Author Topic: Super Hass or Nishikawa....Need help deciding  (Read 3421 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Super Hass or Nishikawa....Need help deciding
« on: November 26, 2019, 01:24:58 AM »
Starting to run out of tree space.  Have a spot for either a Super Hass or Nishikaawa avocado.  I have tasted Super Hass before, but not Nishikawa.  What say you?
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hass or Nishikawa....Need help deciding
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »
I have the same question in my yard.
Seems like taste wise they are both in similar category of high oil content nutty flavor like the CA Hass. From what i have researched Nishikawa is a vigorous grower and tends to grow upright pretty fast, compared to Super Hass which has long side branches and can be pruned to have a horizontal spread. In productivity both produce well but both may skip a year and bear alternate years. And if i am not wrong i have heard both have fruits ripening around the same time Oct-Nov here in So Florida. It all comes down the space you have in your yard and disease resistance. I have not heard much about their disease issues, did hear about uneven ripening in Super hass but that might just be in young immature trees and would improve eventually as tree matures.
I have planted a Day, Oro negro and just got a Maria Black. I was thinking to add Wurtz but then have been hearing a lot of the Super Hass and Nishikawa lately.
Let me know what you decided to go with and why?
Satya

poofystuff

• Melbourne, Florida 9B/10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »
I have tasted both and have both in my collection of trees. Both taste very similar to me, although I am definitely not an avocado aficionado to determine subtle differences in flavor. Neither tree has fruited for me but I have only had them for a year and were transplanted from a 3 gal pot. Both have grown like absolute weeds with the Nishikawa growing very upright and the Super Hass having more lateral branches with decent upright growth. The Nishikawa grew more overall, definitely very vigorous. Where I am, I would go with Nishikawa as its a little more proven here (I know others that grow it with success here) and don't have too much local knowledge on Super Hass.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:26:13 AM by poofystuff »

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:33:58 PM »
The flavor of Super Hass is VERY good when properly ripened.  It does seem to take a week longer than any other avocado to soften up on the kitchen counter and the uneven ripening issues are apparent.  One side soft..other side hard...etc.  You sort of have to eat the ripe parts & save the rest for later. Having said that the flavor of Super Hass immediately put it on my top 5 list so the ripening issues aren't a deal breaker for me.  Our choices for in Florida for Hass type avocado's can be limited so we can't be too picky.  I have made space in the yard for Super Hass which says a lot as I'm very selective as I have limited space.  Ironically to my surprise the much berated Florida Hass I got from Squam was VERY good and I would plant it, if it had a better reputation for not having issues.

In my discussion with Squam about Super Hass & Nishikawa this is what he had to say.  I highly value & respect his knowledge and experience.  Also if anyone is interested Alex/Squam also ships  avocados now.........try his Oro Negros if you have never had them before.  It's arguably the best tasting & most versatile Florida variety there is.

"Super Hass like others seems rather unpredictable in terms of its ripening characteristics. We’re at the point where some of them are splitting on the tree and falling off. I would say it’s equal to Nishikawa in eating quality, but our Super Hass tree has performed much better in terms of overall tree health and production. That may not be representative of how Nishikawa would perform in your area though. We’ve been trying to “revive” our Nishikawa tree and though it’s been very well cared for, it barely grows.

So based on just this experience I’d probably pick Super Hass, but I might try topworking a tree into Nishikawa to see if I can get a bigger/healthier one to evaluate".

----------------------------------------------

I would love to try a Nishikawa if anyone knows where I can procure a few.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:38:27 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 04:47:20 PM »
I haven't tasted either, but from everything I've read, especially here on the forum, Nishikawa sounds like the winner to me.
John

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 10:56:10 PM »
The more I read about them the taste seems quite similar so it may just boil down tree performance and the season Nov-Dec for Nishikawa and Sept-Oct for Super Hass.  I would be interested to hear from anyone with a VERY MATURE Super Hass to know if the uneven ripening issues become less of an issue as the tree gets older.  If Nishikawa's grow ok then that might be the deciding factor.  The uneven ripening with the Super Hass was
also unripe flesh contained within ripe flesh.  Sort of like eating mashed potatoes with rubber bands in them.  Also the ripening differences were days apart if the other parts ripened at all. The parts that did ripen were very good but it was only about half the fruit.

Squam said his Nishikawa hasn't grown well despite good care.....tho others have said otherwise. 

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:56:01 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 10:17:26 AM »
My two Nishikawa trees have grown well. Each is over 8 feet tall and spread. They are in a row with many other varieties treated the same and are better than some on growth. I picked about 20 a week ago and they are starting to ripen today.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
My two Nishikawa trees have grown well. Each is over 8 feet tall and spread. They are in a row with many other varieties treated the same and are better than some on growth. I picked about 20 a week ago and they are starting to ripen today.
Let us know about quality and FLAVOR.
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
Both quality and flavor have been excellent. I brought a box of 20 to the family reunion up north this week and everybody is happy.
Those who like Hass are impressed with flavor and the size is larger than the Hass they get in the market.
Nice buttery pasty is the way they are describing them. I will have some for sale next week at the farm on Pine Island.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 10:32:07 PM »
Anyone have Nishikawa scions to sale me? How cold hardy are they ?

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 06:18:03 AM »
Just found this thread . I have 2 Nishikawa's here in Naples . They couldn't be any different from each other . I grows slow and produces a few fruit  . The other Is growing much faster and produces a lot of fruit . The one thing they have in common is the main trunk splits and they have 2 trunks now . These trees like to spread . I really like the taste and am looking forward to November . I will probably remove one of them and replace with something that ripens at a different time . Anyone close to the Naples area that has some different varieties and wants to swap some let me know .  Mike

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 08:49:47 AM »
I was already planning on purchasing a 7 gallon Super hass from tropical Acre Farms next month. After reading this thread I will still do so but have Alex graft Nishikawa onto it . That should complement my monroe and give me an extended season. I would plant both but I'm out of space.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:53:23 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »
Just found this thread . I have 2 Nishikawa's here in Naples . They couldn't be any different from each other . I grows slow and produces a few fruit  . The other Is growing much faster and produces a lot of fruit . The one thing they have in common is the main trunk splits and they have 2 trunks now . These trees like to spread . I really like the taste and am looking forward to November . I will probably remove one of them and replace with something that ripens at a different time . Anyone close to the Naples area that has some different varieties and wants to swap some let me know .  Mike
Doesn't it sound like the issue could be the rootstock?
John

kinghappy

• Naples, Fl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 10:19:06 AM »
I know this is an older thread but thought I would post an update here. Just picked my last avocados off the Nish. Got the first in late oct. a little early but still good. Have been picking all the way to mid Feb. Never had them on so long. Tree is starting to bloom now so I thought I should remove the remaining fruit. Can avocados still have fruit and flower successfully ?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »
I know this is an older thread but thought I would post an update here. Just picked my last avocados off the Nish. Got the first in late oct. a little early but still good. Have been picking all the way to mid Feb. Never had them on so long. Tree is starting to bloom now so I thought I should remove the remaining fruit. Can avocados still have fruit and flower successfully ?
Did the flavor change a lot between October and now?
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk