste test it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk