Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620482 times)

Kona400

• Kailua-Kona, HI 400' Elevation
    • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #325 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Hello all, my name is Jason and I live on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.  Kailua-Kona to be exact.  I live at an elevation of about 400' with very little rain.  I am growing mangos, citrus, bananas, and an avocado in the ground and much more in pots.  My interest is in mango right now.  I planted citrus in the ground because that is what I grew up with and I thought mango would be too big for our 1/4 acre lot with the HOA rules.  Now that I know better, I think about replacing the citrus but can't bring myself to kill perfectly good trees that produce good fruit.  I'm learning from making mistakes and reading up on anything that interests me on the web.  Hopefully when I get a bigger lot, I'll have a better idea on how to plant and grow a variety of fruits.  Looking forward to learning and sharing what I can.  A big thank you to the people who set up this site.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #326 on: July 29, 2012, 02:03:58 AM »
Welcome Kona 400 from Hilo 650.  :D
Oscar

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
Hi all,

We found out about this forum after attending a mango seminar by Joe (Mangoman2).  We moved to Merritt Island, FL, late last year.  The previous owner had planted a number of trees, according to the 2x4 header in the shed:

After searching the property, I've come to the conclusion that the mango and banana trees must have died.  The other trees are alive, but obviously have been neglected.  I'm working on feeding/pruning/spraying the remaining ones.

We also have ordered a Glenn and Zill mango trees. 

Neither of us care much for grapefruit trees, so these might end up being replaced, especially since they're in rough shape.

We have a 0.66 acre lot, but about half of it is conservation area, so nothing can be done with it.  The upside is NO neighbors behind us!  Very tropical here on the island.  Recently planted a pineapple as well.

Looking forward to learning and sharing.

Robert & Dawn

Welcome to the forum Robert&Dawn. I'm sure you will enjoy this forum.

Joe.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »
Hi VyVy, welcome! You have 4 sugar apples and no cherimoya? Don't worry. That can be fixed really soon. :) We have lots of good cherimoya around here.

You can also try attending a local CRFG meeting in your area for more in-person interactions if you aren't already. There are chapters in Riverside, San Diego, Orange County, South Bay, West LA, San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, and I believe Santa Barbara as well.

fyliu

I missed all these posts
What's CRFG?

as for Cherimoya, I was never interested, until very recently I learned of it's usage for grafting atemoya & sugar apple
luckily I threw some seed in the back yard and they are actually growing, I also bought a few last week, but they are too small for their job at this time. Therefore I will sit back and wait until they are old enough for me to experiment grafting techniques, meanwhile I will try to acquire as much knowledge as I can, so when the time is right, I will get my hands on immediately

and thank you for arranging the grafting party this August, I can't wait

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:18 AM »
CRFG = California Rare Fruit Growers. It's a non profit organization with chapters all over California, and some in Arizona and Texas. They have monthly meetings you can attend. They also put out a bimonthly magazine called Fruit Gardener. Their website is http://crfg.org
Oscar

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
Greetings from East Tennessee.

I've been interested in fragrant herbs and spices since college.  Since then, I've become interested in tropical spices, drinks, and fruit.  My spices include:
Allspice
Bay Laurel
Black Pepper
Cardamom
Cinnamon
Ginger
Vanilla

My drink plants include:
Cola (Kola)
Chocolate (Cocoa)
'Kona' Coffee (made berries)
'Catura' Coffee
Small Leaf Tea (with seeds)
Weber Blue Agave

I have the following tropical fruit plants:
'Florida Sweet' Acerola (Barbados Cherry)
Surinam Cherry
'Super Dwarf Cavendish' Banana
'T.R. Hovey' Papaya (with fruit!)
'Wonderful' Pomegranate
Dwarf Pomegranate (so far, the flowers all fall off)
'Meyer' Lemon (with fruit!)
Key Lime (fruit last year)
Satsuma Orange (with LOTS of fruit this year!)
Pindo Jelly Palm
Dragon Fruit Cactus
Olive

All my tropical plants huddle in the sunroom built onto the back of my house over the winter.  It's only got a small heater, so many plants go dormant when it's cold.  I bring them outside to line my driveway for the summer.  The trees are in 20--24 inch pots mounted on casters; the herbs are in smaller planters.  They need lots of water when it's hot, but they love the heat.  Several plants are still young.  Unless I marked them as fruiting above, none have bloomed, much less made fruit.

