Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 952821 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1400 on: September 25, 2015, 10:50:27 PM »

Can someone explain why this is happening. I have planted a purple haze cutting which already had roots when it arrived to me about a month ago. And about 2 weeks ago, I planted a s8 cutting with no roots. The purple haze is showing no signs of new growth except that I do know it's growing new roots because I'm guilty of moving it around a couple times. I have it planted in a mound in the garden. The s8 is planted in a pot and I think it's already showing signs of a new vine coming out. The tiny little nub on the top right of the cutting shown in the picture.
Why is it the s8 with no roots as far as I know is showing new growth where as the purple haze which came already rooted is showing no signs of growth? Should I be worried about the purple haze cutting?
Does is has something to do with the maturity of the cutting? Food that is stored in the cutting itself? I do think the s8 cutting is more mature than the purple haze though, just a guess by the looks.
Or is it because one is potted and one is in the ground? Should I pot up?

Not all cuttings act the same. Some start new top growth right away, some start only roots right away, and some can take over 6 months to do anything. Cutting maturity is important. Be patient.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 27, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »
Not all cuttings act the same. Some start new top growth right away, some start only roots right away, and some can take over 6 months to do anything. Cutting maturity is important. Be patient.

And sometime's it's just random. I potted cuttings from my La Verne pink, giving one to my mom and keeping 4. All 4 of mine started growing immediately, and some of them have tripled in size. My Mom's cutting did nothing at all for 6 months, and I was about to declare it dead and give her one of mine. It had even started rotting near the base. Then I went to visit and throw it away, and voila! It had started a new lobe at the top. We have the same climate (2.5 miles away ATCF) and gave them roughly the same care.

I've also had some very immature cuttings root immediately and push out new growth.

And I obtained two new cuttings this weekend that I'm very hopeful about :D
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 28, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
Thanks ric and thewaterbug! Now I'll just wait and watch for any movement at all and watch carefully for any rotting!

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 28, 2015, 08:08:34 PM »
T.T. Nursery in central Florida, USA, is selling the small but sweet (according to them) Dragon Fruit that's yellow on the outside and translucent-white color on the inside, with thorns that drop off when the fruit ripens.

I'm seriously thinking about getting it, but I have to figure out where to put it in my yard, as it's (aesthetically) maxed out on fruit trees. It sucks to run out of space to plant more fruit trees. I definitely need more land.

I never heard of that Dragon Fruit variety behavior before: "the thorns drop off when the fruit ripens;" cool!
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 28, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »
I never heard of that Dragon Fruit variety behavior before: "the thorns drop off when the fruit ripens;" cool!
Here's a link to their web page on Selenicereus megalanthus.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 28, 2015, 10:53:09 PM »

See the chart I posted September 14 on this thread. It is #8 and #17 on the chart.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:35 PM »
Don't know if anybody else has had same drama but I had a new shoot on my dragonfruit cutting and a bloody slug got up the top of the cutting and hoed into the new shoot, you can see the slime trail inbetween the spines on the shoot. Sneaky little bastards.
Don

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 29, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »
Yellow Dragonfruit ( H/S Megalanthus) is an excellent fruit that has built in armor. Rats sometimes get to my other varieties of DF but they have never bothered my Yellow Dragons. When the fruit is ripe, the spines have to be brushed off, they do not fall off by themselves but the fruit is well worth the troubles.

Bugs and animals love my new DF growths:(

Simon

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 29, 2015, 12:43:50 AM »
Don't know if anybody else has had same drama but I had a new shoot on my dragonfruit cutting and a bloody slug got up the top of the cutting and hoed into the new shoot, you can see the slime trail inbetween the spines on the shoot. Sneaky little bastards.

All creatures great and small. Except slugs.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 29, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
Pitahaya Fruit (Dragon Fruit) varieties on display today at UC Hansen Agricultural Research Center in Santa Paula, CA.

Special Pitahaya/Dragon Fruit Field Day.

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: September 30, 2015, 04:57:05 PM »
wish we could make the picture bigger

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 30, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »
And sometime's it's just random. I potted cuttings from my La Verne pink, giving one to my mom and keeping 4. All 4 of mine started growing immediately, and some of them have tripled in size.

And sometimes humans are stupid. I have a nice 4' piece that I'd cut from the tip of my main plant a few months ago to encourage lateral branching. I wasn't thinking of keeping it, so I just stuck it in the dirt, in the same pot as the main plant. It was about 18" at the time, and it more than doubled in size. I wanted to put it in its own pot, so I tried digging it out this weekend. And I snapped off all the roots. So it's starting from scratch again.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 30, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
wish we could make the picture bigger

The picture is a "panorama" (20" x 5.75") of three different digital photographs. I feel lucky it turned out as well as it did.

If you want to see the originals, send me a PM with your email address.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:30:10 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 30, 2015, 05:39:09 PM »
At yesterday's Pitahaya Festival/Field Day, I "rediscovered" Sin Espinas (a thorn-less variety from Nicaragua). Back in 2011 I made a note that it was one of my favorites in taste. Seeing Sin Espinas growing with fruit on a hedge trellis at the UC trial on MVP Farm made me want to add this to my collection. No thorns, nice looking fruit, that tastes good = winner in my book. There were no Sin Espinas cuttings available.  :'(

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: October 01, 2015, 07:30:19 PM »
Yesterday I had the pleasure of sharing with Leo three dragonfruit that were new to me.  I had the first fruit off my Asunta plant, and I wanted to share that with Leo, and at the same time I had a ripe fruit of Connie Meyer.  I brought the Connie Meyer along since the flowers and fruit of Asunta and Connie Meyer are indistinguishable to me and I was unable to use the pollen of one to pollinate the other. Quite by happenstance, Leo had a ripe fruit on his “Bruni” plant which is a sister to Connie Meyer.  The unusual thing about all three of these dragonfruit is that they have red-pink flowers as opposed to the standard white flowers in Hylocereus. 

