Author Topic: Dying Wax Jambu Apple Tree  (Read 3432 times)

Sayan128

• Chino hills California, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Dying Wax Jambu Apple Tree
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »
Hi everyone! I live in SoCal and have heard of people here successfully growing wax apple trees. I planted one 10 days ago but now the leaves are turning a weird brown red color from the middle of the leaves first. I know these trees aren't supposed to get a ton of water. We unfortunately have clay type soil but our gardener told us to water it everyday for the first week. I now backed off to watering every 3 days. The leaves don't feel dry... you guys think this is an overwatering issue?? I'm so sad! I was so so excited about the possibility of growing wax apples. I haven't had them in years!'

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Dying Wax Jambu Apple Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:15 PM »
It almost seems like some sort of rot. I'm not an expert on wax jambu but could you put a shade cloth over it and cut back on the water?
Don't let the soil dry completely out and become parched though (I mean the soil 6 inches down). For now, make sure it's not wet but try to keep it slightly moist, like a heap of compost.
In fact, soil is a really important thing, as it relates to water retention, and if the soil it's planted in is really bad, you should consider pulling the plant out (carefully, trying not to damage the fine root structure) and filling the area with better soil, loamy dark compost. The mulch you have over the top of the soil is good, helps prevent the soil below from drying out.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »
I agree with SoCal, give it some shade and a bit of extra water.  To me that looks like sunburn.  The plant may not have been acclimated to growing in hot full sun yet.  I usually keep plants that are not accustomed to full sun under shade cloth for at least 2-4 weeks for them to get acclimated to full sun.  My wax jambu are still in part shade and I won't probably give them full sun till early fall when they get a bit larger and temperatures are not so hot.
Bob

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:11:34 AM »
Sunburn not rot

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
This is my wax jambu 2nd year.. so keep working at it.. i think you just planted at the wrong time.. it was getting hit for about a week.. i learned that too last time.. we had the 104s in October a few years ago and half my new trees got burned..

Today or tomorrow is good to plant.. a bit cooler..

And who gets 104 and higher in October? I figured October would be good enough..

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 12:57:22 AM »
Sunburn. I keep mine well watered and moist at all times. Also, I've seen huge specimens in southern Vietnam and its very wet there. Put some shade over it and keep it watered until it acclimates to your yard. Good luck, Chris
-Chris

Sayan128

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
Thank you so much everyone!!! I will go work on making her some shade today. It was my first time posting here. Thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply!! Hope we will save our little tree :)

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
This is my wax jambu 2nd year.. so keep working at it.. i think you just planted at the wrong time.. it was getting hit for about a week.. i learned that too last time.. we had the 104s in October a few years ago and half my new trees got burned..

Today or tomorrow is good to plant.. a bit cooler..

And who gets 104 and higher in October? I figured October would be good enough..

Hey Michsu, that looks like your variegated Wax Jambu that you planted a couple of years ago.  It looks good!  What are the fruit suppose to be like (color, size, sweetness)?  October use to be a great time to plant in soCal, it would just start to cool off.  Now we can have some of our hottest temperatures in early October.  Yikes!
Bob

Sayan128

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
Guys! I didn't kill it!! For the first time in 2 months I see new growth from my Jambu wax apple tree! I'm so so excited! Not quite as exciting as fruit but I really was hoping to keep this little one alive and growing :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk