Author Topic: Soursop Pollination  (Read 19495 times)

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop Pollination
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 06:38:44 PM »
Tuan,

Congrats in your Soursop bloom!....My Soursop tree has set fruit without any hand pollination as well!....

Are those Namwah banana plants blooming on the background?.....Congrats for your nice fruit trees collection that you have!....Thanks for sharing the pictures!....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:40:22 PM by HMelendez »

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 11:59:40 AM »
Wow! Nice tree Melendez. It's so big and beautiful!!!!

Mine is 1/10 of your side. LOL.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
Hey Tuan,
It's good to see you on here again, it's been a while. You emailed me about your garden in VA. Have you gotten any of my messages? If you get a chance please hit me up by pm. :)

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 12:43:57 AM »
Hi Phil,

I just sent you an email.

Thanks
Tuan

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 12:59:07 PM »
They grow fast!

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
 Wow, they look delicious already.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 11:24:55 PM »
Thank you for this thread, it is really wonderful to track the progress. I am hoping my guanabana will flower this year - it is just at that borderline where it might be big enough, and has been quite healthy - and it really helps to see how it will work when it does! That will feel like such a long time though to be able to eat the fruit... it flowered it seems in Sept, and by Jan you knew you had fruit, and now it's mid-April and you still haven't eaten it yet! Patience is so hard, especially when you're only expecting 2 fruit or so to finally be able to harvest at the end. But I hope you feel very satisfied nonetheless at the accomplishment of a fruiting tree! Hopefully each year after will bring bigger and bigger crops!

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
As today (July 2nd, 2016), after two years, a first soursop fruit ripe. Three more fruit still hang on the tree. The tree grows so fast. It is reaching my greenhouse roof top.
This is my first time eating a soursop fruit without sugar added. It's kind of sour. It lives to its name. It tastes much better with sugar and ice mixing together.

Cheer,

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 12:44:25 AM »
As today (July 2nd, 2016), after two years, a first soursop fruit ripe. Three more fruit still hang on the tree. The tree grows so fast. It is reaching my greenhouse roof top.
This is my first time eating a soursop fruit without sugar added. It's kind of sour. It lives to its name. It tastes much better with sugar and ice mixing

Hi Tuan,

Do you remember what month your tree had flowers? Your first fruit looked awesome ! I am jealous to your green thumb. I have one soursop that as tall as your tree first purchased. I don't think my is grafted one because I don't see the graft line. I wonder when my tree will bear fruit.

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »
Hi Dragon,

The flower buds were formed around August. They bloomed in November, but the little fruits look like dead for nearly two months. After that they grew slowly til ripe. Good luck with your plant Dragon. I heard that seeding plants can fruit in two years.

Cheer

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
Hi Dragon,

The flower buds were formed around August. They bloomed in November, but the little fruits look like dead for nearly two months. After that they grew slowly til ripe. Good luck with your plant Dragon. I heard that seeding plants can fruit in two years.

Cheer

Thanks for the infor, Tuan. It gives me hope and I am looking forward to the next coming months.

bahayKubo

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 01:19:09 AM »
HI,
I have a question.  What do you use to heat your greenhouse. How do you keep your greenhouse warm.  I'm planning to buy a greenhouse and want to know how to keep the temp at 60 degrees

thanx

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 11:36:57 PM »

bahayKubo

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »
Forum -  Thank you for the thread(info)...

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 11:47:05 PM »
The question are:

Is Soursop self-fertile or not?

If yes, does it need hand-pollination?

The two things are different....A. cherymoya likes hand pollination, but big tree, not in pot, will produce also without hand pollination...

Ciao Delvi,
Soursop IS SELF FERTILE.
And manual pollination is HELPFUL BUT NOT NECESSARY
Leggi qua:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25224.msg295459#msg295459
Lorenzo

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »
Forum -  Thank you for the thread(info)...

If your greenhouse is in SoCal you will have a much easier time because you are zone 9/10. Tuan is zone 7 much cooler in winter. Natural gas is cheaper than electric.

yuhu

• Ukraine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2023, 05:36:05 AM »
The article also stated that the male's pollen is viable for just a few hours and can't be used on the same flower that was previously
female.
Not possible if the flower already switched to the male stage. But there is a technic that allows to pollinate a flower by its own pollen in female stage (but close to male stage). It is useful in case your tree produces flowers with some interval that doesn't allow for regular pollination.
Pollen is ready even before a flower switches to the male stage. You have to break the anthers formation and pollinate the flower right away.

Here is a video how to do it. Process starts at 0:50.
https://youtu.be/xBTTl0uhSO0

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
Yuhu, great link! Does anyone know how to tell when the flower is mature enough for this technique? I do t speak Spanish.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2023, 10:12:44 AM »
Perfect timing this thread popped up today. Yesterday I was watering the plants I overwinter indoors and noticed a fruit forming on my tree. The tree started flowering early fall and there’s never been more than one flower open at a time. I’ve also done zero hand pollination. So I have no clue how this happened