Author Topic: Juliette Mango  (Read 10413 times)

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
Juliette Mango
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
Has anyone on the forum tried or tasted a Juliette Mando yet. I have one but hasn't friuted yet, and was wondering if I should plant it in the grove?

Thanks, Joe.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Juliette Mango
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
A few members have written comments about it in the past. If you use the forum's google search feature on the main page you will find a few posts describing the Juliette.

I've tasted the Juliette a few years ago. It was okay.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
A few members have written comments about it in the past. If you use the forum's google search feature on the main page you will find a few posts describing the Juliette.

I've tasted the Juliette a few years ago. It was okay.

Already did that, nothing about taste!!!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
Its pretty good. I think it tasted more like Carrie than Julie. The fruit are on the small side but people that I sampled it out to liked it a lot.

The tree appears to be significantly more vigorous than Julie.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
Already did that, nothing about taste!!!

They were scattered around, here is what I could find:

"Juliett is a "new" Julie by Carrie cross I believe (or maybe it was Julie x Gary, memory is failing here). I think the flavor is more similar to Carrie than Julie. I like it. Can't really comment on the production or growth habit though. " - Squam
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4125.msg57052#msg57052

"Juliette is a "new and improved" Julie with better disease resistance.  I have tasted a number of Juliette fruit in 2012 and it was very inconsistent.  Some were very good and some were average at best." -BSBullie
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4125.msg57025#msg57025

"I had the Juliette last year (it was called HE-4). I was good, but not soul smashing like the LZ. I remember it being like a julie but with less musk." - CookieMonster
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2142.msg29530#msg29530

Maybe some other members have had a chance to try it since.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:03:27 PM by murahilin »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
the comments of the LZ is what made me put this tree on my number 1 list of the trees i purchased yesterday at Top Tropicals...

"Soul smashing"  I love the feedback that yall bring to the forums....please keep it coming for the mango noobs such as myself.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »
I've had it 2 years ago. I liked it better than Julie. Fiberless, spicy flavor like I like it but unlike Julie it ripens evenly on both side. I prefer Carrie

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »
I've had it 2 years ago. I liked it better than Julie. Fiberless, spicy flavor like I like it but unlike Julie it ripens evenly on both side. I prefer Carrie

I've never noticed an uneven ripening of Julie. I don't think that is common with Julies.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
Me neither. Not in FL or Trinidad from my own trees.

Neelam/neelam .... yes. Yet another reason it may get yanked (small fruit, large stone).

Hopefully I'll get to taste some Juliette mangoes this year from my tree. It "seems" precocious and so far has a "bushy" and compact structure.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »

I've never noticed an uneven ripening of Julie. I don't think that is common with Julies.

Wow I'm going to have to try Julie again. Someone send me a box of these only found two that evenly ripen

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 03:14:28 PM »
Wow I'm going to have to try Julie again. Someone send me a box of these only found two that evenly ripen

I'll see if I can send you some this summer.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »

I'll see if I can send you some this summer.

Thanks Sheehan!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
here is a pic of June 2012 with some of the Julie mangos we had. we ate 6 or 7 and only 2 properly ripen on both side. The rest were perfectly ripen on one side but not the other we though it was a defect of this cultivar. do you think they were harvest too early maybe?

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:47 PM »
I've never noticed the one sided ripening of Julie.  One of my favorite mangos, but tough to grow in my yard secondary to anthracnose issues.