I joined this forum hoping to read your advice on getting container plants to fruit or make more fruit.

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »
TNAndy welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a nice variety of plants.

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:26 AM »
Greetings everyone.....im from Indonesia,
its really nice to read all those information and see the pictures of lovely fruit from tropical fruit lovers.... (my english was very..very poor....so hope that you can even understand what im trying to say/write.... :p

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
its really nice to read all those information and see the pictures of lovely fruit from tropical fruit lovers.... (my english was very..very poor....so hope that you can even understand what im trying to say/write.... :p
Hi Picko Jack
Your english is very easy to understand. In fact it is very good. Did you learn it in school? Being from Indonesia you must get to eat a lot of nice fruit over there. Do you have many fruit trees yourself?

Picko Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 09, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Hi Picko Jack
Your english is very easy to understand. In fact it is very good. Did you learn it in school? Being from Indonesia you must get to eat a lot of nice fruit over there. Do you have many fruit trees yourself?

Thank you Renee....its been very relief to know someone write back to me....coz its just feel like im an alien since its first time i write in english to people spoken the language. yes we learn it in schol but i think my best learning source is holywood movie (seriously!) lol, we've so many tropical fruit here in indonesia...and my fav is mango, durian and longan...those kind i plant myself, mostly in container. and also view other kind of trop fruit (jackfruit, guava, wax jambu and anona) -just try to figure out how to post the pict- :p

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Thought I'd introduce myself.  Simon over on the GW Tropical Fruits Forum suggested I stop by for my mango questions, since I'm trying to add a few mango trees to my large fruit tree collection. I'm an RN, live in N. San Diego county, California.  Kids are grown, and have replaced them with fruit trees, hah!  Belong to the CRFG N. San Diego chapter, but don't get to do as much as I'd like.  Great group.  I have over 150 different fruit trees, vines and bushes, and am trying to add a few more sub-tropical and tropical things as I go along.  I have two Dragonfruit cuttings to plant (and build trellis' for, which is why they're still in pots!), a White Sapote, a Solo Papaya that is finally taking off this year after two years of sort of just sitting around, several Fejoa (Pineapple Guava) bushes, a Pink Mexican Guava, some unknown white guava (here when I moved in), and an oddly named mango (Wahuka) that I purchased at Clausen's Nursery in Vista just this week.  Supposedly it is a Mexican mango that is propagated up in Fallbrook, and Ray gets them from there.  Supposedly? they are a 'Sugar' mango, which I hear are quite good.  Thanks, Simon, looking forward to this forum and all I can learn from it!

Patty S.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 09, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
Welcome Patty, glad to have another
San Diegan on board.  Looking forward to the Dekopon talks ;D
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2012, 08:56:42 AM »
Howdy and welcome Patty and Picko Jack.Picko Jack I am a neighbor of yours living just across in northern Australia.Hollywood films have all the english that is worthwhile.If you have a 'need for seed' there are many top guns on this forum.Keep having a try at posting the pictures and it will seem easy after a few times.

Picko Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2012, 10:59:32 AM »
Thanks Mike...glad to see australian grower here...and i guess north ausie have tropical climate just like indonesia....still amaze for what you guys achieve with durian and many tropical fruit cultivation there... somehow are really better than its origin country...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
My durian types are thai and malaysian ones but some local people grow a variety of indonesian types and even other indonesian ones from borneo and sumatra.I also don't grow indonesian salaks like pondoh but have one bali as I prefer the taste of the thai ones.The rambutans I have are mostly malaysian and I won't go through the fruits I have.
It is wet and tropical in my area but winter at the moment.

