Author Topic: Citrus Trees Dead from Greening - Time to Give up in Dooryard Citrus?  (Read 2391 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I have now lost most of the 20 or so mature citrus trees I have planted over the years.  I am afraid to due to HRB I have planted my last citrus tree.  From everything I have read the experts are really no closer to finding a cure or solution than they were at the beginning.

Please give me one good reason to still plant citrus.  I am afraid HRB has won and no cure will be found in my lifetime.  I will continue to plant other fruit trees, but sadly I think I will never plant another citrus tree again.  Anyone want to try and convince me otherwise?
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Trees Dead from Greening - Time to Give up in Dooryard Citrus?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:27:07 AM »
Tropical storms in FL will require a very strong enclosure. I'm afraid that if citrus isn't that valuable to you, it probably isn't worth the effort.

Then again, if citrus is your jam, then Fort-knox style containment should be possible, having an air handler to keep the pressure inside the enclosure higher than outside, and having a multidoor access point with timing protocols to keep the inside pressure from dropping would be a possible solution.

How much do you like citrus?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
Sorry for your loss. I am afraid that your location dictates that hlb is something that you will have to live with at pressnt unless you have very deep pockets and are able to build the required enclosures. Like you door yard citrus in your area, I think, is a thing that is dissapointing and fruitless, in more ways than one. Lets hope that we get a way to continue to grow in spite of the drawbacks.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »
How about growing some finger limes. Asian citrus psyllids, vectors of HLB, avoid feeding on finger limes.
https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/trade_journals/2017/2017_January_lime.pdf
My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
Finger limes do show some tolerance to hlb...but they still suffer from it. I have not decided whether they just show some tolerance to hlb or if they just dont show the symptoms as quick or as plentiful  as other citrus. One can grow finger limes....but how many can one use. It is satisfying to grow them.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
I have now lost most of the 20 or so mature citrus trees I have planted over the years.  I am afraid to due to HRB I have planted my last citrus tree.  From everything I have read the experts are really no closer to finding a cure or solution than they were at the beginning.

Please give me one good reason to still plant citrus.  I am afraid HRB has won and no cure will be found in my lifetime.  I will continue to plant other fruit trees, but sadly I think I will never plant another citrus tree again.  Anyone want to try and convince me otherwise?
http://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/phag/2017/05/19/uf-sugar-belle-citrus-variety-more-tolerant-to-greening/

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »

http://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/phag/2017/05/19/uf-sugar-belle-citrus-variety-more-tolerant-to-greening/

Sugar belle is available from Brite Leaf (it may not be at this moment).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 09:12:12 PM »
Hardy Vermont, great recommendation.  Sugar Belle came to my mind also.  If I'm correct, I believe Sugar Belle shows some tolerance to HLB but is not actually resistant.  Is this your understanding?

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 02:38:39 AM »
Hardy Vermont, great recommendation.  Sugar Belle came to my mind also.  If I'm correct, I believe Sugar Belle shows some tolerance to HLB but is not actually resistant.  Is this your understanding?
Yes, that is my understanding.  It has the disease present but it does not show greening symptoms. 
"Sugar Belle flopped in its original release because it came out right around the same time HLB started causing major concern. The one grower that did buy the trees at that time, however, let them live after they became infected when they were 2 years old. Now 10 years old, the trees are still beautiful and productive, Gmitter said"
https://www.thepacker.com/article/greening-tolerant-citrus-varieties-gaining-interest

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
HardyVermong, nice article, thanks.  I kind of forgot about Bingo.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »
Finger limes do show some tolerance to hlb...but they still suffer from it. I have not decided whether they just show some tolerance to hlb or if they just dont show the symptoms as quick or as plentiful  as other citrus. One can grow finger limes....but how many can one use. It is satisfying to grow them.
If sold they can still fetch a good price.
My name is Cindy

dlhvac

• love to grow citrus and mangoes avocado
    • durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »
i buy the brassinolide on ebay or amazon dont buy the chinese on buy the one on ebay that says made in America . It only takes a little bi led the recommended dose and my trees have fully recovered  they send you a tiny spoon i just double the recommended amount , my trees have fully recovered its great. there is also another study where they use nano particle zinc . but you cant buy nano zinc that small it must be 5.4 nanometers or smaller to penetrate the leaves and enter the phloem and kill the bacteria. you have to take zinc oxide and mix it with hydrochloric acid and put it in one of those labratory magnetic spinners and heat and stir it for 8 hours at 150f i use both and mix them but the brassinolide works on its own. any questions email me dwlemal@gmail.com
                                                       doug

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjR9Y2DiaPkAhUiiOAKHXxxCacQFjABegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpmc%2Farticles%2FPMC4701442%2F&usg=AOvVaw2VvyC_1o1S0DsOcszj_GQy
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:40:29 AM by dlhvac »

dlhvac

• durant florida 9B
    • View Profile

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
Very interesting and hopeful.  As always time will tell.

dlhvac

• durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »
http://citrusindustry.net/2017/05/01/brassinosteroid-and-nutrient-uptake-studies-for-hlb/

Try this you can buy on eBay get the one that says made in America the plant growth hormone works to reverse HLB