Author Topic: The Ultimate Mango List!  (Read 46233 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Mango List!
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
I searched and searched Google for a comprehensive list of mango cultivars and their growth habit, seed type, season, etc. but I was unable to find any. Squam did all of the hard work and made a handy list of 365 cultivars but we need the help of all of the members to input the other characteristics of the trees and fruit and also any missing cultivars. Please let me know any other category suggestions for the list.

This list will help people with such questions as "Which mango trees will give me the longest season?" or "How big will my tree get?" and "Which cultivars can be grated for the optimal multi mango tree?".

EDIT: We now have 468 cultivars on the list!

The weight should probably be in grams.

Here is the list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T5yroo6oqvsERObsP-LtgS_zX43TkEMcqtf4_CajGGE/edit?usp=sharing

If you would like to be able to edit the list, please shoot me a PM with your email address and I will add you.

There is a chat feature on the right side of the list if you click the "other viewers" button. People working on the list can use this to discuss changes to the list if they need to.

Please do not delete any information on the list. If you have to make a revision of something you see as an inaccuracy please copy the incorrect information to the "notes" column and explain why you changed it. Also, Do not move around or change the format as I have it or delete any of the columns I created. If you do not like the way I have organized everything, please feel free to copy the list and modify it on your own but not modify this one. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:04:54 PM by murahilin »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Mango List!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
I really like this idea :)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
I really like this idea :)

Patrick and I were discussing how to figure out a way to know which mango cultivars would best be multi-grafted onto one tree and he suggested that a list of all the cultivars would be very helpful so I contacted Squam because I figured if anyone was to have a list of the cultivars it would him and here we are with a list. Lol.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »
Wow!  You and Squam have done some excellent work.  That is quite the list.  This ill be a great source for all of those FAQ's.  Early, mid and late season should be sufficient.  How about a photo of each?  Too much work?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
Wow!  You and Squam have done some excellent work.  That is quite the list.  This ill be a great source for all of those FAQ's.  Early, mid and late season should be sufficient.  How about a photo of each?  Too much work?

A photo would be great but we would need a more secure (longer lasting) place to host it than "postimage" on the forum. As it is mango season, how about everyone try and get as many shots of mango as possible so we can put it a link to each cultivars photo also. That would make this list truly the greatest mango list every compiled.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »
Great idea! Do any of the mango books have cultivar lists? What about The Mango: its Botany. Don't have that book so don't know. I've always wondered about total number of worldwide mango cultivars? It's usually given as over 1000, but my guess is that it's a lot more than that. Don't suppose you want to work on that next Sheehan?  ;)
Oscar

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »
The Fairchild Mango Festival coming up will be a good place to get some photos, many varieties in one location.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

A photo would be great but we would need a more secure (longer lasting) place to host it than "postimage" on the forum. As it is mango season, how about everyone try and get as many shots of mango as possible so we can put it a link to each cultivars photo also. That would make this list truly the greatest mango list every compiled.

Couldn't you store or backup the photos on this website? Or internatitontropicalfruitforum.com?
BTW i find that postimage quality is pretty bad. Seems to me that all the photos posted there are over exposed, blurry? Doesn't seem like the maintain original quality?

Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
Great idea! Do any of the mango books have cultivar lists? What about The Mango: its Botany. Don't have that book so don't know. I've always wondered about total number of worldwide mango cultivars? It's usually given as over 1000, but my guess is that it's a lot more than that. Don't suppose you want to work on that next murahilin?  ;)

I wish I had the time to make all the lists I want to. After studying all day for the bar, not much time or energy to work on lists at night.

I checked The Mango: Botany, Production and Uses and it only has about 60 or so cultivars listed. I am sure there are a few other cultivars throughout the book but nothing as comprehensive.

I think if everyone contributes we could get this list to be almost all inclusive of the mango cultivars around the world.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »
Couldn't you store or backup the photos on this website? Or internatitontropicalfruitforum.com?
BTW i find that postimage quality is pretty bad. Seems to me that all the photos posted there are over exposed, blurry? Doesn't seem like the maintain original quality?

