Author Topic: Mango grafting question  (Read 4698 times)

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
Mango grafting question
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ MAY CAUSE SARCASM, UNCONTROLLABLE URGES TO BE RUDE AND IS A TOTAL NOOB QUESTION. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. 

I just grafted 4 manila mangos with sweet tart and lemon zest 2 DAYS ago here in southern California. I know it's late but our weather forecast predicts 78 as the LOWEST night time temperature for the next 2 weeks so I decided to give it a  shot since this has been  our warmest night temperatures THIS YEAR and should be favorable to grafting.  When I graft I cover it with aluminum foil, but I read that shone cover with paper bags.

I've had success with aluminum on citrus.  What do you ladies and gentlemen use to cover grafts on an in ground tree?

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango grafting question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
I made covers using shade cloths to provide shade and airflow

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:36:04 PM »
Lacking shade cloth, I use a piece of paper and make  a "bag" using few staples and  small holes on the side...
Sam

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:55:10 AM »
I have had good luck with aluminum foil.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
I use plain paper or brown bags when I have it. I poke  holes in the paper to allow for air circulation. Be careful that your graft union is wrapped securely because wind blowing on the shade paper can but pressure on the scion and potentially dislodge the union.

We are at the beginning of a heat wave so shade will be beneficial for new grafts. If the new grafts are on smaller trees, you can move a potted plant next to the grafts in order to provide shade.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »
in current weather you need nothing, no covers, simply a good wood clean cut wrapped with buddy tape and watch the takes. I have never used covers, not even in winter grafting. Use of foil in current temps could mean death sentence to wood, temps there could rise dramatically.

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
It's over 100 degrees here for the next 2 weeks and its scorching my trees. Do u leave your grafts uncovered in this heat? I'd like mine uncovered so I don't have to acclimate it to the sun.

in current weather you need nothing, no covers, simply a good wood clean cut wrapped with buddy tape and watch the takes. I have never used covers, not even in winter grafting. Use of foil in current temps could mean death sentence to wood, temps there could rise dramatically.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
if you grafted to in ground tree you should not cover it at all, you guarantee 100% frying the wood in these 100 degree temps. If its in a pot, move it to shaded area. I have never covered grafts and professionals will tell you the same. If you use buddy tape, covering does nothing as buddy tape seals moisture damn well and you dont need any additional moisture. What pushes the graft is heat that causes sap to flow from rootstock and then the scionwood.

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »
Thx Behl, I'll remove it when I get home.

if you grafted to in ground tree you should not cover it at all, you guarantee 100% frying the wood in these 100 degree temps. If its in a pot, move it to shaded area. I have never covered grafts and professionals will tell you the same. If you use buddy tape, covering does nothing as buddy tape seals moisture damn well and you dont need any additional moisture. What pushes the graft is heat that causes sap to flow from rootstock and then the scionwood.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »
I don't think it's late now to graft. If it takes now then it has at least 6 months before flowering season. I learned that my grafts during later October would die after it flowered in Feb or March. Only after harvest fruits that my trees will send out new shoots for any grafting.

I don't use parafilm tape (have not tried it before); I just cut 1/2" strips of plastic bag to wrap the union, then cover the scion/union with plastic tube (cut plastic sheet and stapled) to keep it from dry out, then another white paper tube (normal schooling paper and stapled) to protect from direct hot sun. It works for me.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
  What do you ladies and gentlemen use to cover grafts on an in ground tree?

Just wanted to share of what happened to my 2 grafted venus manggo scions about a month ago; they both pushed new leaves like normal, but I didn't have paper bag coverings on them  like I normally would.

Then a hot day or two came and fried those two young leave buds to crispy brown, so I covered them right away, but it was too late, few days later both scions dried up, unable to recover... :(
Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 12:57:40 PM »
normally frying of new growth from push does not kill the scion as union, what kills the scion is if union was not healed and scion pushed with residual energy and later dried out. it happens a lot. I have not lost any takes due to frying of growth. If you remove the dead scion, you will see that failure was at the union,

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
Resurrecting this topic in order to keep info that is very related in one thread so that posterity can find the answer in one thread instead of having to search through multiple.

