Author Topic: So. California Group Scion Order from Oscar - CANCELED  (Read 24641 times)

othater

• Socal
    • View Profile
Re: So. California Group Scion Order from Oscar - CANCELED
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
minimum 2x per variety 16 goes right there.

we should split per variety with 2 people, i don't need a spare scion. Anyone interested?

I can split some avocado scions with you.  Planning on getting Murashige and Kahaluu?

yes sir. That's what we should have done split orders among two people.  ;)

I would split too but the two I want are the same as reality and yourself. Murashige and Kahaluu.
I guess if another member is looking for the same I can split.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »
Some suggestions:
A large percentage of total costs is in shipping and ag inspection. If you can increase total number of scions then cost for everyone per scion goes down. You could also considering opting out of express mail, which is expensive and was included in the last estimate. You will probably get the package in 3 days rather than 2, but should still be fine. Personally i don't see why anyone would want to get just one scion of each? That means you need to have 100% success rate to get a take. If you get 2 scions of each at least you have a 50-50 chance of a take.
Oscar

desimango

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
I agree a single scion will likely spell doom unless in the hands of a master grafter. 

intel415

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
I agree a single scion will likely spell doom unless in the hands of a master grafter.

avocados are easy to graft need not to be a master grafter. If you don't know how to do it, check out carlos videos on youtube, it helped me a lot, im new to grafting, and my grafts all took :)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »

avocados are easy to graft need not to be a master grafter. If you don't know how to do it, check out carlos videos on youtube, it helped me a lot, im new to grafting, and my grafts all took :)

The conditions of a scion from far away is different from what we get locally. It'll be trying to get acclimated to the dryness as well as trying to heal.

I agree avocados are not difficult. Only 2 of 3 failed for me after some bamboo trellis fell on them.

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: So. California Group Scion Order from Oscar
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2013, 05:41:56 AM »
Sorry, I'm afraid i can't afford 50 for 6 scions, 30 was reasonable. Anyways i rather go buy a 15 gallon cado 50 dollars.

With a single "cado" for 50.00 you only get 1 variety. With the scions you will get different varieties and not have to buy several trees which would cost way more. : )

intel415

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »
Sorry, I'm afraid i can't afford 50 for 6 scions, 30 was reasonable. Anyways i rather go buy a 15 gallon cado 50 dollars.

With a single "cado" for 50.00 you only get 1 variety. With the scions you will get different varieties and not have to buy several trees which would cost way more. : )

Dude, I'm willing to spend a lot on buying different trees especially 15s or above couple of hundreds not a problem for me because i think it gives a better return, money well spent there. 
 I agree with you you get different 3 varieties rather then 1, but tell me how long it takes to reach to a 15 gallon or just a regular 5gs that sell in local nurseries. Assume all of your varieties take, will they survive? and not including you have to take care of the grafts, water properly etc... can you guarantee you will get a lot of fruits from newly grafted scions compare to a 5/15 gallons? Compare all of these to a well established trees that will give you a lot of fruits in no time. 50 dollars for scions i think its not a smart choice, i rather spend it wisely. I regret i bought 5 gallons avocados i should pull the trigger on 15s or above. Now at least 2 more years i have to wait for my 5gs to get me a reasonable fruits production.

Maybe you can spend couple of hundred on all of the varieties and resale $5 per scions to us? i'm more then will buy it if 6 each (extra dollar for you) and i will pay for shipping too.  This is exactly what i wanted to do ids to split orders with someone to reduce cost for same scions. Let me know if you willing to do that. Thanks. 

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

Dude, I'm willing to spend a lot on buying different trees especially 15s or above couple of hundreds not a problem for me because i think it gives a better return, money well spent there. 
 I agree with you you get different 3 varieties rather then 1, but tell me how long it takes to reach to a 15 gallon or just a regular 5gs that sell in local nurseries. Assume all of your varieties take, will they survive? and not including you have to take care of the grafts, water properly etc... can you guarantee you will get a lot of fruits from newly grafted scions compare to a 5/15 gallons? Compare all of these to a well established trees that will give you a lot of fruits in no time. 50 dollars for scions i think its not a smart choice, i rather spend it wisely. I regret i bought 5 gallons avocados i should pull the trigger on 15s or above. Now at least 2 more years i have to wait for my 5gs to get me a reasonable fruits production.

Maybe you can spend couple of hundred on all of the varieties and resale $5 per scions to us? i'm more then will buy it if 6 each (extra dollar for you) and i will pay for shipping too.  This is exactly what i wanted to do ids to split orders with someone to reduce cost for same scions. Let me know if you willing to do that. Thanks.

Folks chose to graft to improve their inferior fruiting tree to a more productive tree of their choice. there should be no debate over what's cheaper and what's worth it. try and argue with someone who has a 15 x 20 yard that he should plant 5 mango trees to get 5 varities, not possible, but he can have a 5-in-1 and enjoy all of them and leave room for another fruit kind. expensive in ones eyes and ears could mean opportunity for another. so lets not debate this issue. There are people who trade scions at no charge on this board while there are folks who do this for living. So lets respect all opinions.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »

Folks chose to graft to improve their inferior fruiting tree to a more productive tree of their choice. there should be no debate over what's cheaper and what's worth it. try and argue with someone who has a 15 x 20 yard that he should plant 5 mango trees to get 5 varities, not possible, but he can have a 5-in-1 and enjoy all of them and leave room for another fruit kind. expensive in ones eyes and ears could mean opportunity for another. so lets not debate this issue. There are people who trade scions at no charge on this board while there are folks who do this for living. So lets respect all opinions.

Agree....and people should have a more little respect for their fellow members and address them by their screen name not as DUDE.