Author Topic: Best tasting mangos of 2018  (Read 46860 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mangos of 2018
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
I had my first ever peach cobblers from my tree. All I can say is that it is named correctly as it had the strongest peach flavor I’ve ever had in a mango.

I brought some juicy peaches (and others) to Illinois with me and the people I shared them with were blown away by how good it was.  Their farm xperience is mostly Tommy’s from the supermarket. But I agree the JP was fantastic.

Paul, that does not sound good...Peach Cobbler does not have a peach taste.  It is zingy citrus in flavor, most reminicent of candied tangerine (like the old fashioned tangerine Life Saver).

Sulcata Grove family says it "smells like baked peach cobbler & tastes like peach with hints of coconut".   

"Me thinks your taste buds have an issue.. need a re-calibration..."..................... 8) 8) 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVWr9-jSNhI
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »
I just got open this Orange Sherbet and it tasted a bit watered down. The Fruit had a good texture and was juicy but the juice was not syrupy sweet like Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart or Piña Colada. It had a Brix of 18% and only portions of the fruit had a citrusy taste. The portions of the fruit with a citrusy taste were also much sweeter than the other parts of the Fruit. Fruit can vary from year to year and I believe this is just s bad year for this variety.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2018, 11:13:43 PM »
You musta had a dud my OS have range ,w my MA871 refractometer, from 19-27 top mango of the season so far

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »
Frank, you must have gotten Fruit from a well managed tree. We’ve sampled a few fruit this year a few weeks apart and they were not in their prime. I have to be patient and wait for a good year to sample the Orange Sherbet but my sampling’s this year at least show that the Fruit can be inconsistent.

I currently rank the trinity in this order: Lemon Zest>Po Pyu Kalay>Orange Sherbet

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2018, 12:44:23 AM »
Since u guys are talking about OS, what is the parent of OS is it ppk or LZ???

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2018, 12:52:54 AM »
Yah, 18 degrees of brix is pretty low for an OS this late in the season. Should be well into the 20's.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2018, 06:40:26 AM »

PPK is the parent.
- Rob

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »

PPK is the parent.

That what I thought and had written down too.
Then the picture was provided.
How could Zills HPP make such a mistake on their own catalog?
Warren

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »

PPK is the parent.

That what I thought and had written down too.
Then the picture was provided.
How could Zills HPP make such a mistake on their own catalog?

Simple answer?  Because they meant to write "Lemon Meringue," not "Lemon Zest!"
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
There are a number of mistakes/typos on their list.  Has been for years.  Understand, it is a list for wholesale purposes and its being scrutinized based on retail...

Should say "sister" and not daughter.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
There are a number of mistakes/typos on their list.  Has been for years.  Understand, it is a list for wholesale purposes and its being scrutinized based on retail...

Should say "sister" and not daughter.
That works, too!
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
I just cut open this Juliette and it had a nice yellowish orange flesh. When I cut it open, it smelled a bit like a Julie but had just a hint of Indian resin note in there as well. The flesh had slightly less fiber than Julie and did taste a bit like Julie. The flesh was sweet with a Brix of 24%.

This fruit had a fantastic flavor that I really liked. There was a slightly over ripe portion that tasted a bit vegetably in the same manner that Mallika sometimes gets. A great overall Mango. Pictures with and without flash.

Simon

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
Picked my last mango today, a honey kiss

Been a great year with some very good mango

10. Fruit cocktail  Zills

9  Orange Sherbet. Campbelll

8 Phoenix  mine

7 Guava   Mine

6 Ceci Love. Campbell

5 0-2 mine

4 coconut cream   Zills 

3 sweet tart     Mine

2 E-4. Zills

1 Lemon Zest  Mine

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
My IMO review and many things changed from year to year even some grown in my yard; I only went to two other places for a few of these. I will wait on some new varieties to grow.

Rosigold dropped from very good to below average taste and also poor disease resistance/fungus on fruit etc. in my location. Another disappointment is Sweet Tart in my yard for the second year in a row and varying ripening stages etc. I have found it (ST) to be worse than large Keitt in getting a consistent ripe fruit. It tends to hold more fungus on the fruit than Keitt also at my location and the splitting from the sun is worse than with Keitt in my location. Finally, the taste IMO has been extreme but extreme is not always desirable and unfortunately not for me yet. I do like salt and pepper on food but I do not like to eat only salt or only pepper and the same for the Sweet Tart mango so far. Hopefully, my opinion will change with next years crop as I found out with Madem Francis & Carrie developing a taste and the tree becoming more established and sweeter over the years.

Having mangos of varying taste profiles like tropical vs. lemony vs. lime vs. orange vs citrus vs. tart vs. sour etc. is great to create your own mango event eating your favorite flavor & then supplementing it with one of the other tasting profiles. This is why I consider many like philippean, for a lemony taste, okrung with eating skin to get a lime taste, orange sherbet for a orange taste, Florigon eating skin also for a citrus taste, as good as any other to eat with your favorite mango meal.

