Author Topic: Extra thorny Meyer lemon  (Read 1356 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Extra thorny Meyer lemon
« on: January 29, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
Hello,
I have a meyer lemon tree that is producing very thick and rapidly growing limbs. These limbs have monster thorns on them.
They do appear to be above the graft as some of them are coming from pretty high up.

--Should I prune these back?

My tree is very dense and I'm in dire need of a clean up prune anyways but I haven't gotten around to harvesting the insane amount of lemons it's producing yet...

Heres a picture of the tree (in the center)
I can get a closer picture later if needed but I'm not at home right now.

Thanks,
-Kris

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Extra thorny Meyer lemon
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
It could be water sprouts. Is it even grafted? Meyer is most commonly propagated by rooting cuttings.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »
Honestly I'm not sure. The tree was put in by the previous owner and he said grafted on dwarf rootstalk but his memory is questionable at times...
-Kris

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:22:08 PM »

-Kris

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »
You should see the thorns on some sweet oranges!  My tarocco puts out 3in long thorns all over

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 10:30:37 PM »
haha these thorns were enough to scar my old dog right under the eye. I'll pass on the 3 inchers :D
-Kris

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 07:23:57 AM »
I notice that most all of the tree's fruit production is limited to the bottom section of the tree, with very little production in the higher portion.  Also the tree seems to be very dense and compact with little sun able to enter into the center of the tree.   If It was my tree I would cut out the thick rapid, elongated, growing branches.  Most  likely water spouts.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »
 :Meyer lemon is famous for producing long water sprouts.......especially  if you have a wet season. I trim them out or if they are in a place that can support a good limb  l just cut them back and let them branch out. Meyer usually starts bearing at an early age and since it is usually a cutting, bears from the bottom uo. It takes a few seasons to get a whole tree coverage. New growth in the top does not always bloom & fruit.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
I notice that most all of the tree's fruit production is limited to the bottom section of the tree, with very little production in the higher portion.  Also the tree seems to be very dense and compact with little sun able to enter into the center of the tree.   If It was my tree I would cut out the thick rapid, elongated, growing branches.  Most  likely water spouts.
This is the first year I let any branches on the tree get tall. That's probably why it's all in the bottom. New growth in the top is flowering now.

Thanks for the input
-Kris