Author Topic: The Ultimate Mango List!  (Read 46586 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Mango List!
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »
Would a "special notes" column be appropriate?   E.g. "harvest mature green for best flavor."

And a fruit quality column?   "Heroic" members of the forum could rate those varieties they have tasted, from one to 5 stars.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »
Would a "special notes" column be appropriate?   E.g. "harvest mature green for best flavor."

And a fruit quality column?   "Heroic" members of the forum could rate those varieties they have tasted, from one to 5 stars.

I am not sure if I want to add a quality column because peoples tastes are so different. I don't want one persons flavor profile controlling the list.

The notes column would be good because that is also where anyone could comment on how they would describe the flavor, avoiding a rating system.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »
What about a category for "where" successfully fruited ?

That category doesn't seem too important because with a greenhouse you could theoretically fruit them anywhere. It would me a more relevant category in the list of all fruit species but not this specific mango list.
I disagree...as fruiting in a greenhouse, basement, etc. would provide a different climate condition and environment where everything could be off, including season, taste, color, stc.  I think this list should be made up of outdoor fruiting trees as that is where most fruiting occurs and that is what most people will be wanting to know about.   say this cause as most people are growing them outdoors, it would be helpful to know that it may fruit in location x but not in location y; or it may be less disease resitant in location x than location y.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
I disagree...as fruiting in a greenhouse, basement, etc. would provide a different climate condition and environment where everything could be off, including season, taste, color, stc.  I think this list should be made up of outdoor fruiting trees as that is where most fruiting occurs and that is what most people will be wanting to know about.   say this cause as most people are growing them outdoors, it would be helpful to know that it may fruit in location x but not in location y; or it may be less disease resitant in location x than location y.

Eh... I disagree.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »

Eh... I disagree.
Then people may be relying on false information.  It would be very important to know that a person fruited it in New York indoors and Califirnia outdoors but was not successful in Florida (hypothetical).  I sure would be pissed if I wated time, space and money relying on what could be a very prominent database just to find out 5 years later that the info it it was skewed/not complete.  Just my 2 pennies...I know, I do not have to read it if I don't want to.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »
Then people may be relying on false information.  It would be very important to know that a person fruited it in New York indoors and Califirnia outdoors but was not successful in Florida (hypothetical).  I sure would be pissed if I wated time, space and money relying on what could be a very prominent database just to find out 5 years later that the info it it was skewed/not complete.  Just my 2 pennies...I know, I do not have to read it if I don't want to.

The problem with making an entire category for it is that it's unlikely that many mangos that will fruit in CA and indoors in NY will not fruit in FL. That is where the "Notes" category would come in. It would allow for people to make anecdotal notes on what they have noticed. Something like a mango not fruiting in FL would be perfect for the notes section.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »
My friend Mura... the mangolover  ;D

Very cool having such a database! Do you want pictures of the fruit or also of the plant?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Thank you guys for making this list!! I know it was a lot of work...We appreciate it  ;D
I will definitely get some use from this as will so many others.

Nancy

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
When our mango season rolls back around I will definitely add more info into the table.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »
Great idea.
I haven't written in a while, i have too little spare time right now.
Anyhow, i just wanted to add a suggestion. A more general way the predict mangos maturation time exists and it is the degree day method. You just need the degree-day for a given cultivar and you can foretell if something will ripen at your house or not, and, if it turns out that it will ripe, you can guess when it will ripe. You just need a climate table of your location with average temperature, and some very simple math.
It's pretty easy to build a degree day table for a given cultuvar (simply record the flowering date and the maturation date, do it for some years and do the calculation) but the best thing is that once you have the degree day for the given cultivar it is the same in Florida, California, Canary island, India, Italy, New York, Hawaii, giving everyone a rough idea on how long a cultivar takes before ripening in a given environment.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »
Ok, which of you listed Ataulfo as being monoembryonic?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 12:42:29 AM »
To anyone who is adding information. Please do not change information that is already in the list even if you disagree with it, without writing a note about the change in the notes section. Otherwise someone may come back and change it again.

Someone incorrectly changed the origin of the Julie mango to Jamaica. I had it listed as Trinidad as evidenced by many more sources than the ones that list Jamaica.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
Also, who labelled Brooks as being 'semi-dwarf'?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 01:36:44 AM »
To anyone who is adding information. Please do not change information that is already in the list even if you disagree with it, without writing a note about the change in the notes section. Otherwise someone may come back and change it again.

Someone incorrectly changed the origin of the Julie mango to Jamaica. I had it listed as Trinidad as evidenced by many more sources than the ones that list Jamaica.

Ever heard the saying... "Too many cooks spoil the soup"  I suspect you may have this problem if everyone has permission to make changes. 

Good luck on the bar exam.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
I'll email some pics in the next week or so . 

I think photo's of bearing trees, age of the tree, mature unripe and ripe fruits would be nice nice to have.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »
Ever heard the saying... "Too many cooks spoil the soup"  I suspect you may have this problem if everyone has permission to make changes. 

Good luck on the bar exam.

Thanks.

Since everyone does have permission to make changes, I can see the possibility of it getting out of control. Hopefully it doesn't.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
Thanks so much for this Murahlin and SQUAM!!!!!!!

I don't see the "other viewers" button on the right side
when I open it, Mura.  Anyway I added a couple things -
but like someone said - the HEROIC members should have
some great filler information for much of the list.

And I was intrigued by Pan's idea of degree days - seems like
that WOULD be the general key as to when something would fruit.
Seems like that kind of science would align with the plant's inner computer.
Not even sure if that info is available much for the diff. species....

BUt this whole charting idea is conceptually POTENT!

GaryFang

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »
I think it would be a good idea, to set up some standard guidelines in the list.

For example, Fruit weight ,  if not specified means someone will put in ounces, grams, or pounds.

When stating tree size,  what terms should people use,  small/med/large or Dwarf, Normal, precocious etc.

having set names would prevent a big mix.

Also i can see where some problems and conflicts will arise with things like tree size, and season, due to  differences in location and rootstock etc.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
Good Job creating this list.
Adiel

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »
Excellent idea, Murahilin! When this thing is completed it will be an incredible resource. Bookmarked!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
My understanding is that Extrema is from Paraguay, and not Brazil as indicated on the list.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »
Weight should only be in grams. Can someone please go through and convert all of the ounces to grams? Thanks!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »
Tim

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »
http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html  ;D ;D ;D

Tim, thanks for volunteering. I look forward to our updated list!  ;D

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
How should we standardize the "Eating Type" column? Should it be "Green, Dessert, Both"?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:33:54 PM by murahilin »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk