Author Topic: Insect Free Tree  (Read 3496 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Insect Free Tree
« on: September 02, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
The temperature has been in the nineties for most of the month, and mealy bug and especially scale has been a problem.  I have found then on Santa Teresa lemon, Dekopon, Cara Cara, Sour Orange and New Zealand Lemonade..  However, for the entire summer not one insect has been found on the Valentine pummelo.  In fact I have never had an insect problem on that tree.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:23:20 PM by Millet »

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: Insect Free Tree
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
Millet, do you know the life cycle of scale, do they start in soil.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 07:40:41 PM »
They spend their entire life on the host plant.  The reproduce on the plant. They are hard to control because reproduction take place under their armor. You have to have something to smother them to kill them. They produce honeydew that attracts other pest and the excrement will feed sooty mold. Neem oil will control them but is not for use when temps are high as they are now.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
did a spray with a chemical my wife use by accident. i use some of her empties for spraying my tree's. It work and did not hurt the tree's. I also use Imidan this past spring that work also, ants gone too.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
Common scale starts as an egg from its mother, usually on the leaves or branches of a plant. The egg then develops into two immature stages called Instars. The first instar stage are known as crawlers.  Crawlers move around the plant and in approximately one day's time settles down permanently on a particular spot of the host plant for the rest of their lives.  Then starts the second immature stage called the 2nd instar stage witch matures into the adult.  The adult causes all the damage to the plant by sucking out the juices of the plant. During periods of high temperatures scale can reproduce quickly.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:50:09 PM by Millet »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 09:25:40 PM »
That tree probably has a better immune system. The efficience of citrus essential oil as an insecticide.They say its as strong as thyme oil here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4015406/
I think it would make a short work of these insects without killing the beneficial ladybugs and without having to spray poisons on the plants.
I just bought from supermarket somme lemmons and at home ive red on the label ,, Warning:Do not eat the peel ! Treated with Tiabendazol and Imazalil .'' .
I wonder how manny people eat these poisons without even knowing of them like when they buy individual lemons at supermarkets where the warning stays on the big crate label wich most people dont read.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:28:28 PM by SeaWalnut »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »
My Valentine pummelo had spider mites along with the rest.  I doubt it is a genetic resistance.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
I also have a pommelo with spider mites.....but the spinosid, light neem oil and miticide have just about done them in. Some mites reprouduce in as little as 20 days. You gotta keep after them if you have a large problem.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:53:30 PM by Bomand »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »
My Valentine pummelo has been in the ground perhaps 5 or 6 years.  I am really not sure.  However, in the time I have been growing it don't remember ever having to spray the tree for insects of any kind.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:43:35 AM »
A systemic insecticide such as thiamethoxam will kill all scale in few days and for good, because they suck the sap and get suffocated. It's a good, one time treatment for all citrus that get into a protected greenhouse.
A side effect is that it will kill bees also. Best is to spray in winter after fruit harvest and during my a non flowering period.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:49:49 AM by lebmung »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
I can see using a systemic as a one time cure all for scale. The collateral damage to other insects would be mimimal. I use a systemic outside also. It has to be reapplied at intervals. I try not to use one that coincides with the bloom....but I will if it becomes a tree survial issue.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 06:40:14 PM »
Bees couldnt care less about somme citrus trees in a greenhouse sprayed with poisons.
It will kill a few bees,maybe a dozzen,but a single queen can lay 2000 eggs in a day.
2000 bees would polinate a small citrus orange in just an hour or maybe less.
The major concern about the poisons its that you kill yourself over time by eating the fruits ( and otthers if you give them fruits)not the bees.
After reading the label on those lemons from supermarket im tempted to finally get one or 2 lemon trees to have my own lemons not treated with pesticides.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »
I find no such labels on supermarket fruit. Tne bagged lemons and citrus have lots of information but not any of the chemicals on the label posted. With the focus on food safety, if one would be poisoned it would probably come from improper use of pesticide. I use caution and adhere to the directions for use. I am not aginst proper pesticide use.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »
I find no such labels on supermarket fruit. Tne bagged lemons and citrus have lots of information but not any of the chemicals on the label posted. With the focus on food safety, if one would be poisoned it would probably come from improper use of pesticide. I use caution and adhere to the directions for use. I am not aginst proper pesticide use.
You dont see such labels because you have less regulations there .

