Author Topic: Feling texture of Jackfruit rind on your computer screen?  (Read 1837 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Feling texture of Jackfruit rind on your computer screen?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
Touch seems like the hardest thing to do. Chemical fume detectors already exist for a long long time in smoke detectors. Finger tip-sized modules that detect multiple chemicals are also available now. Voice recognition is not so new but was alway 95% and that missing 5% error made all the sentences sound funny. Computer vision involves separating a scene into regions based on color density and lines, and then running those through recognizers to guess what the objects are.

All these are still really primitive compared to any animal sensory system, but they're making visible advances. I still can't imagine how they will implement touch or tactile feedback. The major problem of smartphones had been users not able to use it without looking at the screen. So 5 or so years ago I heard about some MIT-like place trying out screens where portions could be raised up so users could feel bumps. But now that almost everybody uses a screen protector on their smartphones I don't see how users will be able to feel anything like that, let alone fabric textures.