What is the absolute max temperature that will be beneficial to grafting?

Im asking because my area is in the midst of a heat wave 119F, 104F,101F, 98F (in the 90s for the near future).

Would grafting in 119F be advisable? 100F? 95F? 90F? 85?

What minimum night time temperature is best? Thanks.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
HAHAHAHA I love it!

WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ MAY CAUSE SARCASM, UNCONTROLLABLE URGES TO BE RUDE AND IS A TOTAL NOOB QUESTION. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. 
Jeff  :-)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
Resurrecting this topic in order to keep info that is very related in one thread so that posterity can find the answer in one thread instead of having to search through multiple.

What is the absolute max temperature that will be beneficial to grafting?

Im asking because my area is in the midst of a heat wave 119F, 104F,101F, 98F (in the 90s for the near future).

Would grafting in 119F be advisable? 100F? 95F? 90F? 85?

What minimum night time temperature is best? Thanks.

I've had the best grafting success when temps are less than 95F during the day and above 65F at night.  Higher humidity in August and early September also help.  This year, grafting in mid May thru June were excellent.  But yesterday was another story.  Generally not good to graft above 100F, even with shade protection.
Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
I completely agree with wslau. As long as the nightly average lows are above 62F, you shouldn’t have to worry about flowering on the new push. I like to protect newly grafted scions from direct sun if temps are predicted to be above 90F. The first couple weeks are extremely critical and the scion/graft Union has to be protected. Direct sun on the union can cause evaporation even under the buddy tape/parafilm and condensation can cause mold or rot.

Simon

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 03:25:54 PM »
I completely agree with wslau. As long as the nightly average lows are above 62F, you shouldn’t have to worry about flowering on the new push. I like to protect newly grafted scions from direct sun if temps are predicted to be above 90F. The first couple weeks are extremely critical and the scion/graft Union has to be protected. Direct sun on the union can cause evaporation even under the buddy tape/parafilm and condensation can cause mold or rot.

Simon

Would wrapping the graft union in white poly tape enough protection?

For regular decidous grafts i usually do full parafilm wrap of union and scion. Then wrap the union in white poly budding tape.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »
(Shade) Protection would involve putting a paper bag over the graft.  I cut small air holes at the top of the bag, but am unsure if the vent holes are really needed.

I'm not sure if white poly tape would do the same, but white definitely reflects light better than other colors.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:02:57 PM by wslau »
Warren

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 10:11:30 PM »
It is also important to keep the tree well watered, as topwork grafts can be killed by the slightest drought stress on the tree.
Har

spoons

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »
Since everyone is getting scions for mangos, how do you all feel about our current SoCal lows for grafting?

Looks like we are in the 57-59 degree range during the night.  I know most of my seedlings are either swelling or pushing new flushes the last couple weeks so at least i know the juices are flowing.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »
Since everyone is getting scions for mangos, how do you all feel about our current SoCal lows for grafting?

Looks like we are in the 57-59 degree range during the night.  I know most of my seedlings are either swelling or pushing new flushes the last couple weeks so at least i know the juices are flowing.

I am taking a risk and grafted 7 scions 2 days ago. We hit lows of 51F this morning. I covered buddy taped scions with zip lock bags individually. I don't have a greenhouse and rootstoks are out in the open. I will know in a couple of weeks.

spoons

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
Was your rootstock active before you grafted the scion?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »

Yeah, they were pushing new buds. I grafted on 5 gallon rootstocks sold as corrinete by maddock. Strongest rootstocks I have seen, doesn't need stakes like manila or turpentine.

spoons

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 02:31:06 PM »

Yeah, they were pushing new buds. I grafted on 5 gallon rootstocks sold as corrinete by maddock. Strongest rootstocks I have seen, doesn't need stakes like manila or turpentine.

Nice!  Finger crossed for you.  I’m anticipating to graft a bunch i the next few days.