There would be enough space on the other site to host it but it would likely drain a lot of bandwidth and since we are on shared hosting it may slow down the forum. I think using the same google drive that I uploaded the list too would be the best place to store the images because it won't affect the loading time of the forum or any other of our websites. If everyone could email me their photos of their mango cultivars I could work on uploading them to an album that anyone on google+ would be able to see.

If anyone does email me their mango pics, please make sure it's your own pic to avoid copyright issues.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
What a great idea. 

I think the season should be given as the months the tree fruits in Florida.  Early, mid or late season is too simple.  Certain trees would them be listed as early to mid which covers too long of a season to really be helpful.  Plus most people that are growing a variety should easily know in what months the tree usually fruits.

Bill

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
The Fairchild Mango Festival coming up will be a good place to get some photos, many varieties in one location.

That's a good idea. I think I remember seeing a bunch of pics of mangos from there in the past few years posted by members so we could even start gathering those members pics from now and we wouldn't need as many from the Festival.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »

That's a good idea. I think I remember seeing a bunch of pics of mangos from there in the past few years posted by members so we could even start gathering those members pics from now and we wouldn't need as many from the Festival.

Only problem with using Fairchild fest photos is that some of the fruits are not fully ripe. They pick whatever they have at the time. But still a great idea because you could just omit the photos that aren't really representative of the fruits. If members contributed photos of their own fruits i would think they would be better quality shots as often the lighting, crowds, rush, etc.  at the festival is not really conducive to getting good shots.
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »
I have pics of most of the fruit at the 2010 and 2011 festivals.

Asit Ghosh also has a lot of pics that he's uploaded to flickr.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:36:46 PM by Squam256 »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »
I have pics of most of the fruit at the 2010 and 2011 festivals.

Asit Ghosh also has a lot of pics that he's uploaded to flickr.

You should invite Asit Ghosh to the forum. Maybe he would be willing to contribute his mango pics to the list?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 11:56:50 PM »
In regards to the "Season" category, should it be general such as early, mid, late or should be specify the months for the main mango growing areas on the forum eg., Florida, CA?

Fantastic idea.
I'm of the belief that if you want to make an 'ultimate mango list', you dont base it soley on Floridian mango season, particularly if you want cultivars from far off places that dont care about when the mangoes might ripen in Florida.  I note that early-mid-late is pretty simplistic though. Perhaps making bracketed notes on season in Floria or CA after the early-mid-late scale would be okay - or have it as an unlabelled field in a 'notes/observations' category?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
I will try and get some good photos in a couple of weeks, when we have our own Mango festival.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »
Fantastic idea.
I'm of the belief that if you want to make an 'ultimate mango list', you dont base it soley on Floridian mango season, particularly if you want cultivars from far off places that dont care about when the mangoes might ripen in Florida.  I note that early-mid-late is pretty simplistic though. Perhaps making bracketed notes on season in Floria or CA after the early-mid-late scale would be okay - or have it as an unlabelled field in a 'notes/observations' category?

I agree. We can't have the list be Florida centric but we can definitely add a column for each mango region and have the months listed. The season bracket will remain pretty simplistic and be early-mid-late and if anyone wants to go through the extra work of adding the months for their region in another column that would be fine too.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 02:41:08 AM »
Is there scope to add in categories for fruit size (avg.) and eating type (green/yellow/both)?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »
Great idea count me in.I will try to get shots of some of the more unusual ones during the season like rabaul/cedar bay and some of the feral forms.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »
Is there scope to add in categories for fruit size (avg.) and eating type (green/yellow/both)?

Good idea. I added those two categories.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
Very cool! Thanks for doing this. Perhaps one day it could even be converted into a full-fletched online mango database.

Tomas

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
Very cool! Thanks for doing this. Perhaps one day it could even be converted into a full-fletched online mango database.

Tomas

That's the eventual goal. I see a lot of people have visited the list but hardly anyone has contributed though. The success of the list really depends on members taking the time to input info.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »
What about a category for "where" successfully fruited ?
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »
What about a category for "where" successfully fruited ?

That category doesn't seem too important because with a greenhouse you could theoretically fruit them anywhere. It would me a more relevant category in the list of all fruit species but not this specific mango list.