Author Topic: durian seedlings  (Read 5151 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
durian seedlings
« on: December 11, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »
I now have a bunch of durian seeds sprouting.  How sensitive is their taproot and how much room do they need for their first few months?  Sensitive to transplantation?   I normally sprout seeds in 4in square pots that hold maybe a quart of soil and then up-pot from there.   I also have some "citri-pots" that are long and skinny like this that I used for mangosteen and lucs mexican garcinia that have long taproots.

usual pot

"citri-pot"

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: durian seedlings
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
Your "citri-pot" is the better choice.  My experience is that the taproot doesn't like to meet resistance.  Good luck with your seedlings!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »
I actually think that a wider pot is a good idea for the first months.  Some growers will cut the tap root to promote lateral rooting.  Durian does not occur naturally in places that have a long dry season and thus need a long tap root.  A standard 1 gallon pot is what I would use.
Peter

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »
Thanks, I will try a mix of long & skinny and usual containers, as I only have a couple of the skinny pots. 

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »
I totally agree with Finca La Isla that wider pots may be used if the intent is to encourage lateral root growth - particularly if the intent is to ultimately plant them in the ground.  But, unless I'm mistaken, you are in Pennsylvania so you're probably not going to be planting these outside.  I have not had good long-term results when I have cut the tap root on my potted durian, so I leave the tap roots alone and plant in deep, fairly narrow pots with a well-draining mix.  They like constantly moist soil but they hate soggy soil.

Regards,
Scott   

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 01:41:18 PM »
I will most likely plant one in the ground eventually, but I'd have to build another greenhouse.  They'll have to stay in containers for at least a couple years.  This is mostly an experiment to see if durian can thrive this far north.  I have heat, automatic drip irrigation, and high humidity, but I don't know if they will tolerate the low light levels in winter. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:43:31 PM by brian »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »

So these are some grafted durians in my nursery. Durian is not a fast grower but my intention would be to keep these trees in these pots for maybe another four months or so. To keep for much longer I’d go to at least a 3 gallon pot. Actually the ones you see are likely to get planted out within the next 2 months with a commitment to very good care.
Peter

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 02:04:07 PM »
I'm told that seedling durian are under-story plants, so low light shouldn't be an issue.  I have 15 durian seedlings (Chanee, Ganyao, kutajensis, graveolens, and kinabaluensis) planted in the ground under a large oak tree in my yard.  They seem to enjoy the partial shade when they are young.  What they don't seem to enjoy is winter in Florida LOL!  But they have survived for 2 years now.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »

So these are some grafted durians in my nursery. Durian is not a fast grower but my intention would be to keep these trees in these pots for maybe another four months or so. To keep for much longer I’d go to at least a 3 gallon pot. Actually the ones you see are likely to get planted out within the next 2 months with a commitment to very good care.
Peter

Beautiful trees!  You're very lucky to be in a climate that supports them!!!

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
You’re not so far from where Bill Whitman fruited mangosteen so...  Though he claimed that his beach/estuary created a micro climate unique to the region.
Luck doesn’t have anything to do with it.  We make a huge sacrifice to be here. 😂
I hope you guys can keep your durians from freezing.  I’d shoot for a ph of about 6-6.5
Suerte
Peter

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
Do durian trees fruit significantly faster when grafted versus seedlings?  If so I'll just get a grafted one if my seedlings survive long enough for me to be confident this is viable.

EDIT - I had never heard of Bill Whitman, google turned up this article:  https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/04/us/04whitman.html

"William F. Whitman Jr., a self-taught horticulturist who became renowned for collecting rare tropical fruits from around the world and popularizing them in the United States, died Wednesday at his home in Bal Harbour, Fla. He was 92."

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 02:55:41 PM »
I'm told that grafted durian trees do fruit faster.  That's reasonable.  But I'm also told that there are several varieties that can bear fruit from seed in 3-5 years in optimal conditions.  Who knows....  I'll just be happy if my trees reach 3-5 years of age.   Mangosteen appears to be significantly easier than durian in my extremely limited experience.  I don't have a fruiting mangosteen (yet) but I do have mangosteen growing happily in the ground right next to the very cold and unhappy durian seedlings.  Temperatures have been as low as the mid-50s here, and that doesn't seem to have bothered the mangosteen at all.  It's really wreaked havoc on the durian, tho.  Oh well - tough love.  I don't want a tree I have to pamper, so I'm admittedly pretty rough on my durian.   

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 03:07:02 PM »
Is durian harmed at 55F?  Or simply doesn't grow?  I have my greenhouse heater set at 55F and all my tropicals are fine so far.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »
William Whitman was a friend of mine. He visited my project in CR many times and I stayed at his house in Miami.
On average durian seedlings will take 7-12 years to fruit.
Grafted trees 5-6 years. I’ve never heard of a seedling producing in 3 years.
Perhaps durians can take 55, I don’t know. At best they’ll probably go dormant at that temp.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 04:59:33 PM »
Some seedlings produce in around 8 or 9 years but its usually much longer for durian and grafted trees rarely produce before 6 years.Not many if any D.zibethinus cant handle 55f and there is a wide range of cold tolerance between varieties. 50f as a winter minimum is fine for most with a few exceptions and the more cold tolerant varieties are ok down to 40f.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »
Thanks for clarification.  If my "ultra tropicals" do okay I'll eventually put them in their own greenhouse, where I can leave the temperature at 60F or whatever makes sense.   I haven't been able to find any clear examples of fruit trees that are damaged below 55F. I was only growing citrus until last year so I still have a lot to learn.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »
My 3 red prawn seedlings are going into their 4th winter they seem fairly tough.One has a cullenia excelsa grafted to it,to see if it helps.
Letting them go dry is the worst thing I lost one to dry spell and set the others back.
Also 1 durio graveolens doing well but slower it is a very dark red fleshed.
All direct sowed in ground.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:41:35 PM by shot »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 07:04:32 PM »
I have a red prawn that is setting fruit now.
https://www.agrifutures.com.au/wp-content/uploads/publications/02-091.pdf
This paper shows an evaluation of a few durian clones about 20 years ago and looks at features that may interest durian enthusiasts.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 08:42:04 PM »
I'm placing most of my hopes on D. kinabulensis.  It seems the least affected by the winter temps.  The others have lost leaves and look pretty unhappy despite regular watering.  I'm on sand, so I've given them all lots of gypsum and time-release fertilizer.  Hopefully, they'll perk up again once the weather warms up.  We'll see.  I'm just hoping they survive.  This is the first batch that has actually made it to the 2 year mark.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
D.kinabulensis might not be the selection of choice for the Durio connoisseur.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 06:06:23 AM »

I completely agree :-)  But if the choice is fresh kinabulensis vs. some hideous frozen Mong Thong it may be an easier choice to make.  Anyway, we'll see what happens.  I'd love to fruit durian here, but 8 years worth of failed trials doesn't leave me very hopeful.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
Thanks for the link Mike T.Aussie have a paper on alt root stocks for artocarpus,Josh might have it.
 I wish they had included humidity values data.But they do have a lot of important data in that paper
A note on ph values 5.6 5.8, I might want to bump mine down as I'm at 6.5 it used to be very low.
 I still see my biggest failure was letting them get drought stressed as it's taken months to get over that.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »
I will most likely plant one in the ground eventually, but I'd have to build another greenhouse.  They'll have to stay in containers for at least a couple years.  This is mostly an experiment to see if durian can thrive this far north.  I have heat, automatic drip irrigation, and high humidity, but I don't know if they will tolerate the low light levels in winter.
There was somebody years past growing durians in pots in Maryland, close to DC. He brought the plants into his garage during winter. They survived well as house plants. But ofcourse fruiting them in cold climates is a different story.
The durian is easy to transplant as long as you give them some extra shade and TLC after transplanting. I use one gallon pots to start them off. My latest technique is to transplant them directly into the ground after they get 1 foot tall in their gallon pots. They go into wire cages with shade cloth in the ground. Once the plants top the 4 foot tall cages then the cage comes off.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 04:17:21 PM »
How do you know? Have you tried it? Have a friend that was just in Borneo and ate a bunch and he told me they were really great.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 04:21:24 PM »
Common knowledge is that grafted durians produce faster than seedling durians. But with a planting of about 30 durins trees here unfortunately that has not been my experience. Both the seedlings and the grafts started to fruit in about 10 years. I'm thinking people give grafted trees more attention, and that's what really gets them to fruit much faster. All my trees were treated the same, not much fert, and no pruning.
Oscar