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
I've debating getting a Juliette for awhile now. I'm a fan of Julie and most would claim that this is even better. I've been reading a lot of inconsistent reviews though. Some have been rating it as just ok, others as excellent top-tier mango. It seems like the latest reviews have been very positive. I wonder if that has something to do with harvesting from a mature trees( believe it was only released 3 or 4 years ago). I'm also concerned that I a ST Maui tree in the ground. Even though I have not tasted ether fruit. I was told that they have a Caribbean "sweet spice" taste. Hopefully that makes sense to somebody. Like most everybody here I have limited space and don't want to get two mangoes with similar taste. I would appreciate any information that you can share or if anybody has changed their minds after tasting one recently. I would love to hear about it.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
I've debating getting a Juliette for awhile now. I'm a fan of Julie and most would claim that this is even better. I've been reading a lot of inconsistent reviews though. Some have been rating it as just ok, others as excellent top-tier mango. It seems like the latest reviews have been very positive. I wonder if that has something to do with harvesting from a mature trees( believe it was only released 3 or 4 years ago). I'm also concerned that I a ST Maui tree in the ground. Even though I have not tasted ether fruit. I was told that they have a Caribbean "sweet spice" taste. Hopefully that makes sense to somebody. Like most everybody here I have limited space and don't want to get two mangoes with similar taste. I would appreciate any information that you can share or if anybody has changed their minds after tasting one recently. I would love to hear about it.
I love both Julie and julliete. I've had problems with Julie ripening uneven but I love that rich spicy flavor. I planted a Juliette seed a few years ago and it fruited last year. I'm looking forward this year as the tree is now three years old with a nice bloom.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »
I love both Julie and julliete. I've had problems with Julie ripening uneven but I love that rich spicy flavor. I planted a Juliette seed a few years ago and it fruited last year. I'm looking forward this year as the tree is now three years old with a nice bloom.
Congrats JF on the new variety (I believe juliette was a mono cross ...Julie x gary)  Look forward to hearing more info on it...what are you going to call it?  I assumed that you tried the fruit last year and thought it was worth keeping. Everyone says the real characteristics come out after several seasons of fruiting.  Please keep us posted.
Warren

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
My Juliette looks (fingers crossed) like its going to flower this season. It definitely not dwarf (already 8-9ft tall with pruning) but can be compact/bushy since it responds very well to tip pruning.
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »
While i am not a fan or either Julie or Juliette,  most i have shared and talked with say the Juliette is extremely close to or even an almost an unnoticeable difference when compared to Julie grown here in Florida in terms of looks and taste.  Tree is more vigorous and less prone to disease issues.  From a decision and recommendation standpoint,  go with Juliette over Julie.

When compared to St. Maui, you may want Sheehan and/or Alex to provide their opinion.  You may also want to consider Buxton Spice.
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
While i am not a fan or either Julie or Juliette,  most i have shared and talked with say the Juliette is extremely close to or even an almost an unnoticeable difference when compared to Julie grown here in Florida in terms of looks and taste.  Tree is more vigorous and less prone to disease issues.  From a decision and recommendation standpoint,  go with Juliette over Julie.

When compared to St. Maui, you may want Sheehan and/or Alex to provide their opinion.  You may also want to consider Buxton Spice.

Hmmm...

Rob, I bought a Julie maybe a year and a half a go as a 3 gallon...it flowered it's first year (last summer) but aborted its fruit that were relatively mature..or the Jays got them, can't remember.

I was always suspicious of this tree though, in that time frame it's now a 7x7 (with a bit of pruning done already to control it) vigorous but bushy beauty (it's half whiskey barrel potted by the way). Zero fungus or pest issues, and is going into full bloom as we speak. The fruit definitely looked like Julie in terms of shape and beak etc., but now I'm wondering if this may be Juliette, because this thing definitely loves to grow! Think it's possible there may have been a mix up?

anyway I should definitely get some fruit this year to try, so we'll see.

always longing for a JA Julie

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »
I appreciate the feedback everybody. I guess the only question I have left is if the flavor profile is similar to the ST Maui. Space is limited and don't want two trees that taste the same. Thanks again.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 12:47:26 PM »
Finally got to taste a Juliette from my tree. The fruits this season are on the small side. Barely 210g (7oz and change). Fruit shape was similar to some Julies I would get from my tree. I tasted a Gary mango on first bite. It does have that Gary flavor and the flesh scrapes cleanly off the skin. Did not detect any Julie flavors in it. Flesh color was about the same (orange colored). Brix- 20.5. The tree has been problem free and takes extremely well to tip pruning. Only con is flowers and fruit are sooooo sloooooow to mature.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:02:02 PM by TnTrobbie »
F*ck squirrels and deers

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:25 PM »
Had the last Juliette mango of the season. More and more I'm picking some taste resemblance to Val-Carrie. Creamy and sweet with a little medicinal after taste to it. Brix was 26.
F*ck squirrels and deers

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 09:27:06 AM »
Mine produced well this year and I again found the flavor to be more Carrie-like than Julie.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 11:05:18 AM »
my review of Juliette -- http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20840.msg256189

I have tasted two and need to try more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk