Author Topic: Kumquat lacking flavor  (Read 1271 times)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Kumquat lacking flavor
« on: March 17, 2019, 02:08:44 PM »
I have a 15 year old, in ground, meiwa kumquat that is very productive. However it tastes flat, mealy even.  Even back in December.  Is there a cultural aspect I am missing? It gets ample sun and it watered well.  It is fertilized 3 or 4 times a year along with my other citrus.  I recently pruned it so it would get sun to the middle of the tree to let it bush out in the middle rather than get leggy.  My other citrus tasted fine. Here is a pic with the 7 foot fence it is planted next to. I appreciate any comments.  Thanks

Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Kumquat lacking flavor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »
My meiwa was exactly the same way with its first batch of fruit, and occasionally after that.  However the rest of the crops were excellent - juicy and flavorful.  I have no idea what the cause of the variance is.  I suspect a period of poor conditions may be the reason.

Is this the first time you’ve tasted it in 15yrs?  Don’t give up hope yet, try it next crop.

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 03:10:46 PM »
No, I’ve been eating them out of hand and in numerous marmalade batches for over a decade but the past two years have been less than stellar.  I have had some sort of mite damage that may be impacting flavor. 

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »
Might be a potassium deficiency. Try to fertilize with an organic high in potassium but low on nitrogen. Something like 3-3-12

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
Your tree needs fertilizer.  Ever apply any?

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:36:22 AM »
Your tree needs fertilizer.  Ever apply any?
I do fertilize with cottonseed meal and micro-life 4 or 5 times/year (January, Mothers day, fathers day and once more in July).  Maybe these organic fertilizers don't pack the punch needed. 

Tree does looks leggy.  I just pruned the top off of it since I couldn't reach up there. Mostly I pruned it so more light would come into the center of the tree and let it bush out more.