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Hello all,
My name is Sidney, I do believe I am the only member from the Bay Islands of Honduras on here.
I have been familiar with fruit and gardening from a very young age, but have not taken it seriously until about 5 years ago. Here on the Island, known officially as Guanaja, but as "Bonacca" to all local Islanders,  hence my user name, we have grown the usuals for the area. Mango (numerous unknown varieties), breadfruit, cassava (yucca to some), hog plum (spondias mombin,and spondias purpurea), cocoplum, naseberry, banana, plantain, pineapple, sugar cane, mamey sapote, guavas, coconuts, soursop, various citrus varieties, sea grape, giant craboo, guava, avocado, cashew, rose apple, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.
Once I had aquired most of these I felt pretty good about my little garden of only 1 acre. Then I started researching to learn how to take better care of these and then it happened...

Lychee..? Marang..? Mangosteen..? Achachairu..? Grumichama, Okari nut..? Kepel..? Salak..? These things sounded like rare health conditions until I started reading... The more I read the more determined I was to grow these new(to me), unique, and (apparently) delicious fruit... I say apparently because the forums spoke of the taste but I had never tried them and the more I read the more enamoured I became with these unknown wonders...
I started buying seeds online and looking locally for what could not be found by seed, and like most of you agree, it just doesn't stop. Every time I brouse the net I seem to find a new fruit that is a must have...
Altough space is becoming limited I still run across a spot here and there where I can put just one more...
Sorry for the long first post. I look forward to reading more of the experienced posters comments...
Happy to be here.

Bonakyon.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Sidney, I do believe I am the only member from the Bay Islands of Honduras on here.
I have been familiar with fruit and gardening from a very young age, but have not taken it seriously until about 5 years ago. Here on the Island, known officially as Guanaja, but as "Bonacca" to all local Islanders,  hence my user name, we have grown the usuals for the area. Mango (numerous unknown varieties), breadfruit, cassava (yucca to some), hog plum (spondias mombin,and spondias purpurea), cocoplum, naseberry, banana, plantain, pineapple, sugar cane, mamey sapote, guavas, coconuts, soursop, various citrus varieties, sea grape, giant craboo, guava, avocado, cashew, rose apple, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.
Once I had aquired most of these I felt pretty good about my little garden of only 1 acre. Then I started researching to learn how to take better care of these and then it happened...

Lychee..? Marang..? Mangosteen..? Achachairu..? Grumichama, Okari nut..? Kepel..? Salak..? These things sounded like rare health conditions until I started reading... The more I read the more determined I was to grow these new(to me), unique, and (apparently) delicious fruit... I say apparently because the forums spoke of the taste but I had never tried them and the more I read the more enamoured I became with these unknown wonders...
I started buying seeds online and looking locally for what could not be found by seed, and like most of you agree, it just doesn't stop. Every time I brouse the net I seem to find a new fruit that is a must have...
Altough space is becoming limited I still run across a spot here and there where I can put just one more...
Sorry for the long first post. I look forward to reading more of the experienced posters comments...
Happy to be here.

Bonakyon.
Welcome...for those who don't know, naseberry is sapodilla.
- Rob

Bonakyon

• View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Rob.
I am completely new to everyone on here but I look forward to interacting with you on the forums, learning and sharing experiences as we go along...

A little on my background. I spent the last 12 years in the seafood industry exporting caribbean lobster tails to Florida. Now I am into real estate. Guanaja-realestate.com if anyone would like to take a peek...
I spend my time between taking care of my yard/ fruit trees and the real estate business, and I must mention the fishing... Love to fish and my wife loves it as much... I am also a member on THT.

Cheers,

Bonakyon.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2012, 06:24:26 AM »
Welcome Bonakyon,I too am a keen fisherman,crustacean lover and gardener.People here are friendly and welcoming.One acre can fit and awful lot of fruit trees and I'm sure you're putting a hit-list together of your wants.Before too long I bet you have it an edible jungle.
Cheers
Mike T

Bonakyon

• View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #344 on: August 12, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »
Hey Mike T,  thanks for the welcome. It means a lot to a newbie that guys like you and Rob would extend a hand and say "come on in".
Mike, I do a lot trolling, we also do some deep dropping, some live baiting and some chunking. Most targeted species are wahoo, dorado, king fish, big eye and yellowfin tuna... And like somebody else on here said, most of the remains go to feed the plants.

What's your style and what do you fish most..?

Cheers.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 12, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
Bonakyon on the reef I chase red emperor,spangled emperor,scarlet sea perch,coral trout,cobia and those style fish with handlines and on rods mackerel,kingfish,jobfish,wahoo etc.I don't go too deep only to 130ft on handlines and chum when anchored.In the estuaries it is more barramundi,mangrove jack,fingermark,threadfin, grunter,bream,flathead etc.I also like to throw the castnet for shrimps and set crabpots for mudcrabs.
There are a few skeletons under the avo tree the ducks have picked clean.

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
Howdy and welcome Patty and Picko Jack.Picko Jack I am a neighbor of yours living just across in northern Australia.Hollywood films have all the english that is worthwhile.If you have a 'need for seed' there are many top guns on this forum.Keep having a try at posting the pictures and it will seem easy after a few times.

Hey, hi Tim!  Glad to see you on this forum, and as a moderator?  So, any idea about my "Wahuka" which I am sure is misspelled. Probably "Juahuco" or possibly "Huatulco", both areas in Mexico. This is some Mexican variety mango grown by someone up in Fallbrook. Clausen's buys from them. Does this variety sound familiar to you?  Exotica Nursery seemed to know of it, and they told me it was the same as the Sugar mango??

Patty S.

gaberoo

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »
Hello all,

I'm a novice tropical fruit enthusiast with lots of questions and, for now, very few answers (hopefully that will change?).

I'm in zone 10 (not sure whether 10a or 10b) in Miami, FL.

Currently looking to find places where I can sample different varieties of tropical fruit (specially mango and jackfruit varieties) to decide which ones I will plant in the limited space I have (I guess they need to be amenable to being pruned to dwarf size?).

I'm hoping to learn a lot here and share the little experience I have.

Cheers!

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »
Welcome gaberoo,

The first thing you may want to consider is joining one of the local fruit clubs here in Miami-Dade County. There's the Rare Fruit Council that meets the 2nd Wednesday of every month at the Museum of Science, and the other is the Tropical Fruit & Vegetable Society which meets the last Wednesday of every month at the Fruit & Spice Park. They usually have seasonal tropical fruit to sample at their meetings. As far as sampling different varieties, have you gone to Robert is Here? It's a fruit stand in South Dade. There are also other events, many which have passed already such as the International Mango Festival at the Fairchild Tropical Garden. You just need to keep an eye out for them. The Fruit & Spice park also has fruit samples of whatever's in season, etc.

Jaime

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »
Hey everyone, my name is Cody, been reading on here for a while after mikesid showed me this site. Born and raised in Boynton, ever since I was little I wanted to grow plants and trees that would repay me with edible food. I started off with peppers in pots, and then learned that mango trees did not all have to be 60ft tall and taste 'ok'. I have a pickering and a cogshall mango in pots right now, cogshall I will be putting in the ground soon. SK carambola and 2 mauritius lychee are in the ground, bangkok lemon jackfruit is in my frontyard. just gutted an 80 ft strip of cluster palms in my backyard so that I could put some new additions to my collection. As for work, I am currently working for Boynton Fire with mikesid. Looking to learn more from this community and add what little knowledge I might have. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:23:35 PM by cwojo »