Author Topic: In the market for atemoya -at Rusty's that is  (Read 2380 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
In the market for atemoya -at Rusty's that is
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:20:24 AM »
I have been testing the camera on my new phone as I have been surviving without a mobile (cell) forever or maybe even longer.While strolling around Rusty's Market in Cairns today I thought I would take a few snaps of atemoya as Thera and others have shown an interest. As winter started today fruit availability is troughing and times are lean.

I see some pinks mammoths which are all around 1 to 2kg so I guess the whoppers have been taken out.

A mammoth derivative,maybe Hillary white.

The large variety I cut open last week.

They are everywhere.

With plenty of rollinia and soursop around also.

Sam ru du is the only mango in winter in the market

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: In the market for atemoya -at Rusty's that is
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:43:45 AM »
Looking good Mike :) dropped by my local to pick some up after work today and they were out. Hope they get some more in.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 06:35:07 AM »
There are plenty around at the moment and I know they are pretty common throughout Winter. At the moment the supermarkets and fruit markets are stocking them and they seem pretty mainstream.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
Mouth watering photos, Mike, thank you!
I thought HW is to supposed to be a better looking fruit than shown here which tends more toward a PM look.
And the Rollinia, is that what is aka the Sputnik variety? The last seedling from your seeds went back to Australia Heaven, but not before I took a couple of buds and grafted them on a local tree. I am hopeful as the bud grafts were cleanly done, for once. :)  Otherwise, any seeds you throw away, throw them my way please!
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
Thera I think the atemoya at the local market are the runts and marked ones with the perfect and clean looking fruit going south to the bigger cities. The mangoes and other locally grown commercial fruit usually have the seconds going to these markets also. The Rollinia is neither the sputnik or smooth styles but somewhere in the spectrum between the extremes. The commercially one ones are better selections for favoured traits like productivity and market appeal.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

I was looking for more glamorous tropical fruits but the market was dominated by melons, bananas, pineapples, passionfruit and other pretty standard stuff.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »

I was looking for more glamorous tropical fruits but the market was dominated by melons, bananas, pineapples, passionfruit and other pretty standard stuff.

I have seen these Australian melons around here, but never seen pinks mammoths or Rollinia  :'(.
Moh'd

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »
Hey Mike congrats on your new cell phone! Now you can take instant pics, the only other guy I know with out it, is Luc...
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 07:00:26 PM »
I am sure the melons are everywhere and from left to right they are:
White skinned honeydew
Mango Melon
Rock Melon (cantaloupe)
Toad Skin Melon.
 I am not sure if any signs were visible in the previous shots but the translation goes like this - Paw paw is papaya and custard apple is atemoya (bullocks heart is A,reticulata). While we are on the topic some nameless Australian states defer to European names for rock melons, zuchini, eggplant and all manner of produce. If I had have taken a few shots in the vegie area then the terms capsicum and chilli may have caused some confusion with a wider audience and the vegetables known as pumpkin and squash as well as marrow may have raised some international eyebrows.
And I digress.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »
Raul yes after being under the radar and off the grid somewhat, its straight into the 21st century for me, leapfrogging the 20th century. I may even lash out and post a few more fruit pics instead of just the odd one. Due to me 'dinosaur' ways I have been the subject of loose talk and accused of not being a 'happening dood' but that has all changed now.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
I am sure the melons are everywhere and from left to right they are:
White skinned honeydew
Mango Melon
Rock Melon (cantaloupe)
Toad Skin Melon.
 I am not sure if any signs were visible in the previous shots but the translation goes like this - Paw paw is papaya and custard apple is atemoya (bullocks heart is A,reticulata). While we are on the topic some nameless Australian states defer to European names for rock melons, zuchini, eggplant and all manner of produce. If I had have taken a few shots in the vegie area then the terms capsicum and chilli may have caused some confusion with a wider audience and the vegetables known as pumpkin and squash as well as marrow may have raised some international eyebrows.
And I digress.

We get so many types of vegetables and fruits from Australia. Probably, the number one seller is Australian orange sweet potato because I see many people carry it.

Thanks for pictures
Moh'd