Author Topic: selling seeds: araçá-una / black strawberry guava (psidium eugeniaefolia)  (Read 4398 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Hi, I have the pleasure to tell you that two plants (4 years old, 1.5m tall) beared fruits at this 2018 season.

So I will have some seeds for selling in some days by february, the flavour is similar to strawberry guava but I find some tropical guava taste (and psidium australe too) that I dont find into my strawberry guavas. When it is overripe, it tastes to jaboticaba too. Brasilians use to do an icecream with it, many people on the net wrote that it is the best icecream they ever tasted.

Interesting features: they smell strong like tropical guavas (but it reminds me a pomelo perfume), not like strawberry guavas, 14º to 16º Brix (sweet), what is quite remarkable for such an acid fruit.

Araçá-una / black strawberry guava or purple forest guava (psidium eugeniaefolia)

10 seeds: 14 USD
20 seeds: 25 USD
40 seeds: 45 USD
80 seeds: 80 USD
100 seeds: 90 USD

(I accept bitcoins or paypal, thanks.)

Photos of our plant and fruits ripening:

The next photos are not from my plants, I will take photos later.

It is a very pretty plant, bushy, shiny leaves, and you even can do a nice tea out of its leaves, that smell super nice.

Fabio

• Croatia, Istra USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Is more or less cold tolerant than psidium cattleianum?

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
The inside of arazá-una or black arazá (black strawberry guava): my favourite fruit right now:

juicy, acid and sweet. Something to remark: I like eating the skin of this fruits, its bitter taste is not too bitter and it's aromatic, so it ads a nice flavour to the pulp. Near the seeds, it is far more acidic (similar to some plums).

More info: http://iufost.org.br/sites/iufost.org.br/files/anais/02816.pdf

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Is more or less cold tolerant than psidium cattleianum?

It should be less hardy to freezes. But I planted one of them into a greenhouse at a place that gets -6º C on winter, and this plant suffered for sure -2ºC or -3º C with not damage at all,while the biribá and chachafruto almost die.

So I think it could take -4º C or -5ºC

Helton thinks similar to me:

" É de fácil cultivo, pois se adapta a diversos tipos de clima e solo. Pode ser cultivada desde o nível do mar até 2.000 m de altitude onde o clima é frio e com nebrina. Os índices de chuvas podem variar de 1.200 a 2.500 mm anuais, com a umidade do ar variando de 65 a 95%. Os solos que essa espécie prefere são: os cambissolos (arenosos e ricos em matéria orgânica, planossolos (terras de planícies do Rio Grande do sul), latossolo (terra vermelha ou terra amarelada) ou qualquer terreno que tenham as mesmas características de serem bem drenados, profundos e com boa fertilidade natural e tenham pH variando de 5,5 a 6,2. É resistente a mínimas de até - 4 graus e a 5 ou 6 meses de seca, suportando também um breve período de encharcamento ou enchentes."

But where he leaves it could not be less than -4ºC... so we will test it here at -6ºC next winter.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
Hello! I've a couple of little seedlings from seeds i bought on internet and coming from argentina.
I thought they were Red Strawberry guava (psidium cattleianum) but now i start to suspect they are actually psidium eugeniaefolia since on the little envelope they were labelled as araza-una.
If i post some pictures could you help me to identify them?
Thank you!
Lorenzo

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Is this species recalcitrant? Can they be dried?
Anisha

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Hello! I've a couple of little seedlings from seeds i bought on internet and coming from argentina.
I thought they were Red Strawberry guava (psidium cattleianum) but now i start to suspect they are actually psidium eugeniaefolia since on the little envelope they were labelled as araza-una.
Thank you!

Yes, too late, we identified them in other post: if the leaves have a nice smell, they could be eugeniaefolia. If no smell, no.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
Thank you!

Yes, too late, we identified them in other post: if the leaves have a nice smell, they could be eugeniaefolia. If no smell, no.

Thank you  :)
Lorenzo