IMO Excellant: Carrie

IMO Very good: Keitt, Maha Chanok, Edward, Kent, Fruit Punch, Mallika (wife considers this her #1),

IMO Very good for flavors to supplement your main mango meal: philippean, duncan (for me this can also be a main meal), orange sherbet, okrung, sweet tart,

IMO Good: Madem Francis, Valencia Pride, Glen, Florigon, Haden, Young aka Tebow,

IMO Average Gift Mango: Pickering, Tommy Atkins

IMO Below Average: Rosigold

I did not try to try more mangos as no reason, no need IMO as long as you have this much variety, these choices are good to play with the various taste buds. 
(Never eat mangos or mango skin if allergic to them.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:20:54 AM by palmcity »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
PALMCITY- Going along with your ratings of IMO Excellant: Carrie

my number one mango tree was Carrie. Great yield this year maybe 170 fruits.  It is in my front yard and excites all mango hounds including me. One guy liked it so much I could not believe it . He climbed the tree a bit and scoped out the last one that fell and was lodged between two branches. He is from Bangladesh.  My other major Carrie fans are from Egypt, Puerto Rico, Jamaica.

If you think your buyers will be from India/Pakistan/Bangladeshi Carrie is a must tree. Carrie has an established reputation within the sub-continent community in the US.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:01:25 PM by zands »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2018, 10:31:16 AM »
Kathy, buttter cream and honey kiss just missed my top ten

Very good season for me
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:38:42 AM by WGphil »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »

my number one mango tree was Carrie. Great yield this year maybe 170 fruits.  It is in my front yard and excites all mango hounds including me. One guy liked it so much I could not believe it . He climbed the tree a bit and scoped out the last one that fell and was lodged between two branches. He is from Bangladesh.  My other major Carrie fans are from Egypt, Puerto Rico, Jamaica.

If you think your buyers will be from India/Pakistan/Bangladeshi Carrie is a must tree. Carrie has an established reputation within the sub-continent community in the US.
Do you have Angie, too?  If so, do you find it to be similar to Carrie in flavor, as several forum members have stated?
John

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »
Had another top tier mango Parson( seedling of Juliette) very sweet and intense flavor consisting of coconut top 10. Here is my final list for 2018.

1. Señorita
2.E4
3.OS
4.creme brûlée
5. Piña
6. LZ
7. ST
8. Parson
9. M4
10. HK

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »

Do you have Angie, too?  If so, do you find it to be similar to Carrie in flavor, as several forum members have stated?

I don't have Angie tree. With all the rains my Carrie fruit were mild this year.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »

Gozp, can you post pics of the other sheets of mangoes from Zills? Would love to see those too! Thanks!

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
Top mangoes for me in 2018:
1. No big surprise - Lemon Zest
2. Carrie - so delicious and creamy. Liken it to eating cake - a true dessert mango!
3. Bailey's marvel
4. A neighbors seedling tree probably from Kent - A very fruity mango along the same lines as Bailey's marvel but with firmer flesh, more acid notes and more fruit flavor.
5. M-4 I got from zills - I thought it tasted a lot like coconut cream pie. Granted, I've not had coconut cream yet.
6. Orange Essence from zills - Great citrusy, fruity mango, again a Kent seedling.
7. Maha Chanok from Excalibur - I see now why everyone likes this one. Plenty of intoxicating aroma, and a smooth complex flavor that leaves you wanting more.
8. Sweet tart - powerful little mango with intense sweet and tart usually in the same fruit. I would eat this one last because it ruined the flavor of mangoes eaten after it. Pretty darned good though.
9. Honey Kiss from tropical acres farm - kind of one noted flavor, but a really good little mango. I would graft or plant one.
10. Graham - I had a few fruit this year that were really delicious.
11. Edward was very good as usual
12. Bombay was spicy sweet good too!

The rest this year were just blah or ho hum: PPK, Haden, Keitt, pickering, mallika, rosigold, florigon, fruit punch, madame francis, NDM

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »
As mango season approaches and end in SoCal I edit my top ten list once again

1. Señorita
2.ST
3.Zinc
4.E4
5.OS
6.Creme brûlée
7.LZ
8.Parson
9.M4
10.HK

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2018, 10:56:55 PM »
As mango season approaches and end in SoCal I edit my top ten list once again

I told you that "Señorita" was the best out of the hundred or so we tried last year.

1. Señorita
2.ST
3.Zinc
4.E4
5.OS
6.Creme brûlée
7.LZ
8.Parson
9.M4
10.HK

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »
Hey Mark
This year señorita went up against over 200 Florida mangos and come out on top.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »
Hey Mark
This year señorita went up against over 200 Florida mangos and come out on top.
Frank, I believe you said this Señorita mango is a variety that originated in Hispaniola (Haiti or D.R.).  How did it come to California?  Is anyone in Florida growing it?  What's the flavor profile?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:24:00 AM by johnb51 »
John