Author Topic: Dream Atemoya, a variety that fruits in FL ! Introduced by Wayne Clifton  (Read 116495 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Atemoya, a variety that fruits in FL ! Introduced by Wayne Clifton
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2018, 01:47:53 AM »
Hello from Hawaii

Adam (flying fox fruits) sent me “dream” scions about 3-4 years ago and I was able to graft them on to cherimoya rootstock.   Fast forward a few years and I got my first fruits this fall. 3 to be exact.  I definitely had to hand pollinate, and I bagged the fruits. 

But WOW! The flavor of this fruit is amazing.  Probably the best atemoya I’ve ever had.  And yeah I’m gonna go ahead and say this is an atemoya just based on the shape of the fruit and the large lumpy shoulders it had.   Very few seeds. Great consistency.  Just wow. Worth all the effort

With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2018, 02:28:13 AM »
When would be the best time to graft this in S.Fl.
Www.sailing-charters.org

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
Frank,

What variety are those two fruits? Are they Dream atemoya? They look very tasty and great looking fruit to boot.

Vincent.

Hey Vince
Here in SoCal we call dream by its original name Arka Sahan....we believe they are the same variety

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:19:53 PM by JF »

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »
Frank,

What variety are those two fruits? Are they Dream atemoya? They look very tasty and great looking fruit to boot.

Vincent.

Hey Vince
Here in SoCal we call dream by its original name Arka Sahan....we believe they are the same variety

Hey JF, how are the dream in SoCal? I have some growing from seed right now (im in norcal) should I grow to maturity or use at root stalk in your opinion?
-Kris

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
Frank,

Vincent.

Hey Vince

Hey JF, how are the dream in SoCal? I have some growing from seed right now (im in norcal) should I grow to maturity or use at root stalk in your opinion?
Arka Sahan are delicious unfortunately are not true to seeds you will have to graft them. My anona sale is in March 2019

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
lol Dream is a seedling, so it's not the same.

Frank,

Vincent.

Hey Vince

Arka Sahan are delicious unfortunately are not true to seeds you will have to graft them. My anona sale is in March 2019
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #331 on: November 08, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
I wonder if anyone can verify if they had distributed budwood of Arka to South America (Peru) soon after it had been released?

I suppose Dream could have been a seedling of Arka that stayed true, I've seen this happen with some of the variable atemoyas that are not true from seed, like Lisa (48-26)...so every now and then you get a seedling that is just like the parent, or not much different, from a tree that normally produces highly variable offspring.

Wayne said he planted the original Dream from seed, and he's not a liar.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
I wonder if anyone can verify if they had distributed budwood of Arka to South America (Peru) soon after it had been released?

I suppose Dream could have been a seedling of Arka that stayed true, I've seen this happen with some of the variable atemoyas that are not true from seed, like Lisa (48-26)...so every now and then you get a seedling that is just like the parent, or not much different, from a tree that normally produces highly variable offspring.

Hey Adam
Scions can get mixed up and varieties renamed by mistake it happens all the time but as I remember Dream was advertised as dream cherimoya which is absolutely false. This is clearly an atemoya whatever name you want to call it.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »

Hey Adam
Scions can get mixed up and varieties renamed by mistake it happens all the time but as I remember Dream was advertised as dream cherimoya which is absolutely false. This is clearly an atemoya whatever name you want to call it.

it being a seedling of Arka that stayed somewhat true is a logical explanation, if indeed, Wayne didn't mix things up.

i think everyone pretty much agreed a long time ago that it's most likely an atemoya. 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
i remember reading arka sahan wasnt a f1 cross to begin with

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile

Hey Adam

it being a seedling of Arka that stayed somewhat true is a logical explanation, if indeed, Wayne didn't mix things up.

i think everyone pretty much agreed a long time ago that it's most likely an atemoya.

My apologies for reviving an old post, but I find this identification process fascinating! The visual comparison of the 'dream' varietal to other varietals is ambiguous enough that this thread continued for 6 years before an identification was made, with the 'dream' mother tree likely being named years before that.

What puzzles me is that the most unique feature of the 'dream' varietal was that it was able to survive to 20F or lower, and to my beginners understanding was an extremely novel feature. To my knowledge, only Asiminas and Mountain annonas were able to achieve this feat of lower temperature survival. Was the arka sahan known for being able to survive to 20F before the 'dream' was discovered? Aside from the data on the 'dream' atemoya located in this thread, I'm otherwise unable to find any data on the arka sahan cold hardiness.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2020, 06:36:13 AM »
Anyone getting reliable crops from dream annona/ is it a good producer?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 17, 2020, 11:29:52 AM »
Yes I got fruit the past 2 years without hand pollination.
My Tim and Lisa produced more last year. The dream is a smaller
tree.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 17, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »
Man, is there any way I could trade or purchase Dream scions or even seeds from, anybody? I'm dying to grow a cold hardy annona here in North Fl. Its like ya'll are torturing me for living here.

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
How thick are the leaves of 'Dream' versus other cherimoyas? There are many hints that there's something special with this variety (the cold tolerance, the relative lack of seeds, that it fruits reliably without hand-pollination, that I've heard it's a bit difficult to graft but does better on its own offspring). I'm wondering if the leaves are approximately 50% thicker than a normal cherimoya - this would indicate a ploidy difference ;)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
The leaves are not significantly thicker than other Cherimoya.
I have a few Dream tree’s in the ground and no luck with them being self pollinating here in Nor Cal.
Still no fruits after a bunch of years they’ve flowered.
I tried a self pollinating one in Hawaii and delicious fruit.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
How thick are the leaves of 'Dream' versus other cherimoyas? There are many hints that there's something special with this variety (the cold tolerance, the relative lack of seeds, that it fruits reliably without hand-pollination, that I've heard it's a bit difficult to graft but does better on its own offspring). I'm wondering if the leaves are approximately 50% thicker than a normal cherimoya - this would indicate a ploidy difference ;)
I have heard of several forum members that have lost their dreams to cold at much
higher temps then 19F. Just a reminder there are factors to consider on cold nights.
We were 29F one morning last year and there was no frost and minimal damage to
any trees. There was a very strong wind all night. A couple years ago we had a 30F night
and I had allot of damage to leaves on several trees. Another big factor is length of time
the tree is exposed to cold. I know one person said his dream died at 25 or 26F one night.

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
The leaves are not significantly thicker than other Cherimoya.
I have a few Dream tree’s in the ground and no luck with them being self pollinating here in Nor Cal.
Still no fruits after a bunch of years they’ve flowered.
I tried a self pollinating one in Hawaii and delicious fruit.

Okay good to hear.

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
I have heard of several forum members that have lost their dreams to cold at much
higher temps then 19F. Just a reminder there are factors to consider on cold nights.
We were 29F one morning last year and there was no frost and minimal damage to
any trees. There was a very strong wind all night. A couple years ago we had a 30F night
and I had allot of damage to leaves on several trees. Another big factor is length of time
the tree is exposed to cold. I know one person said his dream died at 25 or 26F one night.

Of course - there are many more factors than just genetics to frost tolerance :) But I think it sounds like good genetics.