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »
Mike T, are you using a fungicide?  My plants often succumb this time of year to what appears to be leaf anthracnose.  I've tried Bayer Advanced and copper but it doesn't seem to make much difference.  New leaves are still infected, and young shoots still die off.  If it wasn't for the anthracnose, I think the plants would actually be OK.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
http://dev.territorystories.nt.gov.au/jspui/bitstream/10070/230332/1/Durian.pdf
Oscar I assume with such small fruit with scant flesh there is every chance it is no prize. Lim/Kostermans Table 5 in the attachment did not list it as one of the 9 edible species and Lim is perhaps the world authority on Durio. This was based on Kostermans observations. I have not tried it myself.
I don't use fungicide on my durians and have no problems with disease just insects.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 10:00:01 PM »
Interesting observation.  With Jakfruit I’m convinced that seedlings can fruit even faster than grafted trees.  But with durian the grafted trees can develop rapidly.  They might fruit quickest without pruning but it seems worthwhile to shape the grafted trees, create an efficient scaffold for fruit production
In very traditional farms like in Balik Pulau on Penang pruning to shape is unusual while planting of grafted trees is pretty much what everyone is doing.  Everyone agrees that grafted trees produce quicker but more important is the fruit quality that comes from the clone selections.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 10:45:46 PM »
I just went out in the midday sun to take some pics.
Jackfruit seedlings can fruit quickly in some varieties. The leaning J33 seedling below fruited at 2 years old but so did the grafted amber in the second pic.
The durians posted below are:
Marcotted limberlost -fruited at 4 years
grafted penang 88- fruited at 6 years
grafted Red Prawn - fruited at 7 years
grafted gumpun- fruited at 5 years
grafted luang -fruited at 6 years.
These are a little quicker than usual to produce fruit.I have seen many seedlings at 10 to 12 years old that have not yet flowered and I wouldn't be surprised if the average for first flowering is over 10 yo.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 05:49:07 AM »
Shot,

you're just "up the street" from me.  Are you experiencing any issues with leaf anthracnose?  If so, what are you using?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »
Nice work,Mike.
On Penang they always insist that the trees have to be old to produce good quality durian.  I’m wondering what you think about that and how the Penang varieties that you guys are growing in Oz differ from the durians produced in Malaysia.
Thanks, Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 10:11:25 PM »
http://dev.territorystories.nt.gov.au/jspui/bitstream/10070/230332/1/Durian.pdf
Oscar I assume with such small fruit with scant flesh there is every chance it is no prize. Lim/Kostermans Table 5 in the attachment did not list it as one of the 9 edible species and Lim is perhaps the world authority on Durio. This was based on Kostermans observations. I have not tried it myself.
I don't use fungicide on my durians and have no problems with disease just insects.
Mike, it's definitely very edible and it's definitely a prize, especially given its cold hardiness. This is based on a group of friends that went to Mt. Kinabaluensis and ate a whole bunch of them. Micah is one of those people and is on this forum, so i'll try to get him to post about his first hand experience with Durio kinabaluensis.
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2019, 01:13:47 AM »

That's good to know.  What's your annual rainfall, and is it supplemented by irrigation for your durian trees?

Here's a write up from Year of The Durian that is favorable for Durio "K".   https://www.yearofthedurian.com/2014/10/mount-kinabalu-and-its-durian-durio.html

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 01:20:41 AM »
Aloha fruit friends and fiends! :)
Went on an amazing durio tour in Borneo with Lindsay Gasik aka durianwriter.  I highly recommend taking a trip with her.   We gots to try many types of species and with each there was lots of variation.
Durio Kinabaluensis was a small fruit with kinda scant pulp...sort of like Durio graveolens ....but the flavor was delicious.  I preferred them more than the different graveolens, kura kura, the small oxylanus, and dulcis. They were sweet, and exquisite.
Worthy to grow for sure, but one fruit won’t get one person full.  Nothing like the copious amount of flesh a Durio zib has.  Hard to beat zibithinus in flavor too.  Some of the lowianus was close second favorite, then large oxylanus, then Kinabalu for flavor.
Heres a couple pics of Kinabaluensis

