Author Topic: Harris variegated minneola tangelo update  (Read 2207 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Harris variegated minneola tangelo update
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
In another post somebody commented that the my variegated minneola looked like a type that would not produce the desired red-striped fruit, as the foliage is green/light-green instead of green/light-green/white.   My small tree produced three fruits, and none show any red striping.  I don't see any white on the new growth, either.  I suspect it will always be this way so I will dig it up and replace it with the green/light-green/white one that I still have in a container.  Harris sent me two because the first one arrived with heavy shipping damage the second was a replacement.  The first one recovered though so I ended up with two healthy trees, one of each type.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Harris variegated minneola tangelo update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
Brian, was it me? I found out that there are two types of variegated Minneola a few years ago. I guess the one with two tone leaves (green-yellow) is a sport from the three tone (white-yellow-green) one. I saw the 15 gallon trees for sale in our HD and Lowe's 3 years ago and I thought it was odd. The new grows was variegated green-yellow and the fruits looked like a regular Minneola. I was looking for one in 3 gallon for awhile and couldn't find it neither the info online. Last year one of my trees grew the sport and I saw the thread on the other forum about the Harri's trees with the pictures. So, apparently I was the only one who saw this trees in production with different looking fruits and warned people. I also saw the picture you posted. The sport limb produced the fruit and I have the different looking fruits on my tree, so I will call it a Cocktail Minneola tree. )) However, the fruit without stripes doesn't look like the one on your picture. It doesn't have the 'neck' and is bigger in size.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 11:30:09 PM »
Ah yes I think it was you that described this to me.  My fruit are undersized because the tree was a bit shocked recently.  I’m sure it will produce normal sized fruit in time.  My experience is that all minneolas usually have a neck but it seems a bit random per fruit rather than all same from one tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
 Minneolas at the supermarket are mostly necked fruit, however there are also always some minneolas that have no neck.   

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »
No neck on mine this year.