Author Topic: The Magic Begins - First Mango of the Season (with a bonus sapodilla)  (Read 1203 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
The best time of the year - mango season has arrived! (yes, I know Squam has been harvesting 10,000/lbs a days since January 1).

First (legit) mango of the year is this Angie that was coloring up on the tree and ripened for a couple days in the garage. Delicious as it was on the tart side and not the fully ripe, vomit in your mouth Carrie-stage.

And a bonus big boy Hasya sapodilla which I had no idea was ripe but fell from the tree today in fully-ripe stage. Thankfully it was in a clamshell so the critters didn't get to it. Pure bliss.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Congrats!
My mango season started at the end of April (officially)   ;)
Zone Pusher

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
I am jealous, my mangoes are barely pea sized, but congrats and enjoy.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
nice mango but I'm more interested in your Hasya. How's the tree growth/yield like? How's it compare to Alano/Molix/Morena?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
nice mango but I'm more interested in your Hasya. How's the tree growth/yield like? How's it compare to Alano/Molix/Morena?

Not nearly as productive as the Alano or Morena. Bigger fruit. Great taste. My tree took 5 years to bear its first fruit. This year, it has four fruits on it.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile

First (legit) mango of the year is this Angie that was coloring up on the tree and ripened for a couple days in the garage. Delicious as it was on the tart side and not the fully ripe, vomit in your mouth Carrie-stage.

And a bonus big boy Hasya sapodilla which I had no idea was ripe but fell from the tree today in fully-ripe stage. Thankfully it was in a clamshell so the critters didn't get to it. Pure bliss.
Congratulations,
I've had a few Glen and Florigon. I've also had a lot of drops that were close to ripe and left under trees have appeared to have ripened but were usually deficient of sweetness as the other sour/citrus/etc. seem to enter the fruit earlier than the sweetness.

I don't think I could eat one of my delicious sweet sapodilla with my beginning of the year mangos. It's no way my start of the season mangos would taste sweet after eating any of the sapodilla in my yard.

In my yard, I would probably prefer to eat a lemon before my Glen mangos to increase the chance that I might like the beginning of the year Glens. The sweetness has not been in any of the drops or my one tree ripened Glen but I am hopeful that the sweetness will be in the Glens in the coming days.

Oh well, my Florigon has tasted ok with some sweetness/citrus but that's only when I eat the skin to add the citrus flavor to the mango flesh but I do not like it without eating the skin with the flesh. (I am not allergic to peanuts or any part of the mango tree's fruit). Glen on the other hand has IMO a very bitter skin and I never eat it's skin.