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 01:38:24 AM »
Fair enough Micah it looks as though my assumption was wrong.It may be a contender to try and cross with a more cold hardy D,zib variety and try and get the best of all worlds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2019, 05:59:39 AM »
Fair enough Micah it looks as though my assumption was wrong.It may be a contender to try and cross with a more cold hardy D,zib variety and try and get the best of all worlds.
Mike, it seems to me that you jump to too many conclusions based on old Australian publications. This species is worthwhile on its own, and also as possible candidate as rootstock to possibly increase hardiness. Ofcourse hybridizing is also another possible angle. I would be surprised if it's not already been done somewhere in Borneo.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2019, 06:18:01 AM »
Here are some taste reports of another fellow that was on same trip with Lindsey and Micah to Mount Kinabaluensis.
Here is what he said on the spot during texting me while eating Durio kinabaluensis.
"Oh man, it is so delicious! It was my favorite of all of them so far. Didn't even really taste like durian. No funk or fuel. Tasted like the most delicious floral candy imaginable.
Later towards the end of the same trip i asked him what his favorites were of the non zybethinus durio species he tried.
"Favorites were kinabaluensis and graveolens. Kutejensis are not so unique... Kura kura (testudinarum) and dulcis...  bizarre, wouldn't want to eat too often...
Oxyleanus I liked a lot but they're intense... fuely"
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »
"Fuely" Does that mean rich, caloric?

Thank you, Micah for sharing your impressions.  What a great experience, sampling several unusual durio species straight from the source.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »
There’s a lot of variation and it is so subjective.  We had oxyleanus on the peninsula and then on the Bay of Brunei, very different.  The Borneo oxyleanus was one of our best experiences.  The kutejensis from the agro park of Tenom was phenomenal. We ate a lot of graveleons and there is a lot of variety there too.
The point is that none of these should be dismissed on the basis of one persons experience or limited sampling.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »
There’s a lot of variation and it is so subjective.  We had oxyleanus on the peninsula and then on the Bay of Brunei, very different.  The Borneo oxyleanus was one of our best experiences.  The kutejensis from the agro park of Tenom was phenomenal. We ate a lot of graveleons and there is a lot of variety there too.
The point is that none of these should be dismissed on the basis of one persons experience or limited sampling.
Peter
Agreed, lots of diversity inside each durio species. That's why it's best to plant a lot more than one, if you have the room. I have fruiting oxleyanus and mine are quite good in my opinion. But it's different when you can taste them all in one big fell swoop side by side.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »

Thank you, Micah for sharing your impressions.  What a great experience, sampling several unusual durio species straight from the source.
No, he didn't mean rich or caloric. I just asked him and his reply:
"Not quite solvent and not quite kerosene but just something Feuly"
I think he means a bit of a turpentine taste.
Oscar

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2019, 11:51:12 PM »
It was quite a durio extravaganza.  Awesome to do a trip with a bunch of peeps, that way we could sample so many types in a sitting without wasting or going broke.
Yes ,there was so much diversity in each species. Just when I thought red graveolens wasn’t that good ,we tried some that were savory ...more like avocado...and good

I think he meant durio dulcis when he said FUELY.   Alll one can do when describing a flavor is say “like” something else...but once u try dulcis...then it’s hard to forget.  It’s got a menthol like taste strong Vick’s menthol/paint thinner smell. Sweet and good, but very pungent powerful.   Too powerful of a smell to be kept in a hot van for too long...even for durio lovers.
Maybe some of graveolens had similar flavor/smell
Dulcis Pics

No, he didn't mean rich or caloric. I just asked him and his reply:
"Not quite solvent and not quite kerosene but just something Feuly"
I think he means a bit of a turpentine taste.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »
over two months later, the first durian seedling pulled its way out of the seed coat and put out leaves.   They were growing so slowly I thought they were dead.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »
over two months later, the first durian seedling pulled its way out of the seed coat and put out leaves.   They were growing so slowly I thought they were dead.

Pit them in a bigger pot with acid soil ( maybe see my thread about iron pan soil) and keep them wet and fertilise it strong.
Use rain water or not verry alkaline water.