Author Topic: WTB: Strawberry Tree Muntingia calabura in Southern California  (Read 3167 times)

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I am looking to buy a strawberry tree in Southern California. Otherwise known as Muntingia calabura or Jamaican Cherry Tree. I would prefer a more established tree if possible. Please let me know if you have one or know where I can find one.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: Strawberry Tree Muntingia calabura in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »
I'm sprouting seeds from a wild tree growing near me. It's pink instead of red, but it tastes the same. I could grow them out and send when they're bigger, if you're interested.

Pics of the mother tree and seedlings:

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 07:55:16 PM »
Im game. Any problem shipping to CA?

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
No issues on my end, and I'm not aware of this species having any poor standing in the California legal system. I have sent Artocarpus there, so I think it shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep you updated on their growth.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »
-Kris

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 11:01:38 PM »
I'm with zephian, it'd probably be cheaper to go for the seeds. But if you still want plants, they're definitely growing well enough, if a bit slow. I had added more seeds, and now the little jiffy pellets have little carpets of green.

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »
How long do they take to fruit from seed? And do they grow true to parent from seed?

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 11:10:05 PM »
How long do they take to fruit from seed? And do they grow true to parent from seed?

I don't know how true they grow, but I'm not aware of any variability in the species, other than fruit pigmentation. With proper care, they might fruit in under a year. Fast grower past the seedling stage (I'm already seeing a few looking taller than the rest, the earliest seeds I planted).

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »
I ended up purchasing one from Logees. It's growing well.
I did not have much luck with seeds. They would sprout, then die off.
-Kris

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
Hi guys. Please excuse my delay, I was hoping to get the chance to acquire more seeds, but seeing as both of you have trees now, that's a moot point I guess. But I figured I owed an explanation for my absence.

I got sick with a nasty bug immediately prior to traveling, and didn't have enough time to leave the plants well cared for. The Muntingia didn't make it. When I went to get more seeds after getting back, the neighbors had cut down the tree. I've been looking for another accessible tree ever since. The original has grown back, but hasn't flowered yet. I was hoping to have another batch of seedlings growing before posting here. For anyone else who messaged me looking for seedlings, I'm still waiting for the tree to flower again, or for another one to show up, but I'll keep you posted when it happens.

Again, sorry for not keeping in touch.