Author Topic: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)  (Read 174568 times)

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)
« Reply #450 on: January 09, 2020, 07:59:24 AM »
My top 5, from someone who has never had a good mango (or really any other tropical fruit, other than the couple I had in the just-a-little-too-early-in-the-season trip to Puerto Rico):
1. Cacao
2. Brandywine tomato (homegrown, with a bit of salt and pepper, heavenly)
3. Alpine strawberry/homegrown raspberry (I had alpine strawberries once, in Poland, and they were like the most concentrated, sweetest strawberry you dream about)
4. Heirloom apple/pear (could not live without these)
5. A ripe, juicy white peach/a Polish plum (peaches in America, plums in Poland)

Honorable mention: mango (I’ve never had a good fresh mango, living in northern Virginia, but in PR I had an incredible mango smoothie, and I can understand why people love mangos.

Honorable mention 2: grape (only tried a bad rambutan once, never had lychee, so don’t know if I’d prefer them over grapes. Good grapes, especially the darker ones, are wonderful)

As for tropical, I’ve tasted quite a few of the “favorites,” but only from supermarkets where the tropical fruit section consists of three rock-hard fruits. I had a fermented cherimoya, a rotten soursop, unrepentant rambutans, unripe mangos, an unripe Mamey sapote, a bad jackfruit, a good but not amazing yellow dragonfruit, among others. In PR, I had a rose apple, that was really good but not as good as apples can get, a Spanish tamarind, also really good but just not a top 5 fruit, a jaboticaba, which for some reason I didn’t find all that good, and a Spanish lime, which was good but the seed was too big, all (except the Spanish lime) thanks to Monstoso Gardens (wish I came a month or two later, then it would be really nice). I also recently had the opportunity to eat a slightly-unripe star fruit from a guy’s “inferior” tree, and it was so incredibly juicy and flavorful, I was blown away. Not top 5 because I only had one and because the shape doesn’t really help in eating, but still, I’m sure that there are a number of fruit that if I have fresh straight off the tree which could break my top 5.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 09, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »
Although peaches are absolutely a great fruit, mango far exceeds peach in sweetness, juiciness, melting lushness, and complexity and diversity of flavor.
John

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
Its hard to pick only 5 favorites but these I grow in my yard.

1- Pluots
2- Mandarins- I grow 12 varieties
3- Avocado's-  8 varieties
4- Strawberries- 8 varieties
5- Blueberries- 12 varieties

I left out these wonderful fruits I grow. Mulberries, Plums, Nectarines, Peaches, Tomatoes, Cara Cara, Moro Blood, 8 different raspberries.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #453 on: January 09, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »
1. peach
2. lychee/longan
3. some fig varieties
4. loquat
5. alpine strawberry

EΝΙΓΜΑ!

Not sure why mangoes are underappreciated in Europe. Meanwhile those crusty grapes often called lychees are revered. You have your brilliant Vitis legacy, don't substitute it with the Chinese imitation!

Greece and Cyprus are the closest European countries to India... even Alexander of Macedon made it all the way there. Who knows if he got to taste a mango?
Crusty grapes?  :o Lychees don't taste anything like any variety of grape to me. But to each his own. (My guess is you've never had some of the better lychees.)
Oscar

dingaling

• Far Northern Australia zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 10, 2020, 12:21:25 AM »
My top 5 fruit would be as follows,
Durian, Durian, Durian, Durian and mangosteen.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 10, 2020, 02:40:01 AM »
@fruitlovers
Don't read too much into my expressions, the "crusty grapes" reference was more in relation to the fact that a coarse shell surrounds the lychee aril. The pulp texture of many grapes is the same as lychee, and yes, flavor not so different in my opinion.

I have tasted excellent lychees, I tend to detect a vanilla component in the best ones. Not really sure what people mean by rose water. The last time I think I had contact with that was when a Christian fundamentalist was trying to perform an ad hoc exorcism on me. It mustn't have worked, because I grow a Buddha's Hand fruit right next to a bodi tree.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 10, 2020, 03:26:07 AM »
In no particular order for the first 4;
-Durians especially in the monthong style
-Apricots and big fat juicy ripe ones
-Sweet flavicarpa passionfruit
-lychees and especially big fat FZS,tai so and erdon lee
-Duku langsat,Hillary white atemoya,muscat grapes,various berries all tied for 5th place