I also brought along a fruit from my Selenicereus (now Hylocereus) setaceus for us to sample.

The Asunta, Bruni and Connie Meyer were all medium sized, white fleshed fruits with a very pale pink-green exterior, so much so that for my fruits I had a hard time deciding if they were ripe. They started to color up like my other dragon fruit then stopped. After 60 days post flowering and more that two weeks without any further color development I decided that I would take the chance that they were ripe. Fortunately they were.

The Bruni was a nice fruit  slightly bland-sweet  but with a wonderful floral rose-like perfume to it. After tasting cactus apples with that same perfume and thinking that it would be very nice to find it in a dragonfruit, I was pleasantly surprised. Brix reading was 21 for this fruit and I quite enjoyed it. Especially for a white fleshed fruit.

Next was Connie Meyer.  It was tasty, also pleasantly sweet with a bit of tang to it and tasting  much like the Bruni, but without the floral perfume.  I also liked this one, it is a very good white fruit and will definitely stay in the collection. The brix reading was 20 for this fruit

Third tasted was the Asunta. For me, this fruit was clearly a step above the first two, with a well balanced sweet tanginess to it and flavors of green grapes and honeydew.  Easily the best white fleshed dragonfruit I have tasted to date, and kudos to Edgar Valdivia for creating such a fine hybrid. Definitely a keeper, and one that I would suggest adding to your collection. The brix was 20 for this fruit.

Finally, we tried the setaceus. It is a small fruit, about 200 grams (7ounces), smooth skinned with small fins and spines around the bottom half of the fruit that easily brush off when the fruit is ripe. the interior of the fruit is pink, with a texture that is like a cross between a cactus apple and a dragonfruit (not as crisp as the dragonfruit, nor as mucilagenous as a cactus apple. I find them very sweet, although the brix reading was only 18, with a very complex flavor of grapes and kiwi, and my daughter suggested pineapple.  In my opinion, this is a top tier fruit, and can hold its own with any of the red or pink dragonfruit out there.

Connie Meyer

Bruni

Asunta

Asunta flower
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:40:15 PM by Rtreid »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: October 01, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
Thanks!!!  I have been waiting for a report on Connie Mayer fruit taste.

Big bonus is getting information on Bruni and Asunti!!!   :)

pogonsili

• new jersey, philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 02, 2015, 04:34:15 AM »
Anyone with cuttings of Asunta available? Thank you.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #1417 on: October 02, 2015, 04:58:41 AM »
Pitahaya Fruit (Dragon Fruit) varieties on display today at UC Hansen Agricultural Research Center in Santa Paula, CA.

Special Pitahaya/Dragon Fruit Field Day.

The first cultivar is very different from the other...smaller, yellow, very uncommon :)

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 02, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »
Wish there were festivals like that in Denmark, but I gotta do with the white DF I can buy here at my local supermarket and my own AB dragonfruit plant. Cant wait till I can hopefully taste a fresh one :)

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 02, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »
Or you could be careless while tying them to your post and break off the tip unintentionally. That's about 3' shorter than it's supposed to be. Grrrr.:

Here's an interesting (at least to me :D) update on this. Here's a "normal" section of DF stem, backlit by the sun:

I can see some a prominent vein/core running through the middle, and just some ghostly wisps of vascular tissue going to the thorn sites.

But that piece of stem that I broke off 2-3 weeks is pushing new growth out of 3 thorn sites:

Now I see thicker/darker veins going to those sites. One of these days (when I have excess plant material) I'm going to dissect a piece and see what it looks like inside.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 02, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
Now I see thicker/darker veins going to those sites. One of these days (when I have excess plant material) I'm going to dissect a piece and see what it looks like inside.

What you are seeing is the plant's main stem.

This is what the inside stem looks like when exposed. No problem.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 02, 2015, 11:13:54 PM »

Here's what a fresh core looks like

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 03, 2015, 02:20:22 AM »
2015 Hansen Pitahaya Research Tour
September 29, 2015, Fillmore, California

YouTube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEIGVRzYcu0

University of California Ventura County Pitahaya/Dragon Fruit Research Field.
1/3 acre — trellis support hedge
10 rows — 160 feet long
7 - 8 feet between rows
3 plants same variety per unit
10 different varieties, approx. 160 plants total
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:23:43 AM by ricshaw »

Dezperado

• Algarve, Portugal,11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 03, 2015, 05:03:44 AM »

Here's what a fresh core looks like

Excellent

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 03, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »
Here's a link to their web page on Selenicereus megalanthus.

I picked up one of these during the Foothill CRFG's field trip to La Verne Nursery in Fillmore:

It had a 14" stem that was growing out horizontally, so I cut it off at the joint and planted it:

I know lots of people like to callus them for a few days, but I'm 6/6 on cuttings that I've planted immediately, and they've all been cut at the joints where there's less wet tissue.

ricford, the plant to the left is the Physical Graffiti you gave me last weekend. It looks like it's put on another 1-2 inches already! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:45:58 PM by TheWaterbug »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk