Author Topic: SEEKING: Pistachios  (Read 3429 times)

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
SEEKING: Pistachios
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »
When they are in season, I would be interested in viable scions and seeds.

(I am extremely careful, but a couple of my Ebay purchases disintegrated, overnight.)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: SEEKING: Pistachios
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:13 PM »
I germinated a seed from a local supermarket that sells them fresh. I'm not sure when they sell them. I also don't know what to do with it. I heard I'll need 2 trees?

Ansarac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »
Before the pistachio was bred into different varieties, they would have been predominantly male or female.

But, the Antep and Gold Crop / California Gold were reportedly bred to be self fertile, after several generations.

In my experience, self-fertile trees of any kind are still much more productive, when planted near others, because this still results in more chances for pollination -- even though the tree is technically capable of fertilizing itself.

If you're able to locate these seeds, again, I keep a modest amount of spending money, barter, or pay it forward.

:) Thanks for posting in my thread. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:30:27 PM by Ansarac »

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:23:49 AM »
Never heard about self-fertile pistachios I think they are dioecious, arent they?
Daniel

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »
I didn't realize Beaumont was relatively close. I don't remember the price but even $5/lb doesn't translate into much.

I don't know where to get the good varieties though. A friend in San Diego said she had 2 trees.

Ansarac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:08:36 PM »
Never heard about self-fertile pistachios I think they are dioecious, arent they?

I am not finding any research, online, to corroborate the claims, which sellers have made to me, personally.

Buyers beware.

In the event that they are dioecious, I will have collected several seedlings, though.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »

I am not finding any research, online, to corroborate the claims, which sellers have made to me, personally.

Buyers beware.

In the event that they are dioecious, I will have collected several seedlings, though.

You need just one male for approx 6-8 females.. better to get directly the grafted trees..
Daniel