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 10, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »
Its hard to pick only 5 favorites but these I grow in my yard.
1- Pluots
2- Mandarins- I grow 12 varieties
3- Avocado's-  8 varieties
4- Strawberries- 8 varieties
5- Blueberries- 12 varieties
Wow! So many varieties of each, especially strawberries and blueberries.  Who knew?  That's fantastic.
John

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 10, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
My current top 5 would have to be:
1. Genip/mamoncillo
2. Atemoya or sugar apple
3. Abiu
4. Jackfruit
5. Sapodilla

There's a lot of fruit that I need to try that I'm sure would change this list.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #459 on: January 11, 2020, 12:24:20 AM »
@fruitlovers
Don't read too much into my expressions, the "crusty grapes" reference was more in relation to the fact that a coarse shell surrounds the lychee aril. The pulp texture of many grapes is the same as lychee, and yes, flavor not so different in my opinion.

I have tasted excellent lychees, I tend to detect a vanilla component in the best ones. Not really sure what people mean by rose water. The last time I think I had contact with that was when a Christian fundamentalist was trying to perform an ad hoc exorcism on me. It mustn't have worked, because I grow a Buddha's Hand fruit right next to a bodi tree.
By rose water people are talking about the peculiar and attractive smell that lychees give out. To me that taste of lychee is a lot more complex than grapes, for example has a hint of bitterness, which grapes don't have. Also the texture of grapes is a lot softer and more spongy than lychees.
Oscar

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2020, 04:14:35 AM »
@fruitlovers

By rose water people are talking about the peculiar and attractive smell that lychees give out. To me that taste of lychee is a lot more complex than grapes, for example has a hint of bitterness, which grapes don't have. Also the texture of grapes is a lot softer and more spongy than lychees.
To me lychees tastes like a sweet fruit on wich somewhone poured somme cheap, lady perfume.
Grapes taste like mangosteen somewhat ,with mangosteen being better or equal to somme good grapes.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »
@fruitlovers

IMO is a funny thing... lol... But I'm with you fruitlovers in that I cannot detect any rosewater lol... I hope we are eating different varieties than the rosewater sensing members.... I do detect rosewater in my common named "roseapple" and here is example of which roseapple as more than one option for common names & this one is ripe yellow color :::  https://www.etsy.com/listing/556181979/rose-apple-cay-ly-1-starter-4-tall-ship?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ts1-a-craft_supplies_and_tools-floral_and_garden_supplies-greenery_and_gardening-plants-other&utm_custom1=a0eca80a-28d2-44bc-b7b8-9d7ff3253344&utm_content=go_2063076368_76452845455_367965823374_pla-295474484547_c__556181979&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjSvbQA85W8rBFUM_IKC8SzUwUhVXYW2XryKzsV-PotzSCvTHXa3w7saAnaeEALw_wcB

I don't think any of my 3 lychee varieties: Mauritus, sweet tart or hap ip, or brewster taste like rosewater at my location.... once again just IMO... lol.

lol... I just read seawalnut tasting cheap perfume.... lol...  I have tasted cheap perfurme on some "ladies" skin lol...lol... it was bitter & terrible.... nothing like my lychees....

To decrease the bitterness, Do Not bite the shell.... lol.... the shell does have a bitter taste.... thus we can agree.... lol...     I hope we all stay away from the gals with the cheap perfume.... lol...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:33:38 PM by palmcity »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
Palmcity,in my comparison i said only the perfume was cheap, not the lady.
No wonder people say they smell like rose water ,altough i agree with you that it doeant smell like roses but like lychees.
Its too much of a good thing and becomes disgusting,too much flavour.
I can still eat them out of curiosity or in a survival situation because i have a tough stomack like a dog.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2020, 04:22:47 PM »
@fruitlovers

IMO is a funny thing... lol... But I'm with you fruitlovers in that I cannot detect any rosewater lol... I hope we are eating different varieties than the rosewater sensing members.... I do detect rosewater in my common named "roseapple" and here is example of which roseapple as more than one option for common names & this one is ripe yellow color :::  https://www.etsy.com/listing/556181979/rose-apple-cay-ly-1-starter-4-tall-ship?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ts1-a-craft_supplies_and_tools-floral_and_garden_supplies-greenery_and_gardening-plants-other&utm_custom1=a0eca80a-28d2-44bc-b7b8-9d7ff3253344&utm_content=go_2063076368_76452845455_367965823374_pla-295474484547_c__556181979&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjSvbQA85W8rBFUM_IKC8SzUwUhVXYW2XryKzsV-PotzSCvTHXa3w7saAnaeEALw_wcB

I don't think any of my 3 lychee varieties: Mauritus, sweet tart or hap ip, or brewster taste like rosewater at my location.... once again just IMO... lol.

lol... I just read seawalnut tasting cheap perfume.... lol...  I have tasted cheap perfurme on some "ladies" skin lol...lol... it was bitter & terrible.... nothing like my lychees....

To decrease the bitterness, Do Not bite the shell.... lol.... the shell does have a bitter taste.... thus we can agree.... lol...     I hope we all stay away from the gals with the cheap perfume.... lol...
I kind of like that hint of bitterness in lychees, so enjoy biting into exterior. But i think there is also a hint of bitterness also in thin layer of interior skin that is around the shell. Anyways, lychees will forever be in my top 10. It's very frustrating living in a place that's not really that great for my two favorite fruits: mangoes and lychees. I get some, but not enough! But i can't complain because almost everything else does so great here. Getting tons of rambutans right now. And just harvested many hundreds of pounds of exquisite durians!  :) 8) 8)
Oscar

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
I kind of like that hint of bitterness in lychees, so enjoy biting into exterior. But i think there is also a hint of bitterness also in thin layer of interior skin that is around the shell. Anyways, lychees will forever be in my top 10. It's very frustrating living in a place that's not really that great for my two favorite fruits: mangoes and lychees. I get some, but not enough! But i can't complain because almost everything else does so great here. Getting tons of rambutans right now. And just harvested many hundreds of pounds of exquisite durians!  :) 8) 8)
There must be other parts of your island that are good for mangoes and lychees. (?)  I'd sure like to taste those durians!
John

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2020, 10:21:13 AM »
I guess for me my top 5 would be

Persimmon
Nectarine
Pear
Avocado
Mango

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
At My location the following are wonderful.

In Order

1.  Mangos - Newer top Zill Cultivars tree-ripened.
2.  Tropic Gold  or Royal Apricots - Tree Ripened in June (Rich complex flavor, store Apricots suck)
3.  Fresh Homegrown Strawberries
4.  Fresh Farmers Market Big Cherrys (at peak firmness and flavor, if they are soft & overripe they suck)
5.  Fresh Homegrown Blueberries (Southmoon in particular)
6.  Homegrown apples (Not fuji but lesser know varieties from days past) Multi Grafted Trees work well. Apples are easy to graft.
7.  Kinnow Mandarin tree-ripened in May (Best Tasting Late Season Mandarin). Washington Navel Orange in March is also Great.
8.  Mulberries - Oscar and Black Persian (Better than Blackberries)
9.  Lychee - Brewster grows well at my location and tastes great
10.  Cherimoya - Various varieties

Johnny

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #467 on: January 13, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »
There must be other parts of your island that are good for mangoes and lychees. (?)  I'd sure like to taste those durians!
I live on the windward/wet side of the island. Direct opposite side, the leeward/dry Kona side is much better for mangoes and lychees. But that is like 100 miles away!
Oscar

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »
I live on the windward/wet side of the island. Direct opposite side, the leeward/dry Kona side is much better for mangoes and lychees. But that is like 100 miles away!
100 miles!  I guess we don't realize how big the Big Island is!
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #469 on: January 13, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »
100 miles!  I guess we don't realize how big the Big Island is!
Much bigger than all the other 7 islands put together. Same size as Puerto Rico.
Oscar

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 14, 2020, 09:40:05 PM »
Mango       flavorites that i grow
Guava
Barbados cherry
Lime
fuyu persimmon

Mango Guava Barbados cherry juices with lime for taste and  longevity

Halawi (Arabic for “sweet”) dates and  Iraq, Khadrawy dates  My favorite  :) :) :)

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 15, 2020, 08:27:39 AM »
@bovine421

Lime and barbados cherry ?

When I grow up, I'm going to bovine university!
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 15, 2020, 08:31:03 AM »
Lemon and lime are sure great for flavoring food and drink!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 15, 2020, 08:25:44 PM »
Lime is good on fish or meats and not just for flavoring it can neutralize some dangerous bacteria.  I use it in Mango juice to keep it good for up to 3 weeks    Guava mixed with Barbados cherry and lime is awesome juice!!!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:47:49 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 16, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »
For fresh eating and non-cooking or savoury fruits:

1. Feijoa - From a borderline colder area such as New Zealand.  It is a completely different fruit in those areas
2. Soursop
3. Jakfruit - Soft - I have yet to try a crisp variety
4. Achacha
5. Mangosteen