Author Topic: Langsat Questions  (Read 357 times)

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
Langsat Questions
« on: April 20, 2024, 06:50:36 PM »
I want to get a langsat plant (Lansium Parasiticum) but know that they can take up to 30+ years to fruit I heard this can be shortened by grafting which still takes awhile, air layering i heard that the trees don't live long with this method and double (or more, would more be even better?) rootstock. based on a few google searches i am thinking of growing a few from seed and grafting them together then purchasing a scion of a superior variety to get the fruit from.
-how would this method work and are there better methods?
-what is the best variety?
-when/where should i buy seeds?
-should i buy several different kinds of seeds so there is more disease resistance?
-does more rootstocks increase efficiency and/or fruit proficiency? (this might be a separate question)
-are they good potted plants?
-how do they handle pruning?
-are they worth it?

Thanks in advance! ;D

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: Langsat Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 08:13:01 PM »
Here is my experience, not that I know what I’m doing. I grow only in containers, and  I was able to get several seeds from fruit I ate to germinate. 2 years later they aren’t doing much. I think they had been too dry in the winter next to my citrus and mangos and they looked terrible. Now I have them in a more humid region of my gh that is usually around 75-80% rh year round. I think all the ultra tropicals are like this. My rambutan is flowering and my mangosteen is finally growing a bit.

I also water my ultra tropicals with “distilled water” from my dehumidifier mixed with dilute organic fertillizer with a ph 5.5-6.

Where should u get scions from?

Definitely has not been worth the effort but that’s not the point I guess

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 01:57:06 AM »
A rambutan marcot flowering is understandable when small but langsat or mangosteen through to fruiting in Canada would be a real achievement. I have been eating rambutan, langsat and mangosteen outa my yard today as a coincidence. By ultra you really mean equatorial and I am at 17 latitude and these species flourish.

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 07:22:17 AM »
Very jealous, do many people grow those in North Queensland?

What are the restrictions like for growing exotic species and importing seeds/scions/plants? I struggle here in Canada getting specialty cultivars of stone fruits due to strict import regulations. Here they are concerned (rightfully) of certain diseases, but don’t seem to care about invasive plants damaging ecosystems.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 07:59:03 AM »
Even in a greenhouse, getting germination will be tough.  Tougher still is getting the trees thru the first year.  Chances are 0 to slim.  Then you have to get the tree to a decent grafting size.  If you reach this far, grafting will be even more difficult in your location.  I'm not trying to discourage you, far from it.  Everyone knows I tried growing all kinds of stuff in my greenhouse, but it's tough. 

If the trees ever make it thru the first several years, you will probably be okay in a container, but I would prepare for putting them in-ground inside your greenhouse.  Even if a graft is successful, it's still an incredibly long haul until fruit.  Oscar at Fruitlovers.com will have seeds and scions as well.  Any langsat seed will probably do if planning on grafting.  For scions, go for Longkong.  I wouldn't worry about trying to diversify seed choices and such.  Just concentrate on keeping what you get alive.  I would purchase lots of seeds.

The fruit is very very good.  Worth the expense, effort, and heartache?  To be honest...no.  There are folks with better environments that can't keep a seedling alive for longer than six months or so.  We all want to push the zone and it can be exciting to try.  Hope for the best, but prepare yourself for disappointment. 

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 01:38:50 PM »
i had great germination of traditional langsat, lonkong, and duku from palologrower on here a few years ago-

100% vermiculite and regular watering+ night temps above 75 seemed to be the trick-

good fruit- way too hard of a plant to grow, all of mine died at 55f-

I think I sold a bunch for the fundraiser for Andreas on here so maybe there are some around that are at least a few years old

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 02:06:29 PM »
go travel and eat many kilos of them then you can make that decision later if you got 15-20 years to devote to getting one to fruit.I forget if it’s duku that don’t have much tartness , but I prefer langsat that have some tart to balance out the sweet. A good one will resemble a grapefruit flavored grape and they can be very addicting once ya start eating them. High in vit C too apparently
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 02:37:09 PM by ben mango »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 04:34:54 PM »
I had ordered some from Miami Fruit in 2023 and they tasted just like grapefruit. Hard pass for me. It was like $85 shipped or $115. I do not know where it was sourced from (most likely PR).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 05:28:58 PM »
Langsat can grow in FL. It's not 100% ultra tropical so my friends can grow it outside in 10b+.
Getting it to fruit is another story.
You won't be able to fruit it in your house lol.
I would suggest focusing on the ones that are easier to grow like mango etc.
Ultra tropicals in cold climates is a wasted dream for many.
Although if you want to try for fun, there's no harm in that.
I used to collect much artocarpus sp.
 :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 02:58:04 AM »
Langsat has more cold tolerance than longkong,duku or duku langsat. Paete and Utteraditt varieties might be worth a shot in Florida.

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:53:53 PM »
It sounds like it’s difficult but doable. Once the season rolls around (whenever that is) i might pick up some seeds or seedlings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk