Author Topic: WTB: Pierce Cherimoya  (Read 3051 times)

Mftek

• Socal
    • View Profile
WTB: Pierce Cherimoya
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
Here in socal, looking to obtain a pierce cherimoya tree.
Thanks!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: Pierce Cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:29:36 AM »
Papaya tree nursery has it for sure. I think even Home Depot and Lowes sometimes have it. Not sure about other nurseries.

Mftek

• Socal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »
Papaya tree nursery has it for sure. I think even Home Depot and Lowes sometimes have it. Not sure about other nurseries.
Thank you!

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »
Thanks!

home depot in stanton had some but it's labeled knight cherimoya you can also talk to the nursery manager to special order if your local home depot don't have it

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
Thanks!

home depot in stanton had some but it's labeled knight cherimoya you can also talk to the nursery manager to special order if your local home depot don't have it

boxturtle: So the Knight cherimoya that LaVerne propagates is actually Pierce?
- Mark

Mftek

• Socal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
Thanks!

Knight cherimoya is pierce cherimoya? Are you sure?
I seen my HD last week carry those but I didn’t purchase

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
I found this: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/12266.html

"On Knight/Pierce/etc, my understanding is that Pierce is the smooth fruit commonly called that, whereas Knight is a fruit with a number of synonyms ('rough Pierce, etc) but small bumps-- and is thus distinguishable from true or smooth Pierce. I remember at the CCA meeting a year or two ago that we were both at, I thought the Pierce was the best tasting of the 5 or so varieites they had-- the few times I've tasted it, it always had really nice lemony/acidic tones that seem great to me."

So the question is: Does Knight from LaVerne have smooth skin or small bumps?
- Mark

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:08 AM »
that's what annona guru told me :) but picture of fruit on the label is smooth skinned  I can take picture of the label tomorrow others can chime in....starch I came across that article too and they refer knight as pierce #2 I didn't know what that meant maybe a seedling of pierce that was even better then the original? so either case still better to get knight
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:59:40 AM by boxturtle »

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
I found this: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/12266.html

"On Knight/Pierce/etc, my understanding is that Pierce is the smooth fruit commonly called that, whereas Knight is a fruit with a number of synonyms ('rough Pierce, etc) but small bumps-- and is thus distinguishable from true or smooth Pierce. I remember at the CCA meeting a year or two ago that we were both at, I thought the Pierce was the best tasting of the 5 or so varieites they had-- the few times I've tasted it, it always had really nice lemony/acidic tones that seem great to me."

So the question is: Does Knight from LaVerne have smooth skin or small bumps?

Interesting conversation.  I thought Pierce and Knight were the same thing, but the CRFG site agrees with the post you have provided.  If the two varieties have difference fruit skin types and leaf sizes, then they are not true synonyms.

From the CRFG site:

Knight (syns. DV, Pierce, M&N Pierce)
Origin a Mr. Knight, Orange, Calif., 1930's. Scions imported from Mexico. Recovered from Dr. Pierce's ranch, Goleta, in 1950's and propagated under several names. Tree has medium vigor, medium-sized pale green wavy leaves. Fruit has minor protuberances, a thin skin, a slightly grainy texture and is quite sweet.

Pierce (syns. Knight, Escondido White, Ryerson, Thomson-Spain, & Bayott)
Believed to be from a group of scions imported from Mexico in the 1930's by a Mr. Knight of Orange. Dr. H. F. Pierce planted a grove in Goleta in that period made up largely of trees produced by Knight. This cultivar was Dr. Pierce's favorite and was named "Pierce" by him. Tree is vigorous with large dark green leaves. Fruit is medium sized elongated conically shaped with very smooth skin and a high sugar content.

I have a Vietnam variety of Cherimoya from LaVerne and on Cloudforest some posts suggest that this is a synonym for Knight. Not sure about this, but the fruit is rather bumpy at this stage of development.

Vietnam Cherimoya

Bob

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:49:23 PM »