Author Topic: Tips for grafting onto my Mango tree  (Read 1212 times)

Gonzo65

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
Tips for grafting onto my Mango tree
« on: July 08, 2019, 03:50:01 AM »
I am new to grafting and am looking to graft onto my tree. I have been growing it from seed for about 7 years now and it has produced no fruit. I was wondering where I would graft onto and if I can graft half of the tree (so that half is the new kind and half is the original tree). Would appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks guys!

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for grafting onto my Mango tree
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
Go to youtube and search TrulyTropical.  She makes a video that shows you how to topwork a tree with a different type of mango.   What type of seedling did you plant?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:35:03 PM »
It’s a fun project I’m doing the same !

Good luck!

Ed

TT VIDEO
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyDpXouUAiU
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:39:49 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
Hi Gonzo , you can do it.
I started watching you tube videos on how to graft for a full week last summer.
I then bought parafilm & buddy tape  ( from Amazon) some stretchy rubber bands #117 , $1.00 plastic boxcutter type thingy from the .99c store with extra packs of disposable  blades 6-8 in a pack from the .99c store.
I only do cleft grafts which now i get at least 90-95% success. I practiced all summer on my neighbors huge citrus trees and now love doing it and so will you.
I have to admit i cut my thumbs a few times in the beginning ( price to pay for learning a new skill) , but it was worth it. Now i can graft guavas, mangoes, citrus or whatever with no problem.
A few tips
Always make sure you use a sharp cutting tool.
Spray your cutting tool with a solution of water and alcohol b4 and after grafting
Make sure whatever you are grafting onto is in active growth
Learn to prepare/ wrap scion with parafilm b4 using
Try to graft with as fresh scion as possible to improve your success

Start watching Chris' grafting videos and also look up Dr. David Fairchild cleft graft and side Veneer graft videos.
Practice whatever feels more comfortable to you
Mike

sobars_machado

• India, Maharashtra, Mumbai, Vasai (Konkan region - Tropical)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 05:12:44 PM »
I would just leave the bottom branches as they are and will start grafting all branches above the big V shape.

I am also having one big seedling tree, 18 years old, which i started grafting 2 years ago. 1st year i just pruned the top branches, 2nd year i did graft 5 varieties on 5 main branches (each main branch got 4-5 branches grafted of the same variety), so, the grafts done last year, somewhere in July /August 2018, from them 3 varieties already fruited this year. See my facebook page for details/photos 

https://www.facebook.com/sobars.machado/media_set?set=a.10218340236400902&type=3

So enjoy your adventure and keep us updated about the progress.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:03:37 PM by sobars_machado »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk