Author Topic: Stones in Avocado Pulp  (Read 4460 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Stones in Avocado Pulp
« on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
My friend has a Choquette avocado tree.  The fruit can be quite good.  On the other hand,  a lot of the fruit has "stones" in the flesh to the point that his wife is making him remove the tree and replace it with another variety. :'(  What causes this problem, and what is the remedy?
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Stones in Avocado Pulp
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
John I'm not familiar with this issue. I have never experience it in my grove. That said, I never heard of anyone mentioning that problem in Florida. I would venture to say is related to your soil. I was wondering how is the irrigation water quality in your island? Have you check the salt content?  Calcium etc?  Irrigation water can do crazy things. 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
I had this problem with literally one avocado off my Russell tree. How long that this tree had this problem? 
- David Antonio Garcia

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
Last fall's crop, which was a bumper crop, had this problem very bad.  Previous years were not nearly so bad.  His tree is not in the best location--between 2 houses--and his soil is very poor (crushed rock) builder's fill.  Also I think he's not too meticulous about feeding his trees.  So I guess logically it must be a nutrition issue with the tree.
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
Last fall's crop, which was a bumper crop, had this problem very bad.  Previous years were not nearly so bad.  His tree is not in the best location--between 2 houses--and his soil is very poor (crushed rock) builder's fill.  Also I think he's not too meticulous about feeding his trees.  So I guess logically it must be a nutrition issue with the tree.

I think that's the problem right there. Between two houses where there is most rock and lack of feeding, so the combo might be leading to undesirable fruits.
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »

I think that's the problem right there. Between two houses where there is most rock and lack of feeding, so the combo might be leading to undesirable fruits.
I have trouble believing this as MANY a homeowner has avocado trees growing in their yard and would also bet that the majority of them have done nothing to their soil (or even thought they would have to do anything to their soil)...considering most homes yards are filled with builder crap and rock/limestone pieces, I have never heard of grit/"stone pieces" in any homeowner's avocados.  I think the issue may lie elsewhere...
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
It sounds like it may be Sclerocarpelosis:

http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_65_1981/CAS_1981_PG_125-132.pdf

Thanks for locating that article, m.  Sure sounds like the problem.  I guess replacing the tree is a good course of action.
John