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 08:08:39 PM »
Seawalnut, your label is a good reminder that Romanian is a Romance language, rather than a Slavic language.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 05:01:17 PM »
Bees couldnt care less about somme citrus trees in a greenhouse sprayed with poisons.
It will kill a few bees,maybe a dozzen,but a single queen can lay 2000 eggs in a day.
2000 bees would polinate a small citrus orange in just an hour or maybe less.
The major concern about the poisons its that you kill yourself over time by eating the fruits ( and otthers if you give them fruits)not the bees.
After reading the label on those lemons from supermarket im tempted to finally get one or 2 lemon trees to have my own lemons not treated with pesticides.

Make no sense to fill your space with lemons. Lemons are in supermarket you can buy Bio which are not treated with anything of course 4 times the price for good one, but it is worth it.
Try to grow limes they make all year round and don't need to get yellow.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
Limes produce year-round?  I just heard the opposite, and my experience so far is that they only bloom in spring (mexican, persian)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »
In a follow up to Brian's post. I had a large in ground Bearss Lime tree.  It produced more limes then I could ever begin to use.  It only set one large crop per year, it did not bear fruit throughout the year.  I eventually got rid of the tree to replace it with a Valentine Pummelo due to the amount of space I have available to grown citrus.. Plus I don't use limes very much.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:55:03 AM by Millet »

daytripper

• Long Island, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »
My Persian lime blooms multiple times during the year.  It just started blooming again the other day.  This was the third time it bloomed since it went outside in May.  I have some limes that are just about fully ripened and I have pea sized limes.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »
Day tripper, does your P. Lime only bloom during the summer months?

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 04:21:08 PM »
Limes produce year-round?  I just heard the opposite, and my experience so far is that they only bloom in spring (mexican, persian)

Yes they flower all year round, they don't grow that much during the winter or fruit gets aborted. A small size lime 2 feet high has about 10-14 limes. This is a cutting, a cutting will produce fruit very fast. Grafted on other rootstock they will not flower all the time.

daytripper

• Long Island, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 09:31:44 AM »
Day tripper, does your P. Lime only bloom during the summer months?

It will bloom in the winter but not as often.  I get about 3 blooms from may-sept while it is outside, and maybe 2 the rest of the year while indoors.  While indoors it sits in front of a south facing window with a 4 ft 4 bulb t5 above it which is on 8 hours a day.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
This time i tryed to buy limes from supermarket,instead of lemons.I put them in a bag and right before leaving the fruit sector i see under the limes price tag ,the warning ,,is not recomended to eat the skin,,.
From ,,do not eat the skin,, to ,,its not recomended to eat the skin,, its a short way and probably a marketing trick used to sell their poisonous lemons and limes.
So i got back to the limes box and decided not to buy them since i wanted to use these for cooking trout in aluminum foil and i use the whoole lemon/ limes to flavour the meat.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »
SeaWalnut, the label is not referring to an insecticide, but the caution is because the fruit is washed in a fungicide bath.  Eating the fruit, or using its juice will not harm you in the least.  In my opinion you are being way over cautious. Actually just about all citrus varieties are washed in a fungicide bath, and have a wax coating applied to them, at least in the USA.  By simply washing the fruit in warm water should take care of the situation. However, do what you wish.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:56:45 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 09:58:13 PM »
My self imposed program is to wash all fruit and produce no matter where it comes from. Its just a good healthy practice. If I did not buy the things I need becaus I was afraid that I would be harmed.....I would soon starve to death.